Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I've always assumed he stole that typewriter from Lois when she was Don's secretary. Ken says, "That dumb girl almost got fired" (by getting blamed for the typewriter going missing), which seems to be how people think of her around the office. And it makes sense because Paul is in that part of the office a lot, and you know he's too lazy to walk across the office to commit theft, plus Don leaves early a lot. Poor Lois can't catch a loving break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Since episode one where Kinsey is kind of set up like a high ranking one of the boys, does he ever actually pull off anything of note? All I can remember is

- him trying to be clever during the deodorant meeting and Don shutting him down immediately
- showing up late to the airline meeting with no art and nothing more then a bunch of lovely puns
- just absolutely blowing it during the pot smoking session at the office coming up with nothing good before, during, or after
- melting down in the meeting with the Madison Square Garden people

It always seemed like even Ken had a better idea of creative then Kinsey ever did. He saw genuine talent in Peggy and wasn't afraid to admit it while Kinsey probably would've tried to take all the credit for anything she did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paul apparently got widely credited and lauded for successfully managing the campaign about the nuclear power plant going up without protest, and though they ended up not going through with it (and Peggy hated the concept and Don was grumpy they were being asked to do it at all), Paul did hit on a winner for the Playtex account.... which he wasn't actually on, he came up with the idea while out drinking with the others and forced his way onto the project.

He's very much an "ideas guy" and every so often he's the broken clock being right twice a day, but based on that powerplant thing it almost seems like he'd be better suited to PR than advertising, though then you see how he botched the MSG thing (and immediately regretted it and was ready to bend over backwards for them) based on bullshit "principles" that even Pete loving Campbell can see are hollow.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Goofballs posted:

Poor Paul. He's deeply insecure so he's always trying to project the image of being established as whatever he thinks is as positive, anti-racist, intellectual, creative, conservationist but he never gets around to actually doing any of it because he should always have been there already. He's sad and petty but he's also so inconsequential. I never got why people disliked him to much though because so many of the other characters are so much worse, they're just more charismatic. He's just a guy who believes his own virtue signalling if I can use that term in a neutral way.

No, he definitely believes he's somehow superior to the others, an unrecognized genius. When they leave to start their own agency, he's actually shocked that they didn't take him with them but took Peggy instead.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Continuing on my through line about Jones from last episode, her performance is amazing in the latter half of this one. She looks completely and utterly dead. I remember feeling taken aback by just how awful she looked the first time I watched the episode, when she gets out of bed and answers the phone and there's just nothing, there's not even a person there, just a shell. That image and that feeling stayed in my mind for a while afterward.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

For some reason my memory of Paul's idea was screwy. I thought he'd come up with some kind of Art Deco Hermes thing and forgotten to write it down. It's a lot better that the idea is unsaid, but apparently I just assumed it'd be something like that and my memory cemented it as established.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I always loved Jones's expression at the end of this episode. That angry music from Kill Bill should be playing over it.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Jerusalem posted:

There is so much to unpack in his "My God." The cynical take would be that he thinks Peggy has gone it again, she's taken his idea and put her little "twirl" on it it and gotten all the credit from Don for being his favorite. She pretended sympathy and then "stole" from him. The more positive take, and the one I choose to believe, is that this was a Road to Damascus moment for Paul.

I have the Bluerays and the commentary of this episode talks about Paul's actor asked for direction on his "my god." He was told "this is the moment Paul realizes he is bad at his job"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

KellHound posted:

I have the Bluerays and the commentary of this episode talks about Paul's actor asked for direction on his "my god." He was told "this is the moment Paul realizes he is bad at his job"
lol

I'll give Paul the only credit I'll ever give him. Realizing you're completely incompetent both at your job and your social position, overlooked by people junior to you, and not even considered for promotion must be absolutely hell. Dude really shoulda chosen a different career

He has no spark or zeal for the work. Paul and Don are both frauds in a way, but one of them can make ad's

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
The commentaries are very good. There is one episode that has a long tangent about LA Noir because Ken and Paul's actors were both in it.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
This last recap spurred me to think about how Don's thinking of himself as some sort of fake or fraud isn't even remotely fair. There's very little that changing his identity from Whitman to Draper really did for him other than give him a lucky shock to the system likely to be a requisite to starting over. All he would've had to do to be in the exact same place in that fur shop would've been to cut ties with his old life completely, which is possible even in today's connected world. That he swapped dogtags is legally problematic to be sure, but being an officer wouldn't've necessarily ensured his discharge or even increased his chances of getting out of Korea. Draper's name didn't parlay any particular status or advantage to him. The notion he carries with him - that he is some sort of fraud - is itself the recursive source of his fraudulence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schlieren posted:

This last recap spurred me to think about how Don's thinking of himself as some sort of fake or fraud isn't even remotely fair. There's very little that changing his identity from Whitman to Draper really did for him other than give him a lucky shock to the system likely to be a requisite to starting over. All he would've had to do to be in the exact same place in that fur shop would've been to cut ties with his old life completely, which is possible even in today's connected world. That he swapped dogtags is legally problematic to be sure, but being an officer wouldn't've necessarily ensured his discharge or even increased his chances of getting out of Korea. Draper's name didn't parlay any particular status or advantage to him. The notion he carries with him - that he is some sort of fraud - is itself the recursive source of his fraudulence.

