Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

worker honeybees are females, typically there's tens of thousands of them in a hive with a few thousand drones (males) :sci101:

the drones basically exist to go fly around and meet up with a queen, usually from another hive, and mate with her. they don't collect nectar or pollen and can't feed themselves. queens usually go on one mating flight in their lives and collect a giant reservoir of sperm

i've been a bee landlord but chicago is a tough place to keep bees because they have a tendency to die in the winter if there's any kind of cold snap, and it's sad

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

one time a bee swarm visited my backyard for a few days it was surprisingly chill even though i was kinda ascared

honeybees will really only attack if they feel like the hive is threatened, and when they're swarming they don't have a hive, so they're literally just trying to find a place to live. if you find a swarm the best thing to do is try to contact some local beekeepers to come collect it and rehive it

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

yeah it turned out i had a friend of a friend come and take the swarm, for beekeepers finding a swarm is a lucky strike! he told me otherwise you can pay like several hundo for a fresh swarm.

he showed up and literally scooped them into a trash can with a lid, with his bare hands, in a t-shirt. that shoewd me how docile they truly are in the swarming phase. it was crazy.

lol that's great. i know some serious beekeepers have like vaccuums that gently remove them

but yeah a package of bees (typically about 10000 bees and a queen) costs about $100, and a swarm is usually way more bees than that

more falafel please

forums poster

i own my house and my landlord never fixes loving anything

more falafel please

forums poster

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Sounds like the house is owning you

fffff....fukc