Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

The internet is the universal sewer.

Jonny 290 posted:

on the upside

this is absolutely the end of the democratic party

remember when the tea party showed up out of nowhere and threatened to usurp the GOP's power and they did a careful dance to integrate them into the mainline platform
the democrats aren't capable of that
its over for the dnc
welcome to antifa, bitch

amy mcgrath raised the better part of a hundred million dollars, nothing is changing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress you. I live in the reality where I am likely to be marched off to the gas chambers for being The Other. you #nojoe'd for masturbatory self-righteousness.

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

oh great, i'm so principled i voted for gloria or howie, enjoy another 4 years of trumpfest. assholes.

you really think the tiny handful of ppl that voted 3rd party is why the dems are losing elections?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't even know what I'm going to feel good about in the near future
the ACA will be dead soon

you just found one!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

NoJoers: please summarize, right here, why your vote is more important potentially than the lives of me and my fellow queer disabled leftist posters.

the same way your determination to keep voting for these neoliberal ghouls is more important than universal health care, meaningful criminal justice reform or a green new deal i guess?

(neither has any meaningful effect whatsoever)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

Nearly all of the positive things here in Oregon passed so Iím feeling pretty good overall!

Free preschool for every child in the county paid for by taxes on high earners

Decriminalized possession of small amounts of drugs like heroin and meth, with tax revenue from legal pot being redirected to rehab programs

Legalized therapeutic use of Psilocybin

Higher taxes on tobacco and nicotine vapes (this tends to hurt the poor more, but it does reduce smoking and vaping and tends to help poor children more with lack of exposure so Iím still for it)

New independent oversight board for the pigs at PPB

On the negatory side a regional measure for a payroll tax to fund billions of (largely light rail) infrastructure failed, and a shithead that took money from the cop union made it onto city council :/

Canít always win Ďem all but we came drat close.

good poo poo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

just out of curiosity, what is a therapeutic use for Psilocybin

your current mental state

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

NPR's had talking heads on all day saying that the Democrats need to 'reach out to the rural blue collar voters they've lost and get away from identity politics'

i agree with them, problem is once you drop idpol all you've really got is class politics and lol that ain't happening with this current crop they got running the dnc/dccc

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

infernal machines posted:

no, look, we just need to reach across the isle and come together... to poo poo on those folks. you know the ones i mean

yeah, the rich.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

intersectional discussions are usually pretty fruitful but they usually require one on one conversations

that's been one of the most interesting aspects of a lot of leftist twitter. they've actually managed to deploy id/race as an obstacle to discussing class and material redistribution about as effectively as the GOP did with the southern strategy back in the 70s.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

reducing everyone to just working class doesnít really work since the lived experience of a PoC or LGBTQ+ working class individual will not be anywhere similar to the lived experienced of a white cishet dude

Being poor, overworked, underpaid, loaded down with debt, bled dry by rent prices, uninsured with no prospects of any of that ever improving are lived experiences.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

turns out you need a phd in gender studies to run a political campaign based on taking money from rich ppl and giving it to poor ppl

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Should poor white and black people in the 30s (or today) not have unionized? Their experiences were radically different. Labor movements figured out pretty quick that building common ground is key, isnít that what solidarity means?

There was a huge effort to do precisely that in the 1890s! A huge southern union of agricultural workers (mostly black) tried to hook up with the big one out in the midwest (mostly white), and the midwest one was like lol, no, you're black. The negative effects of this are still to be felt to this day!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

and disjunctionality is the key to defeating labor movements

i've never heard that term before but i like it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

what the gently caress is it with people and dynasties

dynasties are just brands of DNA

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i just hop out of the trees with my merry men to slit their throats, take their gold, and leave their bodies hanging on the outskirts of sherwood forest

