Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought a NOS 2013(?) SYM Symba in 2015 because I've been obsessed with Honda Cubs forever and it was $1250. Which... not bad for a 101.4cc Honda Cub clone.

However, I was trying to do it all in 2015 and burned out pretty hard between work, my 94 NA Miata with a VVT swap, a 93 SC300 Chumpcar, roommates, etc etc. I rarely used it and it only has 200 miles on the odometer. I have only put gas into this thing and it's been a garage ornament since it would stop reliably starting up... a few years ago at this point. It would also chug on partial throttle and give up the ghost a bit. It's me: the terrible PO.

I've had a bit of wave of motivation lately, and I'm going to seize on it and try to get this thing back on the road and do baby's first motorcycle maintenance. So I'm gonna use this thread as a way to kind of keep myself honest and make progress even if it's dumb and/or not noteworthy.

So far I have ordered the following online:
- PZ20 knock-off 20mm carburetor ($12.50)
- K&N RC-0790 air filter ($29)
- Glixal pilot jets ($7)
- Glixal main jets ($7)
- 4x NGK C6HSA ($22)
- AGM 12N5-3B battery ($66)

Subtotal: $143.50 (plus taxes)

The plan is to scrub it down and get rid of all of the spiders, do some much needed maintenance, swap out the stock carb which had it's adjustment screws filed down for emissions compliance, get some new 2.50-17 tires on it, put a tag and insurance on it, and then putt around the neighborhood for a little bit. Even if I wind up selling it, it'll still be good practice for figuring out how to wrench on a bike.

This clear line probably needs to be replaced...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hmm.. good call. There's no more stock in the US, but there's a fuel filter for the SYM Wolf that looks to be the right size/shape, but the port location is different.

Symba:

Wolf:

$30 + shipping, and it's en route.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Got some parts in today, including the battery.

I drained the fuel tank via a hand pump and put in some fresh 93. Also installed the new battery and confirmed that the horn and starter still work. I backed out the drain screw on the carburetor and got a fresh stain for the driveway, then tried to crank it over again a few times with no success. The pilot is most likely gummed up to hell and back.

It's going to be raining the next few days, so I'll probably wash it and start taking it apart over the weekend. Give it a wash, change the oil, pull off the plastics to get to the carburetor. :toot:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I lied! It only rained yesterday.

Washed it down today, pulled off the plastics, and grabbed a copy of the service manual.

Before:

After:

After after:

I poked around a bit on the symforums and unfortunately there's missing pictures and stuff, and revisited the 20mm carb post to try to piece together what he was doing. I'm in no big rush to rip off all (or any) of the emissions stuff because it's pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things, but I was having trouble thinking of what to do with the PCV hook up into the air intake if I go with a pod filter. The charcoal canister line from the air intake will get plugged at the canister because it seems reasonable... but that PCV...

What I'm thinking about doing is grabbing a silicone 1.375" coupler and a bit of aluminium tubing. I'll try to find someone local to weld a bung onto the aluminum tube so the PCV can still be hooked up, as well as a tab to support the pod filter + PCV using the spot where the stock airbox is bolted to the frame.

Fun fact about the intake design: it sucks through the frame. There are two snorkels which plug into the frame which sucks from where the battery is at lol:

Gonna pull off the carb next and clean it, and see if I can get it to run.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 1, 2020

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Grabbed some carb cleaner and pulled off the airbox and carb today.

Took way too long to try to get the airbox off, it was a bit sticky on the carb inlet

Where the snorkels attach

I'm ready

This looks promising

Let's go

Needle seat mostly OK

Look at this poo poo

Auto choke(?)

Tasty

This is good, right?

Yum

Let's get you out of there...

Before

After

I only hit it with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush, but I'll hit it again tomrorow with a brass brush and clean out the bowl and the rest of the carb. The slow jet seems to be clogged, though. I also need to bust out the heatgun and see if I can get the air screw out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh whatever, I don't want to mess with the epoxy. Picked up some oil ($23) and a tool ($244) today...

And with that I was able to blow out the jets and all of the bits and pieces of the the carb after I got rid of all of the varnish

Passages look good

Almost there

Almost almost there

Replaced the spark plug and did the first oil change on this thing (lol it was built in 2010), also Nagoya??? I know that place!

Spoilers in the title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfI0g5ZX-Ps

Also, I had my phone rotated the correct way, so idk why it's showing up the wrong way; I'll bust out the Macbook and rotate it later tonight. It was idling kind of rough initially, but after warming up it idled stronger. There's still a bit of a deadzone for the first bit of throttle, but I'll keep an eye on it. Ran it up and down the road in front of the house and it pulls strong, I didn't want to go wide open throttle and see how fast it would go with 10 year old tires with me in my safety flip flops, safety squints, and safety army cap.

Next step is to take it to a shop to get new tires and get an inspection.. after putting the plastics back on and swapping out the headlamp bulb, of course. I'll be able to get insurance and get a plate back on it after that, but I have to see how bad the DMV is; I remain hopeful that it's not too bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Thanks, thanks. :)

Swung by the independent shop downtown to get a quote for tubes, tires, mounting, installation, and an inspection. Looking like it's gonna be $250ish out the door for everything. A small issue is that nobody makes 2.50-17 tires that are DOT rated outside of the Shinko 244 knobby tires, so please don't tell anyone that I'm getting Michelin City Pros. :ohdear:

Insurance was $74 for a year, and after I get the inspection done, I'll be able to put a plate on it and be fully legal.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dropped it off this morning at a local shop to replace the 11 year old tires that came on the bike + state inspection.

New shoes.

No pics, but I think in transit I lost the bolt that holds the horn onto a bracket that is attached to the intake on the engine (idk, I didn't design this thing), managed to sneak into Ace before they closed so I could get the horn reattached. Tomorrow I'll swing by the DMV and get a plate on it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The seat is a Cub/Passport seat.

Someone did a one off group buy for the extended luggage rack for the Symba because the stock seat ensures that you’re riding on a piece of metal tubing or your knees are fully tucked in under the leg guard.

I have some high density foam double-sided taped to the bottom of the Honda seat so that it isn’t scraping along the top of the gas tank.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Possibly, but I'm doubtful; a quick eBay search shows nothing.

I'm also 99% sure this is the thread that I saw because it's early 2016: http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=11942.0 . If you have any metal fab skills, I don't think that this would be a super impossible task given that you can use the stock bracket as reference for the geometry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think that’s the hens teeth banana seat that nobody can find that goes with the extended rack that I have.

How are you two liking it so far? How many miles?