Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I need something to distract me from politics, so I pledge to watch 62 horror movies. Hopefully two movies a day will be enough to distract me those clowns up in Washington

Additionally, I will watch all those movies in production order! Although I reserve the right to violate that rule for Fran Challenges, if necessary.

Here is my stack

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#1 1931 Dracula

I had never seen Dracula before, but I had seen this ten minute long analysis of the cardboard in Dracula. So I might be the only person in history to be eagerly awaiting seeing the cardboard as they watched Dracula. And it did not disappoint. That cardboard is very obvious.

As to the rest of the movie, it's good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#2 1931 Dracula

They made two Draculas! They filmed Dracula during the day, and at night they filmed Dracula again, but in Spanish. So which one is better?

English Dracula has two big advantages. The first is obvious; Bela Lugosi. You can't beat Bela Lugosi at a Dracula off. But it's not a huge difference, Carlos Villarías does a good job. The real advantage the English version has is Renfield. English Renfield has a lot of depth, he's a tortured soul and it comes across really strongly in the performance. I found him to be a much more unnerving character than Dracula. But Spanish Renfield is just nuts. Big points to English Dracula for Renfield.

But beyond that, Spanish Dracula is generally better. The visuals are a little more energetic. Like when Renfield meets Dracula, in the English version it's just a big flat shot. But the Spanish version has this great push in from below that really enhances the power of Dracula. Spanish Dracula is also almost a half hour longer, and that helps a lot. Especially with MinaEva, the extra time gives you a much better view of her fall into Dracula's clutches. And most importantly, Spanish Dracula recognized that the flappy bat puppet looked ridiculous, and uses it way less.

So I gotta give Spanish Dracula the edge. But Bela Lugosi and a fantastic Renfield keep English Dracula almost neck and neck with it.

Movies Watched: 1.Dracula 2.Dracula

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#3: 1931 Frankenstein

The way they talk about Frankenstein recently moving into the light house, and how it's delaying the planning of the wedding, it's clear that this obsession is a fairly recent thing for him. And then he gives it up fairly easily, even leaving the monster to his boss to destroy before going off to plan his wedding and never checking in to see how it went. So unlike in the book where creating life is a lifelong obsession that spells his doom, in the movie it's more like a hobby that he gets way too into. Like that episode of Parks and Rec where the guy tries to make a claymation movie.

But the real stand out of the movie is the mob. Holy poo poo what a good mob. It's big enough to split into three separate respectably sized mobs. They've got torches, lanterns, crude wooden club, bloodhounds, it is a fully kitted out mob. You get great shots of the mob setting out, the mob searching, and the mob taking its bloody revenge. A full mob arc. The only thing you could criticize them for is the lack of pitchforks. Is the Frankenstein mob still the greatest movie mob of all time?

3 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

[b]#4: 1932 The Mummy

A charismatic foreigner is after our white women! Again!

There's some good stuff. Karloff is great as Imhotep, Helen is easily the most memorable Universal heroine I've seen so far, and there was one black guy.

But overall, it's just a weaker version of Dracula. It is set in Egypt but clearly filmed extremely far away from Egypt so the setting is wasted. Helen's corruption by Imhotep is way less interesting than Mina/Eva's corruption by Dracula. There's no Renfield, and while Van Helsing is in there he gets less focus.

The funny thing is that not only is Imhotep not a mummy, the movie makes it clear that mummies have no power or value outside of containing a soul. All of Imhotep's power comes from the fact that he's a wizard. So really mummies shouldn't be a stock movie monster; wizards should.

4 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#5: 1933 King Kong

This is where my scheme to watch all the movies in order has really paid off. Watching Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Mummy put me in the right headspace to understand how much King Kong must've blown people's tiny minds. Imagine, you're some dummy in the year 1933, you expect 50% of the runtime of a "monster movie" to be three well dressed men in a drawing room discussing whether or not the monster is real. And then you see King Kong.

The first 25, 30 minutes are pretty standard. A man needs a woman to make a movie. Just one pretty girl, and a boatful of tough dudes. He finds a cute homeless girl and says he'll make her a star if she comes with him to a second location without telling anyone. She's wary, but then finds out that he's a bigshot in Hollywood, so clearly his offer to make her a star is legit and he has no ill intentions towards her. Then they're on a boat where she meets man who tells her every time he sees her that he hates women, women only cause problems, she shouldn't be here, she'll ruin everything. He is the love interest. Also there's a Chinese man with a humorously poor grasp of English.

Then we meet the natives. And goddamn, this movie has easily the second most racist depiction of "natives" I've ever seen in a movie called King Kong.