Now you're getting it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Schlieren posted:

The big difference is staying one day in Korea vs. however long he was gonna be there. He could of ended up hamburger, covered in his own piss.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've sort of assumed that if "Don Draper" was so injured as to be sent back to the US and promptly discharged, then so was "Dick Whitman."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just to be clear Dick was in Korea for awhile not just a single day

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaius Marius posted:

Just to be clear Dick was in Korea for awhile not just a single day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaU1TpU6LxM

I don't think so. You get the idea that Dick has never even fired his rifle at another person yet. He only leaves Korea because the real Draper had put in his time and had almost finished up his term. Dick is acting like he just got off the turnip truck. The way he acts when the bombs go off it is like its the first time he got shot at.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Definitely not, first off it woulda taken him awhile to get to the front. Two you can see that he arrives during the day and then Don dies on a different day, three Dick was alive long enough to be surprised that he was surprised that Don didn't tell him of his wife. I'd guess at least a month or so at the front and another couple for basic.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KellHound posted:

The commentaries are very good. There is one episode that has a long tangent about LA Noir because Ken and Paul's actors were both in it.

gently caress me, I need to get the blurays

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t believe that the US Army had yet adapted any type of rotational system that would be used for deployment in Vietnam where once you got through your 12 months you got to go home. It was still operating under the general principle of you’re there for the duration of the conflict baring getting wounded or the military deciding they needed you elsewhere. So Pvt Dick Whitman would likely have been stuck in Korea until 1953 assuming he survived. Lt Don Draper obviously had privileges as an officer and got to go home early for reasons I can’t remember because I haven’t seen the show for a while now.

Now IIRC Dick got there after stalemate set in after the Chinese offensive in the winter of 50/51 petered out and was pushed back so it’s not the worst time to show up but still.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

GoutPatrol posted:

He only leaves Korea because the real Draper had put in his time and had almost finished up his term.

Yeah, I assumed this was the pragmatic reason Dick switched tags. I don't know if that's factual, that a married officer who'd served longer would be sent home where some private wouldn't be, but honestly Dick couldn't have known that for sure either. It's probably something Dick-as-Don needs to tell himself, regardless of the truth.

Of course, the real reason he did it isn't pragmatic and doesn't need to be. Don has so much shame and trauma in his past, and he's really ill-equipped to process it in any kind of healthy way...so symbolically killing himself makes a ton of sense. Sure, he could've just moved to New York and never contacted his family again. But putting Dick Whitman in the ground REALLY cuts those ties. And obviously, Don burying his problems and/or running away is a pretty succinct descriptor of how he is, how be approaches hardship generally.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Lt. Draper said he was "almost a civilian" because of the amount of time he'd been in Korea. He knew when he was going home, and it was soon.

This isn't very definitive, but in The Suitcase, Peggy asks Don if he killed anyone in Korea, and he says no (which, ok, technically he did) but that he "saw some people get killed." Plural. Maybe he was speaking a loose or deceptive way, but I always took that to mean that he saw combat at least one other time, knew someone who died, and was thoroughly terrified of being a soldier by the time he met Lt. Draper.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

KellHound posted:

This is great, ahaha.

I wonder how it feels to realize the character you're being asked to play is a loser (that's a harsh way of putting it I know): are you flattered that they respect your ability to play that, or paranoid that they look at you and immediately think,"This guy's really believable as a loser gently caress-up who is bad at his job!"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 17, 2021

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaius Marius posted:

Definitely not, first off it woulda taken him awhile to get to the front. Two you can see that he arrives during the day and then Don dies on a different day, three Dick was alive long enough to be surprised that he was surprised that Don didn't tell him of his wife. I'd guess at least a month or so at the front and another couple for basic.

He arrives at night and gets to work the next day. He had dug 1 ditch. The rest of that look like a hospital?

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

KellHound posted:

And Pete! And Harry! And Gene Hofstadt! And Archibald Whitman! And Jimmy Barrett as Mickey Cohen!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jerusalem posted:

This is great, ahaha.

I wonder how it feels to realize the character you're being asked to play is a loser (that's a harsh way of putting it I know): are you flattered that they respect your ability to play that, or paranoid that they look at you and immediately thing,"This guy's really believable as a loser gently caress-up who is bad at his job!"

Presumably less bad than being hired for being massively fat, or hideously ugly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don’t believe that the US Army had yet adapted any type of rotational system that would be used for deployment in Vietnam where once you got through your 12 months you got to go home. It was still operating under the general principle of you’re there for the duration of the conflict baring getting wounded or the military deciding they needed you elsewhere.

