Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

echinopsis posted:

is this actually something people think should happen?

how do you not create a resentment based economy when you allow others to not work while others do?

i don't think the amount of welfare-based political resentment that exists is tied too closely to the actual particulars of how much welfare is handed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Apparently a lot of the vaccine logistics were modeled after and uses specialized equipment developed for the Dippin Dots distribution network.

Dippin' Dots has a subsidiary that exists entirely to sell cold transport to other companies for things exactly like this. (And to pelletize things, apparently.)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

echinopsis posted:

my question was what’s the impact/difference between borrowing a trillion (from who?) and printing a trillion

it is oft-repeated but inaccurate to say that the united states prints money to pay for things. “printing” dollars is done by the federal reserve for obscure technical purposes that are theoretically supposed to keep the economy stable and heathy; whether this is actually done well is beyond my knowledge. importantly, these decisions are not made by elected officials, which is bad in the sense that it insulates them from popular will, but really really good in the sense that it insulates them from popular will.

our enormous deficit spending is enabled by massive, massive loans given to us by people when treasury bills are periodically auctioned off. now in a sense this is “printing” money, in that we can spend dollars we didn’t have before, but each new dollar is accompanied by a negative future dollar of debt obligation, so it’s not free money in the “printing press” sense.

why can we run up such a huge tab? basically, because if we default on our debts, the world economy completely crashes, making the loans “risk-free” in a particular perverse yet real sense. this means that people are willing to accept extremely low interest rates on them, and we can borrow a lot. (occasionally the rates have even gone negative - people were paying us to hold dollars on their behalf.)

raminasi fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 19, 2021

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

shoeberto posted:

Good journalism!!! About investing!!! What!!!

it’s a weekly column or something and it’s usually pretty good. i love passages like this

quote:

Still of course one sees his point. Why is GameStop trading? Nobody in Galvin’s position—no regulator or politician or economist or CEO—goes around saying, like, “the point of the stock market is to be really fun and exciting and let people mess with each other and make some of them super rich more or less at random.” The point of the stock market is to Enable Price Discovery or Encourage Capital Formation or something boring like that.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Nevergirls posted:

It was literally his first two executive orders, but it turns out the executive branch is not all-powerful. He managed to get a lot of prisoners transferred out. McConnell gave a few speeches about keeping it open IIRC.

Even when congress is onboard, institutional inertia is a hell of a thing. Take, for example, the mandatory minimum sentence threshold for cocaine possession being increased from 50g to 280g in 2010:

those charts are wild, where are they from?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

a coup attempt that never could have succeeded because its perpetrators are almost incomprehensibly stupid is still a coup attempt

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Oneiros posted:

i think that at some point you need to start questioning the narrative of THOUSANDS OF CHUDS TRY TO OVERTHROW OUR PRECIOUS, LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT AND MAKE MOCKERY OF OUR SACRED PROCESSES and that point is when you realize they managed to do less (zero) damage to their supposed targets than a lone dude at a congressional baseball game

i understand that my position is weird enough that it might not be obvious so i'm going to make sure to spell it out explicitly: they didn't turn up, mill around aimlessly, and leave because they didn't intend to overturn election results. they did it because they didn't think their "plan" through beyond "show up." again:

raminasi posted:

almost incomprehensibly stupid

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Oneiros posted:

so it was a coup because they intended to overthrow the government but they also didn't actually plan to overthrow the government or do anything to overthrow the government :hmmyes:

they did have a plan. it was "go to the capitol and be angry." it's so obviously terrible that you're not recognizing it as a plan, but it was a plan.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

yeah rap sheets aren't very compelling in terms of establishing an intentional threat to the system, because they're tools to do that specific thing no matter what the actual circumstances are

more compelling is the protest's explicitly stated aim of trying to overturn the election result

which is a weird thing to disregard imo

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fortaleza posted:

I'm not defending them! I want these loving freaks nailed to the wall. They're not and never were a danger to our government or its members but they're certainly a danger to their neighbors or anyone that dares say a reasonable thing out loud near them in a grocery store aisle or parking lot.

I'm just downplaying the idea that this was a dangerous coup, calling it such is an insult to the people that actually get subjected to such things by us and is part of a sensationalized media narrative that I think we should steer clear of.