And then we meet Kong. And it is loving on. From the moment King Kong appears on screen, this movie goes into hyperdrive. There's a giant monkey, and then a dinosaur, and then a thrilling sequence of men falling to their deaths, and then another dinosaur, and then a t-rex fights Kong, and people are throwing bombs, and then Kong fucks up a village, and he steps on a guy, and then he eats a guy, and then he steps on another guy. It's just nonstop action. It slows down a bit after they bomb Kong to sleep, but then he gets loose and now he's running around New York! There's a giant monkey pulling ladies out of windows and derailing a subway and then he climbs the Empire State Building and gets attacked by planes!

They released this in 1933, a time when a scary moment from a monster movie was Bela Lugosi mumbling under his breath in a museum.

I swear to god as I was watching King Kong I kept thinking, this is the 1930s equivalent of Crank.

5 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#6: 1933 Son of Kong

As a sequel to King Kong, it's pretty bad.

As a movie that somehow was made and released eight months after King Kong, it's way better than it has any right to be.

Just by itself, it's OK.

First off, there's way less monkey action. King Kong shows up less than half an hour into the 100 minute long King Kong and from then on it's almost non-stop action. Son of Kong shows up more than 40 minutes into the 29 minute long Son of Kong, and there are many stops to the action. But although there is much less quantity, the quality is still there. The miniatures look good, the stop motion looks good, and honestly the stop motion miniatures and real humans are matted together way better than in King Kong. There's a great sea monster and a fantastic island collapsing into the sea sequence. Son of Kong has quality monster and miniature action.

Story wise, it's mostly a boat and island adventure. Denim has been humbled, he's being sued by a million people, he's flat broke, but he gets a very obviously fake story about there still being some treasure on Skull Island so back he goes. The weird thing is that it's kind of cast as Denim's redemption? He's been humbled, he saves and then is saved by the son of the monkey he killed, etc. But at the end he steals a diamond necklace from a temple and the second they get it out the door the loving island collapses into the sea. He has killed every single native not killed by Kong's rampage, he has killed Son of Kong, he has literally wiped the island off the face of the earth. But it's not really presented like that at all. Son of Kong's last gesture is to hold Denim above the waves, so Denim is forgiven for killing King Kong, so it's fine.

There is an honest to god communist revolution in this movie. It's the same boat and same crew from the first movie, so halfway through they mutiny about going back to the island where half the crew was killed by a giant ape and dinosaurs less than a year ago. As they're sending Denim and the captain away in a rowboat they literally say "Row, you bourgeoi!" And then the leader of the mutiny tries to become the new captain, and the sailors literally say they don't need captains anymore, throw him overboard, and say "that's where all captains belong!"

After how thoroughly problematic King Kong was, I was not expecting Son of Kong to show anywhere near that level of ideological correctness.

6 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#7: 1935 Bride of Frankenstein

this was really great. There's an infusion of humor that works really well. You got the the sassy old lady and the snarky hunchbacked murderer, but also Dr. Pretorius and his homunculuses. Tying the humor into the science like that gives it a slightly delirious feeling, it's all slightly heightened from the first movie, we really are entering a world of gods and monsters.

Dr. Pretorius is a fantastic mad scientist. I also really liked Frankenstein's little arc. He regrets what he did and knows it's wrong, but once he's pulled back in he can't help but be exhilarated by the power of creation

Having the monster learn enough to realize that it should exist and destroy itself is a much better conclusion than it getting destroyed by ignorant villagers. It's kind of like Beneath The Planet of the Apes; it completes the first movie.

Great movie, would recommend.

7 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

8: 1935 Werewolf of London

Boring.

It's not terrible. There's a fantastic frog eating plan puppet in one scene for no reason. There's the first non super racist depiction of a PoC character I've seen so far, although he's portrayed by a white actor so that's a wash. And lots of sassy old lady comedy, even more than Bride of Frankenstein. Nobody told me 1935 was the start of the old lady comedy era of golden age horror.

But overall, boring.

8 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm still searching around but this might be the challenge I can't do because any of the films that meet the criteria, I've already seen.

You've even watched all the Nigerian horror movies on Youtube?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#9: 1936 Dracula's Daughter

It starts strong. Like Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula's Daughter picks up right where the previous one ended and adds a dollop of humor. The idea of Van Helsing being arrested for killing Dracula is great, and the title promises a sexy lady vampire. I am fully on board.

Unfortunately it turns out not great. Van Helsings story is sidelined and he never even goes to trial, the sexy lady vampire is pretty unimpressive, and the male lead is a total flatline. Really the titular sexy lady vampire is the problem. Unlike Dracula, Dracula's Daughter doesn't enjoy being a vampire. She takes no joy in being evil. So all of her vampire scenes are dull. She never really has the upper hand on the guy, she gets pushed around by her assistant, she just doesn't have much presence or menace or anything.

Overall boring and forgettable.

9 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

I have the total opposite opinion of Dracula's Daughter , mainly because its one of the earliest example of queer horror.

Is there anything to that outside of that one scene where she gets the girl to undress?