Nope. Korea wasnt a total war or anything, so term limits applied, for people conscripted at least. Not 12 months, but 24.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jerusalem posted:

This is great, ahaha.

I wonder how it feels to realize the character you're being asked to play is a loser (that's a harsh way of putting it I know): are you flattered that they respect your ability to play that, or paranoid that they look at you and immediately thing,"This guy's really believable as a loser gently caress-up who is bad at his job!"

Playing a delusional gently caress-up is probably pretty fun for an actor; I hope it's the first one.

The feeling I got from the Paul / Peggy rivalry was like a really low-stakes Salieri thing. I still don't think Paul is "terrible" at his job, just very mediocre and totally delusional about his level of talent. It's almost worse than him being objectively awful, he just...is. Maybe the show's intent was for the "my god" scene to mean "I suck at this," but I read it as his dawning realization that Peggy just has "it," some way of thinking that he doesn't.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yoshi Wins posted:

I think they do well at showing Joan developing into the role of head ops honcho, but I question Lane's dialogue in the season 5 opener that "the books have been held together with spit" with her on leave, and that he's adrift without her, and that soon "everyone will see that I'm a sham." It always sounded to me like we were getting new, out-of-left-field information that Lane can't do the things everyone assumes he can. But maybe it's just his self-esteem issues are so serious that he goes about complimenting a skilled co-worker by presenting himself as useless. That wouldn't be out of character!

He also asks Joan, "What do I do here?" and she replies with the vague, "Something essential." I thought it was pretty clear what he did. Keep the books, watch the companies debt/credit/payroll, identify areas to cut costs, etc. A role that is rarely seen as non-essential to running a business with tens of millions in billings. The presentation just never smelled right to me.

You also have to keep in mind that he's British, and is genetically predisposed to understatement. I remember some story about a joint American/British battle in the Korean war, where a British unit was about to be completely overwhelmed and surrounded, and the American commander didn't send reinforcements because the British commander chose to communicate the predicament as "a bit sticky" so I can totally believe Lane describing his incredibly important role in the organization as not a huge deal, especially if he's depressed. That said, I haven't watched this show in a very long time and have forgotten most details, so I could be completely forgetting major characterization in season 5 (tbh I thought Lane had already died by then, so shows what I remember)

Xealot posted:

Playing a delusional gently caress-up is probably pretty fun for an actor; I hope it's the first one.

The feeling I got from the Paul / Peggy rivalry was like a really low-stakes Salieri thing. I still don't think Paul is "terrible" at his job, just very mediocre and totally delusional about his level of talent. It's almost worse than him being objectively awful, he just...is. Maybe the show's intent was for the "my god" scene to mean "I suck at this," but I read it as his dawning realization that Peggy just has "it," some way of thinking that he doesn't.

My read on Paul is that he's one of those guys who's just useful enough that it'd be more trouble to fire him than to keep him on, but he sits very close to that line

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's my birthday today. My birthday wish is a Jerusalem write up of the next episode :pray:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I can’t even remember how the Connie storyline ends so I’m looking forward to being refreshed.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who says it ends in the next episode? hmmmmmmmmm???? maybe connie will become a permanent cast member! who's to say really

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

On January 3, 1979, Hilton died of natural causes at the age of 91. He is interred at Calvary Hill Cemetery, a Catholic cemetery in Dallas, Texas. He left $500,000 to his two surviving siblings, $100,000 to his daughter Francesca, and $10,000 to each of his nieces and nephews.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I can’t even remember how the Connie storyline ends so I’m looking forward to being refreshed.

What, you don't remember the big season finale twist when PPL announces Sterling-Cooper is moving...TO THE MOON?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gaius Marius posted:

On January 3, 1979, Hilton died of natural causes at the age of 91. He is interred at Calvary Hill Cemetery, a Catholic cemetery in Dallas, Texas. He left $500,000 to his two surviving siblings, $100,000 to his daughter Francesca, and $10,000 to each of his nieces and nephews.

Well now we know when the series is going to end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m sure it would be an awful idea but Id totally watch a “where are they now” special set ten years after the series ends. You know, whenever that is. Could be in 1974 could be 2020 who are we to say.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m sure it would be an awful idea but Id totally watch a “where are they now” special set ten years after the series ends. You know, whenever that is. Could be in 1974 could be 2020 who are we to say.

I'd like a "where are they now" to look like a promotional graveyard tour, like you're visiting Arlington.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Betty showing up alive mid-way through the special like Harry Lime.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Only if it has the same energy as the final episode of Sex House

Sal comes onto stage everyone cheers
"And I'm straight now" He says with a gigantic smile
Crowd loses it with applause

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 21, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

I'd like a "where are they now" to look like a promotional graveyard tour, like you're visiting Arlington.

I want Roger to be, inexplicably, still trucking at 105+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Weekend at Roger’s