It's some of the most bizarre political theater of our lifetimes.

the risk was never from this particular mob directly, because, again, they were uncoordinated morons. the risk is that there are no consequences for inciting the mob; anyone who wants to effect an actual successful coup now knows that they can just keep trying until it works. and in order to create suitable consequences for this coup attempt, you have to acknowledge that it was a coup attempt.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i'm surprised a grandpa would want it set that low, aren't old people are always super cold

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

flakeloaf posted:

definitely don't kill that dog tho, rehome it or surrender it

i don't know anything about dog adoption or surrendering, did she just not do enough work to find a place for it? because "nobody would take this dog because it kept biting people" sounds reasonable on its face to someone like me without any relevant experience

(not to defend the article's tone or framing)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

yeah but my question is what you do if you get bamboozled by a “no takebacks, sucker” shelter like this woman claims she did. or if she’s just lying.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qirex posted:

one of my neighbors got a covid dog and the thing will bark for hours when the owners aren't around, probably because it's literally never been alone before

my girlfriend's dog wasn't this way before covid but is now, it's great. i don't understand how the dog doesn't at least tire herself out, barking nonstop for three hours seems exhausting.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

how could anyone prove the motivation or circumstances under which you decided to put your own dog down without deep knowledge of your everyday life?

there’s no way any of that poo poo is enforceable and even if it is i can’t think of a more peak america thing than a court case over a “rescue shelter” paying for a lawyer to sue someone that got a dog because they didn’t euthanize it “their way”

oh i interpreted the question as "if the shelter says they'll take the dog back when you adopt but they refuse if you try can you actually legally force them to"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

kitten emergency posted:

the republicans aren’t a fascist party and trump isn’t a fascist. he’s an egotistical, self-obsessed, narcissist but he has no actual ideology or ethos behind his actions. the GOP is entrenching themselves because they’d be stupid not to, what’s the point of power if you don’t use it? maybe the democrats in congress should take some notes since they control that and the presidency. what’s that? they’re going to just shrug and say that the republicans get to set the agenda because filibuster? oh well guess we should vote harder next time!

I’ll start giving a poo poo once my elected representatives do.

trump doesn't have an ideology himself beyond "trump" but the political messaging he has adopted, that has brought him great popularity with the republican base, and that is being celebrated and echoed by the rest of the republican party, is that we should eliminate democratic institutions because they protect undesirables (e.g. immigrants, journalists, sexual minorities) from purging, which is something that needs to be done in order to return the nation to its formal strength and glory. this is the domestic component of Actual Fascism. it doesn't really matter whether he believes it in his heart or whatever. he sees encouraging it as his path to power, and swearing fealty to trump and therefore trump's vision has become a litmus test for the republican party.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

kitten emergency posted:

the only difference is that trump said the quiet part out loud, the GOP has been pretty explicitly against immigration, gays, the disabled, etc. for decades now, it’s just that they used to have William f Buckley write articles about how it’s principled to murder homosexuals in the street or enslave prisoners; this unnecessary pastiche has been stripped away.

if the GOP is fash today they’ve been fash since Reagan at least, but that really diminishes “fascism” imo. it’s something different in America.

i think the disagreement here is whether them outright admitting that democracy is incompatible with their vision so democracy has to go counts as important. (obviously trump is not the first person to do this but he's definitely the highest profile one so far, and has given the rest of the party cover for it in an unprecedented way.) i doubt there's an objectively correct take here tbh.

and in my understanding, being willing to say the quiet part out loud is a necessary component of fascism. fascism isn't just extreme conservatism or whatever - the regressive poo poo it wants to do has to be embraced and celebrated as such. does this mean it's a useless concept? maybe. but it seems hard to argue that george "conservativism can be compassionate" w bush is "fascist" in the same way that donald "all journalists should be thrown in jail so i can be president for life" trump is.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

qirex posted:

new york state senate was the one where the dems started campaigning against other democrats to prevent a supermajority and maintain gridlock?

not a supermajority, a majority. they wanted to be kingmakers so they stopped caucusing with the rest of the dems, giving republicans control.

fart simpson posted:

joe biden is a satan level threat. he is the enemy of every living being on earth, he is one of those with the boot on your neck and on the necks of your children, he is a rapist and a pedophile, and has dedicated his life to upholding systemic racism and the concentration of wealth and power away from us and into the hands of the ruling class. gently caress you.

are you one of those people who makes fun of people who treat politics as a religion

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

lol never vote

the idc was effectively destroyed by getting voted out of office

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

RokosCockatrice posted:

What did people do in 1930's Germany that had any effect? Wait around for time travelers to come kill Hitler?

1930s german non-nazis largely had the opinion that the nazis were inconsequential clowns and the real threats to society were other, different factions of non-nazis

seems like something to avoid, in hindsight

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i know chudhood is basically a cult but i never expected them to get all the way to the mass suicide step

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Stereotype posted:

all cops are loving bastards

a question i have been grappling with is whether this applies to park rangers

i'm sure some are bastards but do they have the same institutional pressure to drum out the non-bastards that regular cops do?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The Fool posted:

not all rangers are cops

there are interpretive rangers that do all the talking and tours and maintenance

then protection rangers are legit feds and also do ems and search and rescue stuff

i mean the cop rangers specifically

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

my new source of financial stress is learning that my 62 year old mother has as much in her retirement accounts as my 35 year old self

i am substantially ahead of most of my peer group but nowhere near ready to retire in a few years and if i were 62 years old right now i'd be making GBS threads myself

i guess i know where all that surplus computer toucher money i'm earning is going to go in the next few decades

