Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I think I've maxed out my attempts to watch through this series, but I really enjoy your write-ups Jerusalem, so I'm on board with this here thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Welp it finally happened, after the last 8 episodes maxxed out at like 45k characters, I ended up going overboard on this one. If these things are getting way too verbose, let me know, and I'll try to be a bit more efficient with my wordcount. I tend to - and greatly enjoy - rambling on about a point :sweatdrop:

It's arbitrary, and obviously you can do as you please, but I feel like keeping to one post per episode seems right. Though maybe that's impossible for e.g. a particularly busy season finale.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Still loving these writeups! I think you have a typo for the director's name, it's Lesli Linka Glatter (with a "k" in the second name).

Wish I had something more useful to contribute :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

KellHound posted:

I think it's less those shows get made with the time they come out in mind. But instead them reflecting those themes help them connect with people more. It makes them become a hit rather than a have a cult following. Like Parks and Rec doesn't really become a hit until it starts presenting caring good people in government and cheering Leslie on. That tone for a show wouldn't really go over well now.

Ted Lasso feels like a similarly positive/caring tone and is a big hit?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

KellHound posted:

I haven't seen it but based on the premise summary I'm finding, Ted doesn't work the government. I'm not saying positivity and caring won't work now, but that the government is run by good people trying to do good won't work now.

Ah yeah my bad, didn't read any emphasis on "government" in your post :)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I missed these, nice to see a new one :)

Got some Betty for Peggy going on:

"Betty's determination to go and prove herself right" paragraph 6

"Betty, who is already forcing herself just to show up" paragraph 7

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

He's been on Comedy Bang Bang many times too, and held his own I think. (Again, possible spoilers.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah these posts aren't so bad, but "why are you upset" is overly dickish. Press send before that part.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I withdraw my "this poster isn't so bad" reckon.

I reaffirm my "these write-ups are more enjoyable than rewatching the show" reckon.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also a great way to not need to come up with "the perfect idea" when writing the script :v:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Rich Sommer: "Fifteen years ago today, I walked out the side of the elevator set instead of the door, thinking the shot was over. It wasn’t, and if you watch real closely, I sure do walk through the goddamn wall, right there on TV."

No idea what episode this is so I'll spoiler the three second clip in the elevator: https://twitter.com/madmenpics/status/1389179052339175424

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Blood Nightmaster posted:

As somebody who's never seen Breaking Bad I have to ask, why was this opinion so ubiquitous? I don't mind spoilers if it helps contextualize things. I hear it was a great show so I'll probably watch it someday regardless

A bunch of angry misogynistic men who are bad at watching tv shows didn't like there being a woman character who was reluctant to blindly go along with everything the violent psychopath male anti-hero wanted.

Add to that it being a popular show and said group of men being especially loud, and you're probably getting the picture. It's incredibly gross but it'll make sense when you start watching, she's presented as an obstacle to be overcome.

Well, some of it will make sense. The actress receiving endless hate will probably never make sense.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Klowner posted:

Genuine question, what need is there to label spoilers by season? Is there anyone who hasn't seen the whole show but is ahead of the thread?

Yes, though I don't have any opinion on spoilers.

(The season 3 finale writeup reminded me that this is nearly where I stopped watching, so technically I've not seen the whole show but am ahead of the thread.)

(That said, I remember nothing about season 4, and my having stopped is more an indication that I got distracted/busy than anything to do with the show.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I appreciate the unintended foreshadowing of Betty's call by describing the hotel room's contents as "Betty and Stan" :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I guess that's the difference in perspective between 2013 and today though.

Recaps in general are usually pretty poo poo, then and now, no doubt in large part due to time constraints. I think you're right in that some recaps would mention it if the episode aired yesterday, but if a conclusion requires a minute's thought then I wouldn't expect it in a day-of recap.