Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Randallteal posted:

My second favorite line was easier to find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SONRSUcKk4k

I think about "Manischewitz are GOOD people - they're YOUR people - and they sell wine for religious ceremonies of all faiths!" every time I pass by the wine aisle at the grocery store.
I liked the bus ad that they came up with for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LividLiquid posted:

I wish I remembered this, 'cause it sounds fantastic.

Edit: Ope. Nevermind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6rHu1i0Lo

The Churchill but at the end is fantastic too.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've started Season 7. The first two episodes meander a bit but episode 3 where Don attempts to go back to work was spot on. That scene where he enters SC&P and the camera often takes Don's perspective as he sees how everything's changed and he feels so alien was really strong. The awkwardness of everyone not expecting Don was great. Letting Don back into work felt like a power play by Sterling. Even when the guy is doing seemingly nice things for people its about him being the boss.

At the end of the episode where Don is called into conference, I was sure he was going to get told to buzz off but their ploy that he do exactly what they want him to or he gets the boot feels like them expecting him to slip up so they can fire him out of the company easily. We'll see.

As for Lou, he's a jerk but I think he's a compelling character as someone who was hired to fill the position of Don and Ted after the end of Season 6. I had to look it up and see if he was in the show prior and nope. He's just here being very unpleasant.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

As for Lou, he's a jerk but I think he's a compelling character as someone who was hired to fill the position of Don and Ted after the end of Season 6. I had to look it up and see if he was in the show prior and nope. He's just here being very unpleasant.

he's briefly shown in season 6 in the episode where roger and don are sitting in the airport on the way to go pitch to chevy. he taunts them about losing vick chemical after pete fucks up his relationship with his father in law

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I gotta say that Season 7 is fresh with Don being kind of an adversary in the office. I just finished episode 5 and that Jim gives him in the taxi "This won't save you." oh god, did that give me chills! Ginsberg has always been eccentric and offbeat but the dude's mental health took a dive in this episode with him cutting off his own nipple. I think he was stressed out because they took away the cool lounge they had. If I had a lounge and it went missing, my energy would be shaky too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DoubleCakes posted:

I gotta say that Season 7 is fresh with Don being kind of an adversary in the office. I just finished episode 5 and Ginsberg has always been eccentric and offbeat but the dude's mental health took a dive in this episode with him cutting off his own nipple. I think he was stressed out because they took away the cool lounge they had. If I had a lounge and it went missing, my energy would be shaky too.

The change in work culture from 1960 to the 70's gives me whiplash, too, so I get where Ginzo is coming from. The old early-60's Sterling-Cooper is buttoned up in a way that feels totally alien to any workplace I've experienced, but I see how it might be comfortable for the people with offices (mostly it's crazy to imagine some recent college grad getting an office and secretary as a new hire.) Then it becomes the mid-60's SCDP lounge where Ginsberg seemed most comfortable, and that actually felt really nice. It was social, laidback, had a lot of the best aspects of a contemporary startup.

But wow does the lovely, oppressive Office Space drudgery hit like a freight train by 1970. The joyless, colorless, utterly hostile way SC&P transforms into a bunch of featureless white hallways circling a giant computer is depressing as hell.
The eventual ubiquity of the all-grey, fully carpeted, drop-ceiling offices that take over US work culture by the 80's is even worse. Truly miserable.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

even the all gray fully carpeted drop ceilinged grey fabric cubicle panels and gray fabric office chairs with the only color being the beige computers is still less depressing than what a SCDP in, say, 2018 would look like, a warehouse full of rows of tables with people sitting elbow to elbow using their macbooks

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

the thing is, ginsberg obviously has a point while ALSO being mentally ill, which is why peggy cries when he gets dragged out

he's a smart guy, perceptive, but not well

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
He's death the destroyer of worlds

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hailthefish posted:

even the all gray fully carpeted drop ceilinged grey fabric cubicle panels and gray fabric office chairs with the only color being the beige computers is still less depressing than what a SCDP in, say, 2018 would look like, a warehouse full of rows of tables with people sitting elbow to elbow using their macbooks

I'm old enough to remember having an office with a door, it was lovely.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I'm old enough to remember having an office with a door, it was lovely.

I've been sitting at "open space" table arrangements for most of my working life, except one job where I was in a cubicle. I still can't decide which one I disliked more

hoping the wfh revolution is here to stay.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Today's episode was The Strategy where Peggy and Don work on their Burger Chef commercial. Jeez, this feels like a different world where Burger Chef is some big hamburger chain. Frankly, I was craving those hamburgers, but I'm kinda always craving them hamburgers.

The highlight of the episode was Don and Peggy talking shop and then dancing to My Way. I'm also curious where the story is going with Bob and his MAYBE homosexuality? I think another look into the life of a queer man in the 1960s would be nice since Sal got the boot from the story and I've given up hope that he's going to have any follow up like Paul did. I don't LOVE Bob's character but even with the remaining eight episodes the story has potential to do something really interesting with Bob.

