Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Paper Lion posted:

oh god, i hope he doesnt get himself on board the stupid "megan wearing this shirt means she will die at the tate house manson family murders" poo poo like so many people did when it was airing weekly

One thing that really impressed me about Mad Men looking back on it is how few characters actually got killed off over the course of the show. A lot of prestige shows around that time like the Sopranos and the Wire, and especially the AMC ones like Breaking Bad and Walking Dead, had that hook of "who's going to die this week?" whereas by the end of Mad Men the only relatively major characters who have died are what, Anna Draper, Lane and Bert? And aside from that it's a handful of side characters like Betty's dad and Pete's parents. I mean, a lot of that comes down to the different setting and subject matter, but I think philosophically Mad Men was just more interested in how characters change and come out the other side versus how they meet their end.

EDIT: Paging Paper Bear to the thread, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Donnie Draker

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

Awesome recaps, Jerusalem! Now that you've completed the series I can share this without spoiling anything:

In the lead up to the airing of the finale, there were a bunch of theories floating around about what Don's ultimate fate would be. One of the theories focused on the fact that the show's opening credits depict a man in a suit falling from the top of a building and took this to mean that Don would end up killing himself by jumping from a building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5-sdHP0YQ

Of course, the opening credits don't end with the man in a suit hitting the ground. The opening credits end with the man sitting relaxed, similar to Don's state at the end of the finale. He fell quite a ways before he got there, but in the end, he was okay.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

KellHound posted:

Bojack Horseman. While it doesn't seem like an obvious jump, it scratched a lot of the same thematic itches for me.

Oh yeah, good call. The connection that jumps out for me is how both shows (very mild thematic spoilers for Bojack, I guess?) trace the trauma that the main characters experience as children into how they function (or malfunction) as adults. Bojack goes a step further and explores how trauma gets passed through generations, especially through the excellent "The Old Sugarman Place" and "Time's Arrow" episodes.