Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The_Continental posted:

A lot of 90s style has been back in for a while now.

I had the disconcerting experience of watching a couple teenage girls at the thrift store squeal with delight over their "vintage finds" that were the sort of thing I would have worn in middle/high school (I'm 34 and graduated in 2005). They were particularly pleased with a faded denim skirt for some reason.

Target has a whole section that's basically 90s clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I dunno faded denim is fun after the whole raw denim bleeding on your socks or like sticking your pants in the freezer to wash them

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I like wearing a tie. I also like how most guys pick ugly, idiotic looking ties, which makes me in my good ties look better next to them :evilbuddy:

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Are skinny suits out of style again? I think I totally missed that one

I don't think they're out but I feel like they hit their skimpiest peak a few years ago and the wind has started to change. Same with jeans and such.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I just watched the episode of Voyager where they travel back to 1996 and and oh boy men's blazers are so loose and flappy. Are they back yet? I hope so. Seeing serious business men in unflattering, flappy clothes would make me smile.

100% if you look up mens fashion week youll see guys with over sized blazers, shorts and cross body bags.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ummmmmm, I’m wearing a 500 DOLLAR JUMPSUIT I THINK I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT HERE. :catbert:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I'll go further than "gently caress ties"

gently caress suits

- uniform of the enemy (bankers, insurance, real estate etc.)
- inconvenient and complex to put on, take off
- tie is literal noose, looks stupid, tons of stupid nerd knowledge about ties make you want to twist your head off like a jar lid
- all look the same, unless you're really into them like model-train-enthusiast-level into them, and anyway looking the same is the point
- not comfortable
- not appropriate outside except in fine, dry weather, but not too warm for the multiple layers/bad fabrics
- not appropriate indoors without removing at least one major piece of the suit
- that david byrne video was not real you can't buy those giant suits
- spin donut on dick all day waste time
- everybody who sees you in it knows you are the enemy
- at best they might give you the benefit of the doubt and say this guy could just be a bank teller or something
- but he's probably an rear end in a top hat, how many bank tellers are there in the world
- if you think they're cool you think donald trump who was born in one is cool
- donald trump has the only david byrne suits, you can't get one
- you're trying to fit in with the destroyers of humankind and the perpetuators of human misery
- don't wear them

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 1, 2020

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

gently caress suits

- tie is literal noose, looks stupid, tons of stupid nerd knowledge about ties make you want to twist your head off like a jar lid
- all look the same, unless you're really into them like model-train-enthusiast-level into them, and anyway looking the same is the point
- not comfortable
- not appropriate outside except in fine, dry weather, but not too warm for the multiple layers/bad fabrics
- at best they might give you the benefit of the doubt and say this guy could just be a bank teller or something
- but he's probably an rear end in a top hat, how many bank tellers are there in the world
- you're trying to fit in with the destroyers of humankind and the perpetuators of human misery
- don't wear them

I hope you enjoy your diaper

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I hope you enjoy your diaper

the truth hurts for some

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

'spin donut on dick all day, waste time'?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Moo the cow posted:

'spin donut on dick all day, waste time'?

I don't recall putting commas

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I don't recall putting commas

I assumed a punctuation mark ran over your dog or something, hence your refusal to use any of them.

Same question, without the comma as I agreed with all your other points.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Moo the cow posted:

I assumed a punctuation mark ran over your dog or something, hence your refusal to use any of them.

Same question, without the comma as I agreed with all your other points.

a-ha but I used a hyphen formatted list! what is that if not punctuation! glad to hear I have allies in my crusade to discredit suits.

to answer your question the best I can do is this:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Also, fragile: they're the equivalent of pale skin on a duchess, the lack of bramble rips, engine oil stains and wear scuffs is an indicator that you haven't done any actual work.

Suits still aren't as bad as clean or fake-worn denim, AKA stealing valour. Denim is even less comfortable, somehow.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Xaintrailles posted:

Also, fragile: they're the equivalent of pale skin on a duchess, the lack of bramble rips, engine oil stains and wear scuffs is an indicator that you haven't done any actual work.

Suits still aren't as bad as clean or fake-worn denim, AKA stealing valour. Denim is even less comfortable, somehow.

YES how could i forget that. With the shoes that go with one, a suit also says you don't even walk any significant distance in your job.

