Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Someone left something at bomb site B. It's not a bomb. Or at least probably not. What's this case?

Oh good, it's not a bomb.

Instead it's an antique! Looking kind of short though.

Okay, that's better, nice and long and discreet.

Counter Terrorists win!

This is a weird purchase for me, and only came about for two reasons: a) I had this Tirant 45 that needed a host and b) Counterstrike nostalgia. CS was actually what got me interested in learning about guns, as a stupid rear end 15 year old. And look how that turned out.

So I got this unit off of gunbroker, paid a tad more than I would have liked, but it did come with that original M2 UTL light. It's very much a 90's kind of light, an actual bulb with a warm tint to the light. Compared to modern stuff, it's pretty dim. Like trying to clear rooms with a scented candle. Luckily, LED replacement bulbs are available, and one is in the mail to me now.

Haven't shot this particular unit yet. I anticipate it will be pretty smooth, since I used to have a regular fullsize USP 45. It was a good shooter, but I had no use for it at the time since it was so huge. This one is in pretty good shape overall. Almost no wear, and the internals were almost totally clean when I got it. Pretty surprising for a gunbroker buy.

As far as practical use, I will probably use this thing at IDPA for shits and giggles in grumpy old man division.

At this point, guns I own that happened to be in Counterstrike are:
USP 45 Tactical
Glock
M4 Carbine
Steyr AUG
AK

Although out of the above, only the 45T comes close to looking like it did in the game as I remember it. My others are too drastically modified to look the same.

Who else has made gun purchases largely influenced by video game nostalgia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Rat posted:

Someone left something at bomb site B. It's not a bomb. Or at least probably not. What's this case?

Oh good, it's not a bomb.

Instead it's an antique! Looking kind of short though.

Okay, that's better, nice and long and discreet.

Counter Terrorists win!

This is a weird purchase for me, and only came about for two reasons: a) I had this Tirant 45 that needed a host and b) Counterstrike nostalgia. CS was actually what got me interested in learning about guns, as a stupid rear end 15 year old. And look how that turned out.

So I got this unit off of gunbroker, paid a tad more than I would have liked, but it did come with that original M2 UTL light. It's very much a 90's kind of light, an actual bulb with a warm tint to the light. Compared to modern stuff, it's pretty dim. Like trying to clear rooms with a scented candle. Luckily, LED replacement bulbs are available, and one is in the mail to me now.

Haven't shot this particular unit yet. I anticipate it will be pretty smooth, since I used to have a regular fullsize USP 45. It was a good shooter, but I had no use for it at the time since it was so huge. This one is in pretty good shape overall. Almost no wear, and the internals were almost totally clean when I got it. Pretty surprising for a gunbroker buy.

As far as practical use, I will probably use this thing at IDPA for shits and giggles in grumpy old man division.

At this point, guns I own that happened to be in Counterstrike are:
USP 45 Tactical
Glock
M4 Carbine
Steyr AUG
AK

Although out of the above, only the 45T comes close to looking like it did in the game as I remember it. My others are too drastically modified to look the same.

Mosins, because every WW2 game and the
Remington Autoloading Shotgun from RDR.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving Day of Defeat is what got me into milsurp so . . . . yeah.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

The Rat posted:

STALKER definitely influenced my desire for an AK-74.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm going to own an antique lever gun and it's going to 110% be RDR2's fault.

I mean, gently caress, I'm already looking at beat to gently caress C96s and wondering how much of a crime it really would be to get it blinged the gently caress out with two-tone plating and some engraving with inlay.

Ghemah
Nov 5, 2005
master of string cheese

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Rat posted:

CS was actually what got me interested in learning about guns, as a stupid rear end 15 year old. And look how that turned out.

It was Metal Gear Solid that got me into guns, I appreciate this purchase.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ghemah posted:

Speaking of which, MG, MG:S, and MGS:2 are on GoG now.

Which is not something I ever expected to see.

Ghemah
Nov 5, 2005
master of string cheese

Same and I bought them all as soon as I saw them. So much nostalgia.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Cyrano4747 posted:

Speaking of which, MG, MG:S, and MGS:2 are on GoG now.

Which is not something I ever expected to see.

Taking a quick skim through the forum there, it looks like these are just the old PC ports which don't work so hot on modern systems.

E: I may or may not have spent a bunch of time in Gunstruction trying to make a plausible build out of this.

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 26, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Are you gonna put something in that outer window sleeve?

That bag is dope. Is that a period correct bag? Did all of them come with a bag like that?

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Ghemah posted:

Same. Now I own a mk 23 and it kills me that in Canada I will never be able to own the suppressor or LAM.

BF1 really kicked off my interest in WW1 milsurp.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wait why canít you have a light/laser in Canada?

McNally
Sep 12, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait why canít you have a light/laser in Canada?

Lasers and flashlights don't work in Canada because of how far north they are, so the Canadian government passed a law prohibiting them to keep people from wasting money.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

If Canada actually has laws outlawing lasers and/or lights on guns, that is outrageously dimwitted. But with regards to the Mk23, the chances of finding an actual LAM anyway are slim to none, and get ready to pay about $2500+ if you do.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

If Canada actually has laws outlawing lasers and/or lights on guns, that is outrageously dimwitted. But with regards to the Mk23, the chances of finding an actual LAM anyway are slim to none, and get ready to pay about $2500+ if you do.