Next episode is Waterloo. When I told people today that Waterloo was up next, I had to hold them up to prevent them from fainting. I'm expecting something out of sight!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bob is one of the most revoltingly compelling characters I've ever seen, and he's not even the most revoltingly compelling character in this show! (that would be Pete!)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Waterloo is drat good television

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You just won't see something on that scale again coming out of the west. The Lesser Scott's torturous propaganda work looks so amateurish in comparison

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I never quite understood how Bob ended up in the firm, but my head-canon is that he pulled a Costanza and just showed up one day and pretended to work there as an intern or assistant (or something?) and everyone was like “well I guess this slimy suck-up who gets everyone coffees is here to stay”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he was ultimately harmless, unless your name was Campbell or Dykeman

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ulvir posted:

I never quite understood how Bob ended up in the firm, but my head-canon is that he pulled a Costanza Don and just showed up one day and pretended to work there as an intern or assistant (or something?) and everyone was like “well I guess this slimy suck-up who gets everyone coffees is here to stay”

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ulvir posted:

I never quite understood how Bob ended up in the firm, but my head-canon is that he pulled a Costanza and just showed up one day and pretended to work there as an intern or assistant (or something?) and everyone was like “well I guess this slimy suck-up who gets everyone coffees is here to stay”

That was about half of it, yeah. Other Half is no one checking fake references

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Don took Stirling out on a bender with oysters and martinis, and convinced him that he actually did get the job. Costanza just picked a firm and showed up one day, much like I assume Bob did

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

That was about half of it, yeah. Other Half is no one checking fake references

lol forgot about that bit

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Alright. So, Waterloo. I was asking myself what was so special about this episode and the moon landing is a good historical backdrop. But then Don gets the letter that he's getting the can. The music's good in this episode. It's very tense in that moment. I will say, though, that the episode is quick to break the tension. Sterling runs to sell the company to McCann and the transition over goes relatively smoothly. Then Don imagines Cooper having a musical number.

Altogether, it was a wild episode. For all the spoilers that had been spoiled for me, Cooper passing was a surprise. The guy says 'Bravo!' to the moon landing and then he's just gone? Well, he left this world elegantly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Re: Waterloo and also how it relates to the rest of the season: Cooper's passing really works amazingly well in that it leaves this giant vacant spot in everybody's lives, but especially Don and Roger's. For Roger (rest of season spoilers), it actually spurs him into a very, very, very late personal growth that shows how comfortable he was being firmly the second banana to Cooper even when the latter was all but retired. For Don, (rest of season spoilers) it leads to interesting pieces where Don imagines Cooper as the friendly, inspiring, supportive mentor he remembers from their earlier part of his career while trying to ignore that by the end Cooper was entirely fed up with him, wanted nothing more to do with him, and would have been happy to see him gone and never cross his path again.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I watched Severance and New Business and man did that timeskip throw me for a loop. I saw Roger with a moustache and thought it was an alternate universe episode. The episode actually gets kinda dreamy at times which added to the confusion but by New Business I had accommodated myself to the jump forward. We are in the 1970s and people got moustaches.

I'm curious about what the story is going to do with Diana because she and Don have this dark chemistry that works very well. How's this relationship going to evolve?

Also, Harry has been a lowkey trash person for most of the show but that trick he pulls with Megan really brought it home.

About Severance, though, Ken has been one of the most fascinating characters for me. I started the show hating him but have warmed up to him as his situation has changed. There's that dinner– I forget which season– where he explains one of his science fiction stories and he came off pretty deep. For awhile I was wondering what he was doing with his writing and in Severance he says that it had been awhile since he wrote anything. It was pretty sad. He gets fired and there's an opportunity for him to return to his writing but no he has to become head of advertising at DOW. Ken, you had an out!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ken had the opportunity to be the bigger man, to walk away a successful and happy man enjoying a comfortable life with a loving wife, adoring child and wealthy, supportive and kindhearted in-laws. But he had to weigh that against an equally enticing option: pure spite!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He wasn't seeing clearly by the end

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Gaius Marius posted:

He wasn't seeing clearly by the end

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So coming off of The Forecast, Glen's crush on Betty is not something I wanted to return to Mad Men. I didn't have a lot of stock in the dignity of Glen's character but I feel this episode tossed him into the gears I little bit too much.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We're in the final stretch. Time & Life: the curveball that is Don forming a plan to keep SC&P a California agency but having Jim Hobart deliver the bad news that they're going to be absorbed anyway was a gut punch. I'm assuming this sets up the story's final chapter. It's wild.