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Ditto. Whenever the Countess is on-screen my heart lights up. There's a lot to be said for the sad, mournful, romanticly tortured vampire archetype, especially when they're queer-coded.

My problem is that the movie goes out of it's way to make her not seem powerful. Outside of hypnotizing that one cop she's almost always less powerful than the men in the scene. Even though she's a century old vampire with magic powers.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 2, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#10: 1939 Son of Frankenstein

The sets of Castle Frankenstein are weird. The walls are all at strange angles, the entry way is dominated by a massively oversized but very crudely made wooden staircase, the dining room is dominated by two massive boar-headed hearths that arc away from the wall and loom over the diners. It seems like the intended effect is a kind of theatricality and disorientation that would fit a followup to the slightly delirious Bride of Frankenstein. But Son of Frankenstein isn't theatrical, disorienting, or delirious. Its actually the most staid and normal of the first three Frankensteins. So I'm left wondering what the idea with the weird sets was.

The attention grabbing performance is obviously Bela Lugosi as Igor, and he's great. But I also really liked Basil Rathbone as Wolf Frankenstein. He's not the man his father was and he knows it. When the law starts snooping around he just falls apart, he can't even tell a convincing lie. When the inspector says that Wolf is an eviler man than his father, it's true. Hank Frankenstein committed his unspeakable acts because he wanted to be god! Wolf does it because he wants to clear his father's name and he's intimidated by a hunchback. He's a smaller, pettier Frankenstein.

As for the monster, it's not great. Karloff has a lot less time to express the monster's personality, making it dumb again is a step back, and the fur vest looks like poo poo. And even though there are a lot of references in dialogue to the monster being big, I guess they forgot the big shoes this time. The monster is shorter than Frankenstein.

Overall I'd say its a solid movie, but definitely a step down from Bride. Worth watching, but not amazing.

10 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 3, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Yay I'm out of the 30s! I've made it to the swingin' 40s. I'm one step closer to seeing movies in color again.

#11: 1940 The Mummy's Hand

Finally, a mummy. A proper movie monster mummy. Covered in bandages, lumbering around, dusty. A mummy. The Mummy series is like Friday the 13th; the monster associated with it doesn't actually show up until the second one.

The entire first half of the movie is about the two guys trying to get financing for an expedition. One of them is from Brooklyn and he's always cracking wise, as they do.

Eventually they find the mummy, who is in thrall of an evil Egyptian priest. He lumbers around, kills a couple extremely minor characters, carries a lady around, and eventually gets set on fire. I'm pretty sure this is the first movie I've seen in this challenge featuring the classic "monster carrying the lady" pose, so that's nice.

It's basically a slasher movie. All the characters get set up, they go someplace secluded, and then a bad guy shows up to wreak havoc

Overall, it's fine. I didn't hate it. Nothing is particularly great. It passed the time.

11 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

:spooky: Fran Challenge #1: Horror Noire :spooky:

#12: 1940 Son of Ingagi

My first horror movie of the challenge set entirely in America!

Son of Ingagi was the first horror movie to have an all black cast. And even today, that stands out. Off the top of my head I can't recall another movie I've seen where literally every face that appears on screen is black.

The plot is novel too. A scientist dies a mysterious violent death, and there's an investigation into her murder and a dispute over her estate. But what few know is, her estate includes a killer monkey man!

The performances are all good. The characters aren't complex but the acting gives them some life. The scientist lady stands out, she's really good. An old lady who missed her chance at love and now in her twilight years just wants someone to care about her and also is inventing a potion to give people super strength or something, for the good of humanity.

Son of Ingagi does have its weaknesses. The makeup on the monkey man looks like poo poo. The action scenes are pretty lackluster. The sets look more like sitcom sets than movie sets. At just over an hour long it moves along at a pretty good clip, but it doesn't really build up much energy.

Son of Ingagi isn't amazing, but it's entertaining. It's on the Youtube, check it out.

12 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1

:spooky:1FC1 Horror Noire

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darthemed posted:

I'm not familiar with the original Slender Man stories at all

There are no original Slender Man stories. The character started as just spooky images of a tall guy in a suit with tentacle arms photoshopped into the background of pictures, posted on Somethingawful.com. All the "lore" was added much later by various people who thought the spooky photoshops should have a backstory.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#13: 1941 The Wolf Man

I liked this a lot. It feels way more modern than the previous Universal movies I've seen. Larry Talbot is from an aristocratic family sure, but in terms of demeanor and capabilities, he's just some schmuck. A lovable American oaf in way over his head. And the town dynamics are like a transitional state, halfway between mob of villagers and town full of gossips.

The famously good makeup looks good. Although that really highlights the lovely werewolf mark. A simple five pointed star drawn on with an eyebrow pencil. Come on, guys.

It was also nice to be surprised by one of these movies. I've gotten so much information about these movies through cultural osmosis, and they all tend towards a happy Hollywood ending. But I was genuinely not expecting The Wolf Man to end how it did.