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mediaphage posted:

start thinking of a house with a dependent suite imo

yeah the thought has definitely crossed my mind but we live on opposite coasts so that would be a rough road for at least one of us. if it's necessary, it's necessary, but ughhhh

the silver lining is that this might be the wakeup call my girlfriend needs to start paying attention to her long-term financial planning

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i think thats the worst thing about what i imagine modern stuff is. like a billion texts back and forth or w/e. ugh

it's not, that's near the bottom of the list of problems with it. the actual fundamental problem is that every incentive makes the ideal solution to any issue to

Clark Nova posted:

just drop them

which means everyone is locked into this vicious cycle of constantly increasing sociopathy. anything smells wrong, just swipe left (or right or whichever one is rejection, i've been off the market long enough to forget), or ghost the texts, or flake on the meetup. basically just treat everyone else as disposable. so everyone does it and everyone thinks about everyone else that way and it's a horrible, horrible emotional foundation to actually meet someone you intend to spend time with and care about.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i met my girlfriend though mutual friends, which has the extremely important benefit that we both had to risk social capital to do it. we ended up liking each other a lot, but if we hadn't, either of us acting like creeps or jerks would have carried a real cost that we'd want to avoid.

internet people, though? they're not actually people. gently caress 'em. drat why does everyone on this platform suck rear end and treat everyone terribly, must be a huge coincidence

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Stereotype posted:

like how blatant does jeff bezos need to be before people call him out for intentionally manipulating the newspaper he owns to write articles focusing on how there are alternatives to taking all of his hoarded wealth and correcting the economic system that allowed him to amass it

that headline would be 100% at home at the nyt as well. the post didn’t publish that because of bezos, it published that because that’s the kind of outfit the post is.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Oneiros posted:

:jerkbag:

guillotine everyone wringing their hands over the "texture" of a loving uni campus, build soulless fifty-story concrete apartment blocks over their graves

good architects spend a lot of time thinking about the relationship between a building/space and the people within it because for many people that relationship is an important part of their lives. if anything, universities call for even more of a healthy such relationship because people spend difficult and formative years of their lives there. that guy is absolutely right to call out what a bad idea this is.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jonny 290 posted:

its me im the poster opening every post with "i know you're rich, but" but not realizing that a parent of two making 40k a year is taking the standard deduction every single time. my brain is huge and so smooth that nasa borrowed it to calibrate the JWST mirror

you get tax credits like the child tax credit irrespective of whether you itemize

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

in theory you don’t need to even file to claim the child tax credit (if you’re poor enough to not need to file), although i can’t speak to how many people know that or how well the alternative sign-up system works

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The neighbor was Indian and my dad is a lot darker skinned than the rest of the family so I wonder if it was some caste related thing. It was a strange interaction nevertheless.

i swear i've heard this exact "indian neighbor demanded a darker indian neighbor shovel his driveway because of a presumed caste difference" story before somewhere but i have no idea where

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Poopernickel posted:

The argument went that yes, he was there illegally to gently caress with protestors using his illegal gun. But under our legal system, it's not relevant to whether he was shooting in self-defense in the moment. Even though he 100% created the situation.

gotta love this hellworld country we're living in

this reminds me of zimmerman tbh. pick a fight with someone, make them think their life is in danger so that they respond in a way that makes you feel like *your* life is in danger, hey now you can kill them in "self defense." one weird trick!

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Plorkyeran posted:

it sounds like this one managed to crash without flying

american ingenuity :911:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jonny 290 posted:

it cannot be understated how much chuds hate modern society and want to die because dealing with a person who used to wear pants wants to wear dresses now is too hard

it going to very interesting to see the ultimate impact of a third of the country opposing not just the rest of our means or goals but the fundamental principle that it is good to solve problems, even if you have to work together to do it

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i never really understand what the solution is supposed to be in cases like this. a majority of the chamber categorically opposes good things, what’s the one weird trick to pass good things in that kind of environment

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PokeJoe posted:

there isn't one OP, our country is an oligarchy

so then what are people complaining about when they say the progressive caucus “gave up leverage” or whatever. unwinnable games might be stupid to play but it doesn’t really make sense to criticize any particular move someone makes in one.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fame Douglas posted:

He would have voted for the combined bill.

ah ok ty this is the argument that i didn’t understand was being made

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The_Franz posted:

you have to be ruthless to win, which they just don't understand

even the most outspoken, progressive dems are obsessed with :decorum: and won't go for the jugular when given the chance

i mean, it’s also that the progressives are the only ones who want the hostages to live in the first place. joe manchin doesn’t care whether the bills get spiked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

The_Franz posted:

the problem is, they aren't willing to take out the hostage takers to save the hostages

that's a constraint of our political system, not a question of willpower within it

if you think that the progressives should destroy the contemporary united states political system, well, sure, but even assuming they singlehandedly could, that's also what the right wing death cult wants, so we're kind of back to square one