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

It's sweepstakes odds that AOC doesn't pull an Obama if she makes it into office, imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

on the other hand a Kennedy just ate poo poo in Massachusetts so

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

lol. grow up and recognize that there's nuance between la-la-la fingers in ears and total defeatist cynicism. just try to increase the amount of positivity in the world, endlessmoronity

i reckon there's a nuance between realistically reading a situation and defeatist cynicism. if you're needing some positivity you might want to try looking for it somewhere other than american politics.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

qirex posted:

I just checked and the military is 57% white so randomly selecting 100 white soldiers is pretty much a statistical impossibility

Not if they're officers!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

contrast to cops, who are predominantly middle class racists who signed up to bully people.

preface this by saying i'm not defending cops in any way, shape or form, but in a lot of places cop is one of the very few jobs with decent benefits available to people without college degrees

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody cares or wants to guillotine them. its hosed up

that's the part that gets me. i understand how it got that way, it just flabbergasts me that it works.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

The GOPís going to look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and say ďWe gotta lower the age of consent.Ē

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

vote blue no matter who

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I enlisted out of Mississippi and through a series of unfortunate events they taught me how to write code and now I have a tech job. the ultimate success story! just donít talk about the ptsd, the abusive ex wife, and various physical ailments (I canít hear and it sucks rear end!) that I, and many others like me, have to deal with

Make sure you have a pitch perfect understanding of an undergraduates understanding of gender and race else truly terrible things await you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

eager to see how biden's cabinet of khive twitter posters are gonna heal the soul of the nation

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

klosterdev posted:

If America survived four years with someone actively destructive in charge we'll be fine with Puddingbrain DoNothing

we can finally invade Syria!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

once biden's officially in yes we definitely have to keep on hammering just as hard as we did when bernie was the frontrunner, keep fighting like when george floyd died.

i'm sure you'll make a lot of progress with that

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

i'm very happy for the khive, they're very nice ppl and really deserve this victory

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

VICTORY!!!

https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/1324896645297954816

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

the wins keep rolling in

https://twitter.com/raaleh/status/1325218609195610114

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

lifting straight from wikipedia from her run for governor of California as a Republican (she lost):

quote:

Environment

Whitman said that if elected, on her first day she would have suspended AB 32, the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, for a year to study its potential economic implications. AB 32 requires the state to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2020.

Illegal immigration

She stated that illegal immigrant students should be prohibited from attending state-funded institutions of higher education.

Marriage, abortion and marijuana

During the 2010 California gubernatorial election, Whitman supported California's Proposition 8, which reversed In re Marriage Cases and defined marriage as a union between one man and one woman in the state.

Whitman has said that the legalization of marijuana is not what any law enforcement person would suggest for any reason and that "this is the worst idea [she has] ever seen."

Infrastructure

Whitman does not support the California High-Speed Rail project. In a 2010 letter to the Sacramento Bee Whitman's spokeswoman Sarah Pompei said, "Meg believes the state cannot afford the costs associated with high-speed rail due to our current fiscal crisis."

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

i didn't think biden could actually be worse than trump, but it looks like he's ready to give it a go

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

infernal machines posted:

meg whitman, the woman who was worth negative billions to hp

as in their stock jumped when she resigned, after years of running them into the ground.

good call joe. the future's so bright i've gotta wear shades

mayor of LA as transport secretary, lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

i'm not really sure that this is the death of the american left or that biden will be a terrible president or whatever, he'll certainly be better than trump on some level, but there's more unknowns than knowns

it's going to be interesting to see how much traction the "blame the leftists for how bad the election went" camp gets. i think there's a very high probability in a Biden administration of a revanchism against the left the likes of which haven't been seen since McCarthyism.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

who gives a poo poo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

ray would have made fdr look like a fukin nub

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Hell yeah go squad

Can we please just have this moment to celebrate without you people coming in to doomify everything? Please?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

is this meant to be a joke or is there some doom here that i am not seeing?

more just a comment on sagebrush taking a break on cheering a biden victory to post something on whatever piece of poo poo he reads news on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

that was mean, sorry sagebrush