The Wolf Man, good movie. Would recommend.

13 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#14: 1942 The Corpse Vanishes

Beautiful young brides falling dead on their wedding day and then their bodies are going missing! A sassy lady reporter is one the case!

Not much to write home about.

The answer to the mystery is revealed very quickly, presumably to get Bela Lugosi being villainous on screen ASAP. Which is a shame, the movie would've been a lot stronger if we discovered the facts along with the sassy lady reporter.

The performances aren't great, even Lugosi phones it in. And honestly, fair enough, the script isn't too hot.

One point in the movie's favor; I think this is actually the first movie I've watched so far that passes the Bechdel Test. There's a couple scenes where the sassy lady reporter talks a cigarette girl into pretending to be a bride. Feminism achieved!

Give The Corpse Vanishes a miss. Even hardcore Lugosi fans aren't going to get much out of this dud.

14 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#15: 1942 The Ghost of Frankenstein

They thought they had destroyed the monster once and for all by dropping it into boiling sulphur. But it turns out the monster likes sulphur. It's really no problem for him at all.

I dunno, I think they're kinda losing me with the Frankenstein movies now. A reboot or a new monster would've been better, especially since there's a new actor. Lon Chaney was great as The Wolf Man, but he's not really bringing it as Frankenstein. It doesn't help that the makeup doesn't look great on him. It was originally deigned around Boris Karloff's skull, and it just doesn't have the same effect on Chaney's skull. It looks like a guy dressed as the monster, not the monster.

And the new Frankensetin isn't hot shakes either. He's fine but he's just a scientist. He's not a mad scientist at all!

Also, how can blood type be an important part of organ compatibility when A: the monster was made before people knew about blood types so presumably the parts are from all different types, and B: Son of Frankenstein established that the monster had freaky monstrous blood where the cells fought each other?

But the worst part is that at one point they mention the mayor. What the gently caress? I don't want a Frankenstein movie set in a town with a mayor! I want the Burger Master! The past three movies have all been set in a town ruled by a benevolent Burger Master, it's an important part of the story. Changing from Burger Masters to Mayors is the death of this franchise.

15 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#16: 1942 The Mummy's Tomb

Barely over an hour, and the first twelve minutes are spent recapping the events of the previous movie in truly unnecessary detail.

In The Mummy's Hand, I got the impression that they were keeping Karis undead as like a punishment. He wasn't supposed to be an enforcer for the cult, the actual living human cult members deal with that stuff. Using Karis as muscle was an act of convenience, and as poetic justice against the people who disturbed his tomb. So all the jokes about how lovely a monster a mummy is didn't really apply. But now they're sending Karis half way across the world for revenge, and I gotta be honest, he's not an impressive monster.

Karis can only use one arm, he shuffles very slowly, I don't think he can go up stairs. He's not clever or scheming or sneaky or charming. His only move is the surprise strangle. And he's in America now, I'd worry he'd be hit by a car while trying to cross a road. It's a slasher movie with the worst slasher in the world.

The humans are all as deep as cardboard, and not very compelling. This really is The Karis Show.

There's some good mob footage near the end, but overall I was not impressed by The Mummy's Tomb.

16 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#17: 1943 Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man

I'm gonna rate this in three ways.

1: As a Frankenstein movie
After two recasts, an intelligence reset, a brain swap, and now a brain swap retcon, I just don't care about this monster anymore. The mad scientist is a friend of the daughter of the brother of the son of the Frankenstein who created the monster. This series has gone out of control. It needs a reboot.

2: As a Wolf Man movie
This is a good sequel to The Wolf Man. Talbot has discovered he is immortal and is now in complete despair. His desire for death leads him to make a deal with a mad scientist, unleashing a whole different horror! It's great. Although it kinda fucks up by having the monster walking around before the life power transference. It would've been better if they kept the monster dead until the end. But of course they couldn't do that, because the movie is called

3: As a Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man movie
Pathetic. There's only scene with the two of them together, it's short, not motivated by the characters' motivations, and completely overshadowed by a great miniature castle collapse.

If I had to review it as one movie, it's a mixed bag. Got it's ups and downs, not terrible. But Freddy vs Jason is much better.

17 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#18: 1943 Son of Dracula

I liked this one a lot. The southern plantation is a proper gothic, vampiric setting for a vampire story. The Dracula's desire for blood from the virile American race is a reflection of the lady's desire only to live on the plantation, served by black servants for the rest of her life.

The plot is good. It's got schemes, treachery, infidelity, men being driven mad by sexy vampire ladies, all the good stuff.

There's no reason for this to be a specifically Dracula story. Any other vampire would've worked just as well. If no better, since this isn't the Dracula, it's a Dracula. So spending so much time establishing that it's specifically a Dracula-brand vampire is a waste when all that matters is is that it's a vampire.

