Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Problem description: Earlier this year, my PC suddenly shut off while I was using it. It would not start again. When I pressed the power button, I would hear a single click. No power on, no POST. The PSU fan starts to spin but stops after about 1 second.

Attempted fixes: My first thought was a dead PSU. I bought a new PSU and it still had the same problem. I jumpered both PSUs and both fans spun normally. At this point I figured it was a dead MB, so I just put the whole thing in a closet because I needed a system immediately so I just put together a new MB/CPU/RAM combo and moved my drives and GPU to the new computer. Fast foward to this week, and I bought a replacement motherboard (same model). Same problem. Guess it's not the motherboard. It has to be either the CPU or RAM. I am stupid because now I have two of the same motherboard (apparently both functional) and two power supplies (apparently both functional). Whether it is the CPU or RAM, I'm basically 2 components away from having two identical working PCs (I am dumb).

Recent changes: No changes that I'm aware of that would have caused the initial death.

--

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs: i5-6600k, Asus z170i PRO GAMING, 16GB G-SKILL Ripjaws RAM (3333), CoolerMaster Hyper 212 (I think), Corsair 600W PSU, Also tried a Thermaltake 600W.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepBlue
Jul 7, 2004

SHMEH!!!
Do you have a discrete graphics card? It sounds like your PSU is not happy.

Get a power supply tester:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B008RJ4XQ8/

If you are not getting voltages that you expect, or if the unit will not power on with the tester then you know that the PSU is bad.

If you are getting voltages that you expect, I would boot with enough hardware to get it to run and test to see if its something like RAM, HDD, or GPU

Let us know how that goes!

Edit: reading into your post more, you may want to check to see if you are getting enough voltage from the wall socket:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00VV2R2HU/

DeepBlue fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 24, 2020

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Thanks for the response. It’s definitely not the PSU as I had the same response from a brand new PSU which is now chugging along happily in my new system. Same for the wall outlet.

I was using a GPU in the original build that died, I’ve since moved the GPU to the new PC and am trying to fix the old one while using on onboard graphics.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It was the CPU. Bought a cheap used one similar to the old one (i5-6600 instead of 6600k) and it booted right up.