Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Problem description: No HDMI signal (DVI works). I built a friend a new computer at my place using the DVI-D port for the monitor (worked fine). When I took it to her place and tried to use the HDMI port no signal was detected. I brought it back to my place and tried it on my TV (my monitor doesn't have HDMI) and I had the same problem. Works fine on DVI still. Strangely, I discovered my computer isn't working on HDMI either. This is a new development as I used to have my monitor and TV going at the same time (both extended and duplicated desktop). Only change for me was a Win 10 Home install after an ugrade a few months ago (hadn't tried HDMI since the install so I didn't know it wasn't working).

Attempted fixes: Checked for latest Windows updates, drivers and BIOS, they are installed. Disabled/enabled Display Adapter in Device Manager. Tried 3 different video cards, cables, tried on monitor and TV - same problem on both computers regardless of configuration.

Recent changes: Her machine is a new build. My machine was upgraded a while ago including going from Win 7 to Win 10. My HDMI port was working fine under Win 7.

--

Operating system: Hers: Win 10 Pro 64-bit, mine: Win 10 Home 64-bit.

System specs:

Hers:
MSI MAG B460M Motar Wifi
i3-10100
MSI RX 570 Armor 8GB OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)
Corsair CX550 (2017) PSU
WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD 1TB
Acer ET322QR monitor

Mine:
Asrock B365M Phantom Gaming 4
i3-9100F
Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 4G 4GB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4)
Corsair CX450 (2017) PSU
Crucial MX300 750GB SSD
HP LE2202x monitor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cnut
May 3, 2016

Holy gently caress.

Read somewhere to try to unplug my TV from the wall and plug it back in. It worked. WTF lol

e: Just to wrap up, my friend's computer is working fine now. I gave her a DVI to HDMI adapter but she didn't use it. She plugged it in as is and it worked this time so I don't know what happened the first time. Troubleshooting her computer just exposed a problem with my TV, these were separate, unrelated problems.

cnut fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 26, 2020