Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
at a wildlife park i met a baby wombat named tonka. his handlers said he was very affectionate and playful, like a puppy, but they had to wear a makeshift suit of basically leather armour every time they went into his enclosure, because the way baby wombats play is full-body tackling and even though he was tiny it was like being rammed by a joyful cinderblock. when i met him he was fast asleep on his back with his little legs in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

also, a wombat's rear end? rock hard. they have like this plate on their rear end, i don't think it's bone, just muscle, but it's so incredibly hard and strong it feels like bone. they're famous for crushing foxes and dingoes to death against the roof of their burrows if they try to chase them down there, and the rear end plate is what they use to do it with. (i've touched a wombat's rear end.)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

wombats own

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

wombats are powerful, but honourable

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

more like your mombat

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

incidentally, many indigenous cultures did not eat the wombat because it was considered an unclean animal, due to living underground

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

pretty-faced wallaby is the species' actual official name btw

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Tace Vim posted:

I did not know this... interesting

my mob eats wombats because they are delicious
lol actually now i come to think of it, i can't provide a source for that claim and whatever article i read it in didn't specify which particular cultures don't eat wombat, so the factoid may be true or it may be straight out of someone's rock-hard rear end. please forgive me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

echidnas are lovely

their mating ritual involves several males following a female in a conga line for literally miles on end over several days. when she's ready to mate, she climbs a tree and the males parade in a circle around the base of the trunk until she chooses which one to make love to. if none of them please her, she curls up in a ball and well, that's the end of it