Also, big laughs for Lou Avery moving to Tokyo to start his cartoon. "It's Speed Racer, Don!" Thank you Lou Avery for making Mobile Suit Gundam my faovurite animuu

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lou Avery becoming an anime was an absolutely outstanding way for him to exit SC&P :allears:

Re: Hobart, loved the subversion of Don planning another escape/wild plan to keep his "freedom" and being unceremoniously (but with genuine if misplaced warmth) told,"Nope, not interested, I'm in charge here."

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The show has a very uncanny ability to develop plots and outcomes for its characters in ways that are both unexpected and unsurprising

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Finished up Lost Horizon: Literally laughed out loud when Roger handed Peggy that classical hentai. Somehow, somewhy, Mad Men became about anime just as it was ending. Super weird to see the SC&P offices after everyone has gone and no way in hell did Peggy clean up that coffee she spilled. My favourite directing moment is when Don walks down the hall at McCann and bumps into several people. Even after Harry had a computer plopped into the middle of the agency, the halls were a decent width.

Joan is probably the character who I've turned the most in favour over the course of the plot and I want to see what happens with her trying to leave McCann. Is she going to take Richard's advice and get a 'guy'?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DoubleCakes posted:

Finished up Lost Horizon: Literally laughed out loud when Roger handed Peggy that classical hentai. Somehow, somewhy, Mad Men became about anime just as it was ending. Super weird to see the SC&P offices after everyone has gone and no way in hell did Peggy clean up that coffee she spilled. My favourite directing moment is when Don walks down the hall at McCann and bumps into several people. Even after Harry had a computer plopped into the middle of the agency, the halls were a decent width.

It's a Hokusai woodblock, so not really "about anime" beyond being Japanese art. Given Cooper's original Rothko, I'd imagine it's an original 19th-century print, too...I have no idea how much an original of "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife" would go for but probably a gently caress of a lot. I sure hope Peggy holds onto it.

Would love to watch Sukauto no meiyo, though. Sayonara, indeed, Lou Avery.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Xealot posted:

It's a Hokusai woodblock, so not really "about anime" beyond being Japanese art. Given Cooper's original Rothko, I'd imagine it's an original 19th-century print, too...I have no idea how much an original of "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife" would go for but probably a gently caress of a lot. I sure hope Peggy holds onto it.

Would love to watch Sukauto no meiyo, though. Sayonara, indeed, Lou Avery.

In Waterloo, Cooper also has a Jackson Pollock in his living room. Man had quite the collection

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The Milk and Honey Route: Jesus, is the Betty news heartbreaking. I think I read somewhere that Betty doesn't last to the end of the series but I guess I forgot or something 'cause this caught me off guard. It's extremely heavy business. I have anxiety and how this reflects with me experiencing media is imminent death is hard to watch.

Meanwhile, Pete is getting pestered by Duck. My god, if you went back to that one episode where Duck gets divorced or that award show where Duck is drunk and screaming across the room and then told me Duck was going to make it to the end of the series somewhat put together, I would have been shocked. Anyway, I was honestly surprised that Trudy went along with Pete's plan at the end of the episode, but on the other hand, it seemed like he was repairing thing in the family. I don't even know how. Did he move back to New York and now he's patching things up with Trudy? It's understated but not necessarily bad.

Now Don: getting stranded in the middle of nowhere is always an adventure. Was super worried for Don when that Korean war vet sat down with them. Would this be when Don was revealed an imposter? Apparently not, in fact Don is truthful about what he did to kill his commanding officer. It was a powerful subversion.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
...You stare at the sun every day?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I can't stop the war, Ted.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Over Dresden? I wanted to live."
"AND THE CLIENTS WANT TO LIVE TOO, TED! :byodood:"

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I finished it yesterday and I've been thinking a lot about the finale. It was a little weird seeing Peggy and Stan get together. It felt very series finale in a way that I wouldn't expect for Mad Men, like something off of Gilmore Girls or the like. I guess Peggy turned down Joan's offer but I guess that makes sense. Peggy has conformist tendencies which is maybe why she turned down Joan but I can imagine her quitting McCann in a year or so and working for Joan's production company.

But Joan though, shame it didn't work out with Richard but Joan wants what she wants. She's probably the character I grew to like the most. At the start I was saying "You suck, Joan!" whenever she was on screen but by the end I was saying "You rock, Joan!"

It's so weird seeing Pete get what seems like a happy ending. I'm not sure I like where his character landed in the end, but the destination is not the point. Pete's character was always entertaining and complex.

I can't even fit all of my thoughts into one post. I need to lay down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's one hell of an ending, yeah!

I feel like Joan and Peggy (speculation from the final episode) would have ended up clashing massively after the initial honeymoon period, and I don't know how much they'd be able to ride that out and end up back on the same page (briefly) like they did when they had the buffer of the rest of SC&P often giving time and distance from each other.