We arent that bad but we're getting there. Sorry I was referring the pain in the rear end of finding one and importing it with the exchange rate being rear end too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Can the original HK LAMs be upgraded to LED? I mean for as expensive as they are probably if the upgrade cost is proportionate.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dat backwards bullet doe

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

But of course.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

I probably wouldn't have been as hard for or known the Mosin if it hadn't been for Call of Duty. But then I saw one in real life and it looked great and cool and I got one and fifteen year old me was real happy about it, but then the bolt, it stick.

It still sticks.

I should fix that one of these days.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

Absolutely loved DOD when I was a teenager (more than CS) but Red Orchestra is what got me buying guns... an SVT-40 is my eternal white whale and they aren't getting any cheaper

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That is awesome.

I played Rainbow Six as my first sorta shooter with real guns and I would love to get a Walther WA 2000 but my money and desire have not been enough for their current pricing.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Somebody Awful posted:

STALKER definitely influenced my desire for an AK-74.

Same

wound up building one.

And once I get some freeking time on a lathe... multiple things in 9x39 muahahaha

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

The M1 was in one of the first FPS games I remember playing, Battlefield 1942. I never would have got two of them with TFR though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are you gonna put something in that outer window sleeve?

That bag is dope. Is that a period correct bag? Did all of them come with a bag like that?

Not sure. They seem more uncommon compared to the plastic hard cases, if recent gunbroker posts gives any idea.

infrared35 posted:

Dat backwards bullet doe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_cvY6G_JhI

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

infrared35 posted:

Dat backwards bullet doe

Ah gently caress I can't believe I missed that

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Now I want to know how bad of a malfunction that causes.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Try it for science, Rat. Does it push the bullet into the case and jam it between the slide and barrel, or does the slide ride over top and do nothing?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Slim Pickens posted:

Try it for science, Rat. Does it push the bullet into the case and jam it between the slide and barrel, or does the slide ride over top and do nothing?

In my experience, a USP will feed a backwards casing or cartridge well over 50% of the time.

I would do it with an empty or a dummy round though. If you get a live round stuck backwards in the chamber and you decide to tap it out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod or something...

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oof well that's something to consider. Don't have any 45 dummy rounds unfortunately.

I did just get the Lumen Factory LED bulb in for the UTL, and it works pretty well. Actual bright light, comparable to my X300U's (older 600 lumen models) and totally functional. So I got that going for me.

Also got some of the Solum Tool mag extensions. So far they seem nice. I got the +2s since the +3 is OOS and it is unknown when they will be back in stock. They feel solid, and a loaded 14rd mag locks in on a closed slide a lot easier than a loaded 12rd mag with factory baseplate.

Going to do a color fill on the slide lettering and I'll get some pics when that's done.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Rat posted:

Oof well that's something to consider. Don't have any 45 dummy rounds unfortunately.

I did just get the Lumen Factory LED bulb in for the UTL, and it works pretty well. Actual bright light, comparable to my X300U's (older 600 lumen models) and totally functional. So I got that going for me.

Also got some of the Solum Tool mag extensions. So far they seem nice. I got the +2s since the +3 is OOS and it is unknown when they will be back in stock. They feel solid, and a loaded 14rd mag locks in on a closed slide a lot easier than a loaded 12rd mag with factory baseplate.

Going to do a color fill on the slide lettering and I'll get some pics when that's done.

Malfunction-clearing, Level 1: mix some dummy rounds in your mags

Malfunction-clearing, Level 2: mix some empty casings in your mags

Malfunction-clearing, Level 3: mix some empty casings AND dummy rounds in your mags

Malfunction-clearing, Level Galaxy Brain: mix some dummy rounds in your mags facing forward and backward, along with empty casings facing forward and backward.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Man I got a Promag mag, that's like guaranteed malfunction drills already right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

infrared35 posted:

Malfunction-clearing, Level 1: mix some dummy rounds in your mags

Malfunction-clearing, Level 2: mix some empty casings in your mags

Malfunction-clearing, Level 3: mix some empty casings AND dummy rounds in your mags

Malfunction-clearing, Level Galaxy Brain: mix some dummy rounds in your mags facing forward and backward, along with empty casings facing forward and backward.

Secret squibs

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Universe brain: .40 and .45 gap loaded with your .45 acp

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

If they made a 10mm USP that wasn't some goober conversion setup that required you to eject unfired rounds through the mag well, I'd have probably gotten that instead, but alas.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

USP was the best all round pistol in CS. I would only buy the sig if I felt extra cocky.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>

The Rat posted:

All three of my SBRs.

I know, the last one isn't a K, and I need a micro uzi SBR and a PS90 SBR, but I'm getting there.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Rat posted:

Not video games, but my interest in black powder was heavily influenced by seeing The Last of the Mohicans and the Sharpe movies as a kid.

Lovely pistol, above all else though. I do remember purchasing that option in CS when I was doing my undergrad.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Just did a color fill on the left side text and I think it came out pretty well. The blue did not stay at all in the HK laser etching, but stayed pretty well in the rest of it. (Went off of this guide: https://imgur.com/a/KDjmY#80TyHnj )

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Since this is a counterstrike guns thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

gently caress, I miss the early oughts.