I wasn't thrilled with Lon Chaney as a Dracula. He's got way too much dopey American oaf energy to pull off Dracula, imo.

Overall, a solid vampire flick.

18 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#19: 1944 The Mummy's Ghost

The Mummy's Ghost at least has the decency to not reuse ten full minutes of footage from the previous movie. But in the dialogue it if anything spends more time talking about the events of the previous film

Now, I do really like the mummy in a small town aspect. If there's simple American townspeople setting up a neighborhood watch to look for a mummy, I'm on board. Unfortunately The Mummy's Ghost spends at least as much time bogged down in the incredibly simple boring and repetitive mummy lore. Have you guys heard of tanna leaves? Well buckle the gently caress up because you're gonna hear more about tanna leaves than you ever wanted. There's only one thing about tanna leaves, you boil them, it keeps a mummy alive. But you are going to hear that over and over and over again.

Overall, it's alright. You got a mob led by an angry terrier chasing a mummy into the hills, so I can't hate it. Plus it's an hour long. My time isn't that valuable, I can spend an hour of it on The Mummy's Ghost.

19 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#20: 1944 The House of Frankenstein

The Burger Master returns! That was the misstep they made with Ghost of Frankenstein, it was set in a different town with a far inferior mayor. But now we're back in the town of Frankenstein, and the Burger Master is back.

This is basically just a sequel to House of Frankenstein. Really, it's just House of Frankenstein again. Larry Talbot wants to not be a Wolf Man, so he makes a deal with a mad scientist who actually just wants to use Frankenstein's notes to do some mad science.

As you see on the poster, Dracula is here. Now Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man had informed my expectations. I knew not to expect a knockdown dragout threeway monster battle. But Dracula is killed way before either the Wolf Man or the Monster shows up, and he's killed by getting pushed out of a wagon into the sunlight. You could cut all of Dracula's appearances in the movie and not notice a thing.

The monster has been recast again, is only active at the very end, and never even sees the Wolf Man!

I want to be very clear about this, Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, and the Wolf Man are all in this movie, and they never interact.

A pretty weak entry in the series.

20 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hedrigall posted:

I've never seen any of the sequels and I kinda want to, to see how dumb they are. One involves time travel apparently?

Scariest moment: The footprints in the powder, maybe? I dunno, there wasn’t much in the way of scary. I’ve seen it before so a lot of the tension was sapped from it because I knew what was coming.

More than one of them involve time travel. The sequels are much heavier on continuity than you would expect

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#21: 1944 The Mummy's Curse

Swamp mummy!

Once again, the mummy in a setting you would not expect a mummy premise would be enough to carry the movie all by itself. But once again, they insist on bringing in all this dumb Karis lore. Karis isn't a character! The issue isn't that Karis is in the swamp, it's that there's a mummy in the swamp! The tanna leaves don't matter, the backstory doesn't matter, I just want to see yokels hunting a mummy. And at this point the chain of High Priests or Arkhan using Karis to try to do something, failing, telling the story to their successor, who then tries to use Karis to do something, fails, and so on and so forth. is getting simply absurd.

21 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#22: 1945 The House of Dracula

ONCE AGAIN, Larry Talbot seeks a cure for his werewolfism from a mad scientist who turns out to want to bring back Frankenstein's monster.

ONCE AGAIN, the Wolf Man, Dracula, and Monster never interact.

Now, this is an improvement over House of Frankenstein. Dracula has a much bigger role, and even though, once again, he dies halfway through the movie, his actions have a big effect on the plot all the way to the conclusion of the movie.

But, in order to keep the cosmic scales balanced, now the Monster is the one who has no effect on the plot and could easily be removed from the movie.

Lon Chaney is still great as the sad werewolf guy, John Carradine, now with an actual role in the movie, is good as a Dracula. The mad scientist is alright, the hunchback lady is good. Good to really good acting across the board.

And some decent mob action near the end.

This is a fun enjoyable monster romp, but I can definitely see why it's the end of this cycle of Universal monster movies. They are simply utterly out of ideas.

22 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

I'm counting the A&C movies as a different thing since they are comedies and, afaik, out of continuity with the previous films. But I do have a couple of them coming up on to-watch list.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#23: 1946 She-Wolf of London

This was surprisingly pretty good. A young woman wants to marry a "penniless" artist. He owns his own horse and has full riding gear, but he's poor, Ok, fine, whatever. And her domineering aunt won't allow it. Meanwhile people are turning up dead, mauled as if by some animal, and witnesses report a beastly woman did the deeds. Our heroine is convinced it's her, transforming into a werewoman.

One trick I think The Wolf Man missed was that it makes it quite clear right away that werewolves are real. But then it goes on to make a big deal out of the idea that maybe Talbot is only transforming in his mind. Even though the audience knows he's physically transforming. She-Wolf of London really leans into that ambiguity. It's kept in question for the bulk of the movie whether or not Phyllis is doing the murders at all, let alone physically transforming.