And denim, yes! It's not even hard to get some visible wear in it. Stealing "wearing clothes for a few months without buying a bunch of new poo poo to replace it" valor! Also for something so heavy, denim really doesn't keep you warm for the weight

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I am so into the recent trend of male celebrities wearing nonstandard suits and tuxes. Men really get the short end of the stick when it comes to fashion. They deserve all the colors and fabrics and shapes and embellishment that woman get.

I'm particularly into the Nudie suit revival as led by Orville Peck and Lil Nas X (and Post Malone apparently?). One day I'll make myself a Nudie jacket.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I had the disconcerting experience of watching a couple teenage girls at the thrift store squeal with delight over their "vintage finds" that were the sort of thing I would have worn in middle/high school (I'm 34 and graduated in 2005). They were particularly pleased with a faded denim skirt for some reason.

Target has a whole section that's basically 90s clothes.

When I was in highschool in the 90s we were real big into 60s clothes so this was inevitable.

although it is weird to think that kids think of the 90s how I thought of the 60s, as this far off fake cartoon time with interesting clothes to mine.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

gently caress suits

- not comfortable
- don't wear them

yes but you can grab a man by his tie and kiss him so really it is impossible to say

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

suits
-look good
-is good
-is comfortable
-the perfect clothing
-bonus: you can wear a tie with it

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i'll just wear all black and white shoes to the end of time

got an orange fanny pack though, those are "trending" right?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

JNCOs and anyone / anything associated with them.

I have taught 7th/8th grade since 1991. I have seen a lot of stupid clothing/makeup/hair styles come and go. This was, by far, the dumbest. Second place goes to the KrissKross-wear-your-clothes-backwards thing. But, luckily that only lasted about a month.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

While we're talking about ugly fashion that is back in fashion, here are some things that are currently common with young woman where I live

Grandma pants, that could have been raided from my late grandmother's closet

Cordaroy flared pants.

Buffalloo boots. These especially went down in my memory as the dumbest thing that happened in my youth. There were also known as ankle breakers since girls would fall over with them all the time, shattering their ankles.

In general everything that was popular when I was a teen is coming back, and it boggles my mind.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Doctor Dogballs posted:

suits
-look good
-is good
-is comfortable
-the perfect clothing
-bonus: you can wear a tie with it

Lol, here comes the big suit lobbyist, with all their fancy big suit lobbying lies!

Burn the suits and salt there ashes so no more shall ever grow!!!! :yayclod:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Son of Rodney posted:

While we're talking about ugly fashion that is back in fashion, here are some things that are currently common with young woman where I live

Grandma pants, that could have been raided from my late grandmother's closet

Cordaroy flared pants.

Buffalloo boots. These especially went down in my memory as the dumbest thing that happened in my youth. There were also known as ankle breakers since girls would fall over with them all the time, shattering their ankles.

In general everything that was popular when I was a teen is coming back, and it boggles my mind.

Grandma stuff has been in vogue with young women for over a year now. Big clear plastic glass frames, frumpy ruffled shirts, big jackets and blazers. It's dumb as gently caress and just another ploy to get women to buy more cheaply made, environment destroying fast fashion. Designers and retailers have long ago run out of any good ideas and are just making whatever poo poo they can think of for the new season so we will buy buy buy!

I hate shopping for clothes because of this and lots of other women do as well. All fashion is designed for one body type - waif thin, small breastfed, small butted, and tall. I am big boobed, big butted, and short legged. More than half the shirts available simply do not fit over my boobs, even the XLs, and when they do fit my boobs they are so loose elsewhere it's like wearing a potato sack. Pants are always way too long and same issue with my butt. Shopping for clothes as a woman is a constant reminder that if you aren't "perfect" in the eyes of the designers and retailers, you do not deserve clothes that fit. I mostly wear stretchy dresses and long shirts over leggings or athletic clothes because that's the only things I can find that fit comfortably. Admittedly it's gotten a little better with larger (lol) retailers like H&M and Primark, but a most of the general templates simply do not flatter anyone but stick thin models.

