Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Also, that $22 then is around $193 now. I don’t know anyone in a long term, joint-finances relationship that would just spend nearly $200 on themselves on a whim without discussing it first, especially when that money was likely expected to go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

They both come from families that are (theoretically) loaded though. I don't think they see two hundred bucks the way we do.

Hmm, that's a fair point.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't think alot of that info comes out until season 2, so I'm putting this warning in spoiler text.

The Cooper conversation about having a Dyckman in the company rings very true to Old New York, and something that by the end of the 60s was definitely dying out. I don't think they ever mention or connect Bert Cooper or his sister to it, but there was an old and powerful Cooper Family in Manhattan, but the Dyckmans with that Dutch name would be old, old money, real Social Register types.

This is the only post I'll make about it because I don't want to derail, but I still can't loving believe that the Social Register still exists! Like, what the gently caress, how can there be people who still think this is meaningful AND don't already know the sorts of folks who would normally be included?

Also, from the Wiki. This gives an idea of the sorts of attitudes at play here, so it's kinda maybe if you squint on topic.

quote:

Inclusion
Traditionally, wealth or fame have been insufficient for inclusion in the Social Register; Kim Kardashian and Gloria Vanderbilt were never listed and Donald Trump, prior to his election as President of the United States, was also not included.[8][15] A 1985 article reported that "enrollees need plenty of green (money), blue (blood), and lily white".[15]

Listing in the Social Register has typically been through birth: Children born to a person listed in the Social Register are, in turn, added. Persons have also been permitted to apply for inclusion in the Social Register. Such applications require letters of sponsorship from five persons already listed, followed by vetting from the advisory committee. In 1997, a spokesman for the Social Register's then 25-member advisory committee described the criteria by which a person might be added to the directory.[12] The committee, he said, asked themselves "would one want to have dinner with this person on a regular basis"?[12]

The President of the United States and Vice President of the United States are, by custom, always added.[16]

Exclusion
Reasons for removal from the Social Register have traditionally been opaque.[17] In the early 20th century, historian Dixon Wecter observed that those excluded tended to be persons unfavorably reported upon in the press and that, as long as one's private life "keeps out of the [newspaper's] columns" the risk of exclusion was low.[18] The Social Register also tends to exclude people of "illegitimate" industries, such as motion pictures, regardless of wealth or social status.

A Social Register spokesman reported, in 1985, that elderly persons who failed to remit the questionnaire sent to listed persons by the register for eleven consecutive years were removed. In addition, someone who married a person who was not, themselves, listed in the Social Register might have been dropped.[19]

As of 1988, about 35,000 individuals were included in the Social Register.[3] By 2014, this number was reported to be approximately 25,000.[2]

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

KellHound posted:

Yeah. Pete's family is a means to an end, also Pete isn't slick. He is someone she can maneuver. He is easier to read then some of his old money peers. Which is where is cynicism lies. Her naivete is in well... being surprised by how everything turned out.

Christ, what a miserable existence.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just really appreciate the amount of analysis you put into these, it’s been a fun late night read.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I feel like I have to post the scene where Betty walks down the staircase from this episode--it really is one of those times where the music just fits the moment perfectly. It almost feels like an ad itself, kind of selling the idea of their relationship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orSVWAXC6Nw

Wait, is she wearing that fur coat? It has to be, right?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The Klowner posted:

Come to think of it, the Obama years were pretty incredible for television. I can't think of one tv show since Trump that comes close to breaking bad or mad men or true detective s1

Chernobyl comes to mind, especially when you consider the attention to detail for a period piece. Watchmen and Lovecraft Country as well.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Whiskey (especially rye) tastes amazing in mulled cider, if you're feeling seasonal.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
And let’s be honest here, does anyone really think that Pete wants to be a father at all? He keeps finding reasons not to. And frankly he’s not really in a position culturally or maritally to freely say “I don’t want to have children” like someone in his shoes 40-60 years in the future.

I have to wonder how the family dynamic would have changed if Pete was the only one to have kids and his father were still alive.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It would be interesting if there were a set of movie/tv/music awards that are only awarded ten years after release. The 2021 version would cover stuff released in 2011, etc.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

Jesus can you imagine if the show ended at tommorowland, absolute insanity. If he ain't lying ill give it to weiner for sticking to his guns, cutting cast and shorter episodes would've destroyed the show.

Why the gently caress do channels keep insisting on this with their best pretsege shows? If you want to be taken seriously, it's going to cost money and the one way to gently caress that all up is to go cheap and alienate your audience. Look at SCFY and "The Expanse"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for your patience, updates should be much more regular from now on I hope!

Please don't apologize, your analysis has been an absolute treat and if you need to take a break we're happy to wait :)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I don't know if it's just "how management worked" back then or if they're particularly callous, but I just can't believe how incredibly lovely the London office bosses were. People shouldn't be surprised by a visit out of the middle of nowhere and certainly not during a national holiday. Outside of being incredibly lovely, you aren't going to get a full view of things - many folks are going to be out, clients are going to be out and so on. Given how long they've clearly been planning (given Guy's preparation), it was all likely done on purpose to gently caress with everyone and inject chaos into the situation rather than do a legitimate evaluation.

Then you have the fact that no one at SC seems to know where they stand, least of all Lane. How is it that you can manage people and not let them know from time to time how they are doing, what they're doing well, what they need to work on and so on? The fact that Lane doesn't know if he's being fired or promoted is really unacceptable. Also, the fact that he was reminded to put his glasses away before they walked into his office appears to be a subtle foreshadowing as to how upper management views physical disabilities.

Then the shitshow with the surprise reorg and excluding Roger, holy poo poo. Did they think he would just slink away in shame and never come back?

And then of course we have the replacement of Guy because someone missing a foot can't golf and can't walk (which is bullshit, you can) but nope, he's done and his book smarts don't mean poo poo compared to having the right looks, social class and no disabilities. Nothing like getting fired because of something a coworker did to you. I'd have to imagine there would be some sort of lawsuit or severance or something but since he's no longer their little prince, I'm sure they'll fight that tooth and nail. I'm also certain that his disability would lose him friends and social standing as well.

Good times!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Infidelicious posted:

Because she acts as a foil to the protagonist by acting like a normal and rational person thrust into an impossible situation; and people are misogynists / idiots.

Same type of people hate Keiko in Deep Space 9 for the crime of not being 100% on board with every single decision her husband makes and for being a person with her own goals.

I think writers share some blame here in always making a/the woman the foil/reasonable person/person who gets in the way of something interesting happening.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shageletic posted:

being aloof and mysterious is just being a pain in real life, and its cool the other characters recognize it. Imagine this dude was your boss. I wouldnt want to talk to him.

Reminds me of how the main character of The Wire is a cop who's a "loose cannon" that "plays by his own rules" and instead of celebrating that, you instead see repeatedly how loving obnoxious that really is.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Nope, but I also very rarely drink Mountain Dew :shrug:

On a slight tangent, does anybody else get weirded out by the beer cans of that period having a pull tab that just comes right off?

I do, holy poo poo. How could you walk on a beach barefoot knowing that existed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yoshi Wins posted:

The fact that Lt. Draper was an engineer is a problem. If the background check is really just a formality, Don would just have to remember what school Lt. Draper went to. But if they ask him, like, one question about engineering, he's toast.

I agree with this anyway, but even without it the fear Don must feel of going back to what he came from must be immense. We've already seen strong hints of it, we know that the circles he runs around with out cast him out in an instant, so such a fall would likely break him.

It also makes sense to me that he wouldn't think to try and get a lawyer to fix things - he's still relatively new to this social class (Betty's old, "you don't know how money works" is telling on so many levels) and wouldn't innately understand the power that comes with being "invited to the club" (to paraphrase Cooper).

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I believe I mentioned it in the write-up, but even if Don got found out but managed to skate by without being imprisoned, he'd be done in the eyes of the people whose respect he "cares" about... cares in the sense that he needs it and expects it even if he often looks down on them himself.

Pete mentions that he didn't think anybody cared about that kind of thing anymore, and it's true that the fervent patriotism/willingness to sign up for military duty had waned by this time and would only continue to do so... but desertion and stolen valor (I'm sure he would have still gotten a purple heart as Dick Whitman, but that's besides the point) would still be a big loving deal even in the late 60s. Dudes were fleeing to Canada to escape getting drafted knowing if they stayed in the US and refused to go to war then they'd go to prison: a guy asking for access to classified information being revealed as a deserter who knowingly took on the identity of a guy who died in the line of duty? That's gonna have major repercussions, even if Don is rich and increasingly well-connected in the right places.

I had assumed this was just heart medication (and holy poo poo he should NOT be drinking and smoking like he does after TWO heart attacks), and that he waited for Lee Jr. to be gone because he feels that it would make him look even weaker in Lee Jr's eyes. Is there a further significance/connection between those two scenes I'm missing?

I think some could wonder if he was taking a cyanide pill after hearing such news. But it would be weird to just have something like that on your person, especially if you're rich and otherwise have a great life.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

roomtone posted:

your general point is right but i think it's a bit more than 4 years. megan is (mentioned after this episode but i don't think it matters) 26 in season 5, betty i think is supposed to be mid 30's by this point, january jones is just young looking. back then especially, i think the 8 or whatever years between them was significant. betty also had access to higher education - she studied italian at college and speaks it well, so it's not just that either. the environmental thing is really the difference, though.

I would guess that the sort of college Betty went to was more of a finishing school rather than the more typical college experience we think of today that Megan likely got.

Anyway, despite being uncomfortable, Don is a gigantic horse's rear end in the way he treats Megan here. She put out everything she had to honor her husband and he just threw it in her face and treated her like poo poo for it. The mature thing would be to actually loving communicate and respect the fact she did a ton of work, even if he doesn't like big parties. I still remember watching this live and thinking, "Don, go gently caress yourself" and my mind clearly hasn't changed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I have to say though, in listening to "Tomorrow Never Knows" again, that's a really tough song to get into. But then again maybe all modern music sounds like that to him.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
You know, speaking of things that could have been done but weren't, it's really odd to me that Lane wasn't sponsored for a green card. He was a partner and having that would have given him some breathing room.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How can you tell if someone is a pilot?

Don't worry, they'll let you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Canter's is loving incredible.