The ending is very predictable but still satisfying.

Solid young woman being driven crazy by stuffy manners and social expectations flick. If that's your bag, don't miss She-Wolf of London.

23 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#24: 1948 Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

A few weeks back I tried to watch the classic comedy It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World. Only to give up half an hour in after being reminded that a lot of classic American comedy is just tubby white guys making funny faces and hating their mothers-in-law. So I wasn't super excited to watch another classic comedy made back when it was still illegal to say the word "anus".

But Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is actually funny. It's not Walk Hard funny, but there's solid gags in here. Importantly, the main source of comedy is Abbott and Costello, not the monsters. The monsters are allowed to be menacing while the short fat guy bumbles around like a buffoon.

And the actual monsters are back! We're still dealing with dumb monster so Karloff doesn't have much to work with, but Lugosi is actually better as Dracula here than he was in Dracula.

And finally, finally, after three monster previous mashups, this one delivers on the monster action. The monsters interact more and fight more in this movie than they do in Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein, and House of Dracula combined.

I really thought this franchise was all dried up, but it turns out all it needed was the addition of a bodily mismatched duo of comedians to wring a little more life out of it.

24 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I still have Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy on the slate, but I'm basically done with Universal now and the movie I have slated for first viewing tomorrow is the start of Phase 2 of my October Horror Challenge. I don't want to give it away, but let's just say the it stars one of the "biggest" names in cinema

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#25: 1954 Godzilla

Goddamn.

Especially after all that Universal monster movies, Godzilla is such a step up in terms of scale, horror, and intensity. It's genuinely amazing.

What's really impressive is how the movie balances scale with emotion. It has lots of stuff with government meetings, military bigwigs, an entire city being destroyed by fire, but it also keeps showing small moments of personal tragedy. A kid seeing his home get destroyed, a group of women waiting to find out if their husbands survived the sinking of their shipping boat, a mom trying to comfort her children in their last moments. So it all blends together to create an image of a nationwide shared trauma. Every building that collapses had people in it, and every one of those people will be mourned.

The horror here is not that you'll be strangled by a mummy, or you'll lose your fiancé to a foreigner, or that you'll killed by your dad. It's that you will lose everything. Your home, your family, your neighborhood, your country. All of it will be swept away by forces that are simply too big for you to resist. And you won't be unique in that, everyone left will have been through the same tragedy. You will be one of millions who have seen everything they hold dear burned to the ground.

In the other Godzilla movies I've seen, Godzilla's breath is like a laser beam. But here it's just radiation. He breathes out a cloud of pure radiation that melts metal and ignites wood and poisons the living.

And when they figure out how to kill Godzilla, it gets worse. The Oxygen Destroyer isn't a secret weapon, it's death. The A-Bomb begot the H-Bomb, the H-Bomb unleashed Godzilla, and to stop Godzilla they must use the Oxygen Destroyer. It's a chain of horror that never should have begun and now will lead only to death.

Godzilla is really good you guys.

25 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

STAC Goat posted:

I like that part where Jason straightforwardly transforms into a child after being killed by toxic sludge or when he becomes a deadite that possesses people or when he was resurrected by lightning.

Jason makes no drat sense.

Be fair, that is obviously a visual metaphor for the toxic waste having wiped away Jason's sins and deformities.

And we all know that the dead can be brought back to life with lightning. Especially when he's already at least a little undead to begin with because of lake magic which can preserve people in stasis until a family member calls out for them on the shore.

Although yeah you've got a point about the demon thing, the best way to deal with Jason Goes To Hell is ignore it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#26: Godzilla, King of the Monsters yes technically this came out in 56 so I should've watched Godzilla Raids Again and Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy to stick to my production order pledge but I wanted to watch it back to back with t the original and I made up the rule so I can do as I like, gently caress you

I asked in the Kaiju thread first if it was reasonable for me to count this as a separate movie for the purpose of the challenge and they said yes, so it's cool.

I knew that they had added footage of Raymond Burr as an American reporter, but I assumed he would mainly be a framing device and narrator. And while he does do a lot of narration, most of it unnecessary, he's way more than that. He's basically the main character. Through movie magic they insert him into the scenes. Reporter Steve Martin not only gets more screen time than any of the Japanese characters, I think he gets more screen time than any of the Japanese characters got in the original version.

In the scenes where he's just observing, which luckily is most of them, that works OK. You just have to assume that their is a Japanese tradition to include a "cheap wall" in every room. You know, to build one wall really quickly and cheaply so it looks like part of a cheap movie set and not part of a building like the rest of the walls. That's where Steve Martin stands.

But the scenes where he actually talks to the Japanese characters, whoo boy. They handle that by having a stand in who kinda looks like the character from behind stand with their back to the camera. It is not seamless.

Aside from the wonkiness of the seams, the fact that the main character, and the audience's viewpoint character, is a foreign reporter puts a lot of distance between the viewer and the events. We are seeing them through an intermediary. And some really great moments don't land as hard because they aren't translated.

The other big change they make is they soften the movie a lot for American audiences. The woman who says "I barely made it out of Nagasaki, now I gotta deal with this?" has been cut. The explanation that Serizawa lost his eye in the war has been cut. Most of Serizawa's dialogue has been cut. And his fear that his scientific discovery will be turned into a weapon has been changed into a fear that his weapon will fall into "the wrong hands".

Basically the whole thing that Godzilla and the Oxygen Destroyer are part of a chain of trauma has been excised from the movie. Along with any references to the specific traumas the Japanese suffered in WW2.

I can understand why people who saw this version first, especially as kids and especially when the original was not available, have a strong attachment to it. There is a lot of great material still in there. But now that the original is if anything more widely available, it doesn't hold much value to the new viewer.

Godzilla, King of the Monsters is now just a historical novelty, and an example of the power of editing.

26 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 7, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#27 1955 Godzilla Raids Again

I was wondering what they were going to do as a follow up to Godzilla, and I feel like so were they. Anguirus feels like filler. He gets killed halfway through and then Godzilla leaves, and ten minutes later I was starting to wonder if the entire second half of this movie really was going to just be about rebuilding a fishing corporation's Osaka branch office. There's also a short subplot about some prisoners escaping, which feels like it exists only so they could have a car chase in the movie.

In Godzilla Raids Again, Godzilla basically becomes the character we know. There are no explicit references to the war, and of course no Oxygen Destroyer, so Godzilla stands alone as a singular problem, as opposed to part of a chain of horror like he was in the first movie. And he can be dealt with in a way that is not more horrifying than Godzilla himself. You can just shoot missiles at him to cause an avalanche that buries him in ice.

There are still some good dashes of that old existential horror in here, mainly through the use of wartime imagery. Osaka has an enforced blackout as planes fly low over head, off to drop flares to steer an oncoming attack away from the city. That whole sequence is really effective.

Godzilla fighting Anguiris is good too, especially the way people react to it. Nobody is cheering on one monster or another, they just want the fight to be over so they'll go away.

Overall I wasn't crazy about Godzilla Raids Again, but I don't know what would've thrilled me after the original. And I think it's a good reset that'll help me enjoy the upcoming Godzillas more instead of comparing them to the original too.

27 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

:spooky: Fran Challenge #2: Short Cuts :spooky:

#28: Five Short Films About Bigfoot

I don't know why, but I've been hankering for some Bigfoot recently. But I don't have any bigfoot movies on my to-watch list, and yesterday morning I checked my local bookshop for a book about Bigfoot and they didn't have any. So this challenge is a great opportunity to scratch my bigfoot itch. I simply searched "Bigfoot short films" on Youtube and watched what they gave me.

Windigo Revolution 13:55
Don't put Josh Whedon style adorkable dialogue in your colonial-era movie. Way too much time is just the guy standing in the woods looking around. The foley work is really bad. Like, I know this is a weird thing to pick on but I can't stress enough how loving horrible the "axe hitting flesh" sounds were. That one sound effect was so bad it genuinely ruined the movie.
Bigfoot costume looked alright. They could've, and should've, shown it way more
C

The Legend of 16 Mile Creek 9:08
Three high schoolers go into the woods to film a fake news story about a fake bigfoot, get attacked by real bigfoot. I have to assume that their parents would drive them out to the woods at night which is why this was filmed during the day. Even though it really should've been filmed at night. The characters announce that they don't have cell reception literally seconds before they're killed by bigfoot. Their phones could've worked just fine, it wouldn't have stopped bigfoot.
Ill-fitting floppy store-bought bigfoot costume
D

The Woodsmen - A Slender Valley Story 20:53
This one had some ambition. There were characters and everything. Across the board bad acting though. Dumb twist at the end, and then a final tacked on scene that was basically "If you give us more money we will make a Stranger Things." But they tried, and after the previous two that wins them some points in my book
The Bigfoot suit was good, but they showed it too much. The expressive face was good but they showed it so mush so clearly that it became impossible to ignore that it was a guy's face with a mask over it.
B

POMOOLA 12:21
If you are an amateur film maker, don't make a historical film. Every one in the past drank and smoked and got kicked in the throat by donkeys from childhood. A modern 23 year old squeaky voiced gamer will not be able to pull off a convincing olde timey voice. That aside, this was dumb and boring and made me angry
Bad bigfoot suit
F

Here I started the next short film, Interview With The Bigfoot, but the first 15 seconds were so loving bad I couldn't go on

HOMINID 20:01
I enjoyed watching this? Or maybe it was just slightly not bad enough to feel like blessed relief after the previous Youtube Bigfoot short films? I don't know anymore. Short films were a mistake. I knew I should've stuck with full length studio productions.
Good Bigfoot suit.
A

Total running time: 76:18

28 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Five Short Films About Bigfoot:spooky:2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#29: Abbott And Costello Meet The Mummy

It's not as good Meet Frankenstein, but it's still good. The obvious issue is that it doesn't have the Lugosi/Karloff/Chaney power trio. And the solid jokes are a bit fewer and farther between. But it still has plenty of good gags.

If you're a fan of Abbott and Costello type comedy, or if you just want a funny movie with a mummy in it, Abbott and Costello Meet The Mummy is a good choice. But it's not required viewing.

29 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Five Short Films About Bigfoot:spooky:2, Abbot and Costello Meet The Mummy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#30: 1958 Horror of Drcaula

My god, it's in color. Finally I have made it to the year 1958, when color movies were invented

And this ain't your father's Dracula. There's vampire fangs smeared with blood! Giant puncture wounds, smeared with blood! A woman in her nightclothes arranging herself on her bed to wait with great anticipation her nightly visit from a man not her fiancé! This is some scandalous poo poo.

It's also a lot more energetic. People are chasing Dracula from the get-go, and Dracula goes to Britain to get revenge on them. There are lots of conversations in drawing rooms, but sometimes they end with people running out of the drawing room! There's a lot more energy and movement in this Dracula.

Christopher Lee is a good vampire, but Peter Cushing is a fantastic vampire hunter.

I'm really happy to have entered this new phase of horror. Don't get me wrong, the Universal movies were great. But now I want to see blood!

29 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Five Short Films About Bigfoot:spooky:2, Abbot and Costello Meet The Mummy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Halfway through! And it's only October 8th gently caress me

#31: 1960 Psycho

This is one of those movies where I was wondering if I had gotten everything worthwhile out of it through cultural osmosis and I didn't really need to watch it.

On the one hand, yeah, it really is built around the surprise. Not just the surprise that Norman Bates is the killer, but that there's a killer in the movie at all. Two things most people are gonna know already going it. But on the other hand, the movie is so gleefully trying to mislead you, it's still a fun romp even if you know where it's going.

Like, even now, in the first scene where Marion meets Norman it really feels like the switch the movie is making isn't towards horror, but romance. Like, ah, this is what the movie's going to be about. A city girl in over her head and a sheltered country boy fall in love and try to evade the law together. You can't be surprised by the movie, but you can enjoy the swerving trip the movie takes you as it tries to surprise you, if that makes any sense.

The acting is fantastic, especially the two leads. I think my favorite moment is when Marion is panicking the gently caress out imagining that the people at her office have already discovered her theft, but then her panic turns to a wicked little smile as she imagines specifically her bosses reaction to finding out she took their money.

And of course Anthony Perkins loving knocks it out of the park. Just amazing.

Even if you know what's coming, Psycho is still a great time. I highly recommend it.

31 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Five Short Films About Bigfoot:spooky:2, Abbot and Costello Meet The Mummy, Horror of Dracula, Psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#32: 1962 King Kong vs Godzilla

After the awkwardness of Godzilla Raids Again, Toho has figured out how to turn Godzilla into a series; drop the existential horror, crank up the monster spectacle. In GRA, the Godzilla vs Anguirus fight was just another way for a city to get hosed up and it was finished halfway through the movie. Here monkey vs t-rex is the main event, and the entire plot is about setting that fight up. There's a first abortive fight halfway through that ends when King Kong realizes he cant beat Godzilla. And then the big throwdown at the end after King Kong has been supercharged with electricity.

You know a movie isn't trying to inspire existential horror when an electric King Kong is being airlifted in under a bunch of weather balloons.

I don't know if King Kong vs Godzilla's depiction of "natives" is more racist than the original King Kong, but it's certainly in the running. They are all played by Japanese people in blackface complete with jheri curl wigs, and they instantly agree to serve as porters when offered cigarettes. But on the other hand, they are never driven to violence by their instinctive desire to possess the first white woman they see. We're gonna need some race experts to weigh in on this.

The other issue is the King Kon suit. It looks pretty bad. The arm extensions are awkward, the mouth is malformed, the chest and hands have a weird lumpy texture, and the eyes are crudely painted on.

But if you can look past those two equally problematic issues, King Kong vs Godzilla is a lot of goofy monster fun.

32 Movies Watched: Dracula, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, King Kong, Son of Kong, The Bride of Frankenstein, Werewolf of London, Dracula's Daughter, Son of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Hand, Son of Ingagi:spooky:1, The Wolf Man, The Corpse Vanishes, The Ghost of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Tomb, Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, Son of Dracula, The Mummy's Ghost, The House of Frankenstein, The Mummy's Curse, The House of Dracula, She-Wolf of London, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Godzilla, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Godzilla Raids Again, Five Short Films About Bigfoot:spooky:2, Abbot and Costello Meet The Mummy, Horror of Dracula, Psycho, King Kong vs Godzilla