This is why I advocate for utilitarian jumpsuits for everyone. I'm so weary of this bullshit.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

While I cannot begin to relate to the body-image stuff that many women are subject to; the bad quality fast fashion trend has hit men's clothing as well. I used to have some really specific brand loyalties, and was willing to pay a bit more for something I would only have to buy once (or at least only every few years). It used to be a simple fact that men's clothes were made well. That's changed big time and I'm worried that as once serious workwear/sport brands like Carhartt, Dickies, Russel, and Champion get annexed into the "street fashion" sphere, their quality will drop as well.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Enfys posted:

All that effort to get dressed and then at some point you're going to need to go to the bathroom
Women in western culture rarely wore actual closed underwear until like the 1890s so it wasn't difficult. (The point of wearing open-crotched underwear was to have individual legs covering your legs, for the sake of modesty.) Men, on the other hand, often had their doublets and breeches tied together so they had to get into and out of them like a jumpsuit. When Giles Corin did the Elizabethan episode of Super Sizers, he complained that in order to have a "full sit-down lavatory adventure" he had to take off his entire outfit, including the boots. Then he got sort of crazy and weird about Israel- not in the show, but later.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I am so into the recent trend of male celebrities wearing nonstandard suits and tuxes. Men really get the short end of the stick when it comes to fashion. They deserve all the colors and fabrics and shapes and embellishment that woman get.
They really do. Zack Pinsent, Theodorus Johannes (this is the episode where he made a Staphorst-style print and then made an outfit from it), Matthew Chalmers, and of course Dandy Wellington are inspiring. They're going to show us the way to the future (along with a lot of other guys, but those are the ones I can think of right now).

Men should also be able to wear dresses. It's like putting on a shirt and then going outside without putting on pants, except everyone is fine with it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Might just as well invest in a snuggie then, or a leopard-print onesie.

My dude,. I am so far ahead of you with my around the house wear

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
How the gently caress is a suit hard to put on it's literally pants and a jacket

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

JK Fresco posted:

How the gently caress is a suit hard to put on it's literally pants and a jacket

i expected some hurt from my truth bomb and i apologize. but if you think a suit is regular pants and a jacket you aren't in a position to defend suits because you wear approximately half of one, effort-wise

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i expected some hurt from my truth bomb and i apologize. but if you think a suit is regular pants and a jacket you aren't in a position to defend suits because you wear approximately half of one, effort-wise

lmao get hosed

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I've literally never worn a suit or tie in my life.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I like wearing suits, I dislike any occasion, event, or vocation where I'm expected to wear suits.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I like wearing suits, I dislike any occasion, event, or vocation where I'm expected to wear suits.

Yeah but I don't think anyone likes funerals.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The_Continental posted:

While I cannot begin to relate to the body-image stuff that many women are subject to; the bad quality fast fashion trend has hit men's clothing as well. I used to have some really specific brand loyalties, and was willing to pay a bit more for something I would only have to buy once (or at least only every few years). It used to be a simple fact that men's clothes were made well. That's changed big time and I'm worried that as once serious workwear/sport brands like Carhartt, Dickies, Russel, and Champion get annexed into the "street fashion" sphere, their quality will drop as well.
Maybe you can help me, do you know how to buy thick denim jeans that aren't weird loving expensive raw denim bullshit?

Used to be you'd go to the department store and get a pair of jeans that last a decade and now they are like blue dyed cotton hospital gowns sewn into jean form.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Duluth Trading makes durable jeans for cheap.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

trickybiscuits posted:

Women in western culture rarely wore actual closed underwear until like the 1890s so it wasn't difficult. (The point of wearing open-crotched underwear was to have individual legs covering your legs, for the sake of modesty.) Men, on the other hand, often had their doublets and breeches tied together so they had to get into and out of them like a jumpsuit. When Giles Corin did the Elizabethan episode of Super Sizers, he complained that in order to have a "full sit-down lavatory adventure" he had to take off his entire outfit, including the boots. Then he got sort of crazy and weird about Israel- not in the show, but later.

They really do. Zack Pinsent, Theodorus Johannes (this is the episode where he made a Staphorst-style print and then made an outfit from it), Matthew Chalmers, and of course Dandy Wellington are inspiring. They're going to show us the way to the future (along with a lot of other guys, but those are the ones I can think of right now).

Men should also be able to wear dresses. It's like putting on a shirt and then going outside without putting on pants, except everyone is fine with it.

This is really cool info (about old fashion and suits).

Loving googling examples you mentioned. I always think of suits as boring as gently caress but these are awesome. Dandy Wellington owns, though I'd imagine a lot of guys couldn't quite pull these off as well as he can.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Did she steal that from David Byrne?

Boxy suits: Look at the guys on the left. It's like they have suits made of cardboard that are attached to them with tabs and clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Snackula posted:

I've literally never worn a suit or tie in my life.

Tell us all about your jorts and anime t-shirts :smaug: