Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Well every Pete wants to be a Don.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I think he does admire Pete in a professional capacity. Because Pete is the one working the hardest to make this company be successful. And he did say in the New Years drinking with Don outing that Pete has been the friendliest to him.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

Yeah, I didn't see them together until the late night calls, and then I assumed it immediately. I feel like Stan is different in seasons 6 and 7. He's a more empathetic communicator. The conclusion of their story in the finale is very rushed, but Peggy has a line that rings true for them: "You always make everything OK."

I hated that stupid merger plot point in season 6. It's the kind of stupid forced bullshit that other shows do.

Same. As soon as she was calling him at night after leaving SCDP, I knew they would end up together. She doesn't keep in touch with anyone else from work when they don't work together. She doesn't keep in touch with anyone else, even Dr Faye whom she claims to look up to and want to keep in touch with because of her desire for a woman she sees as goals. Stan is something special. Stan realizing she hadn't slept with Don in his first episode is I think a hint of that.

And I think actually think Abe's short story that was supposed to flatter Peggy but is actually super insulting (since it ya know compares her to a war criminal) is a clear sign that they are doomed.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 30, 2021

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I remember when Joan has her big conflict in the last few episodes, a reviewer saying that because Joan is more traditionally femine than Peggy and did originally want the marriage housewife end game she has a harder time navigating sexism problems than Peggy. Like Joan understand times are changing but because she was surviving in her old role so well, she doesn't have various degrees of dealing with the problem. I think this episode is starting to foreshadow that. Joan's survival tactic might have worked in a 50's early 60s office, but Peggy is the one who got rid of Joey. And she is the one who got Stan in line earlier. Joan's politicking is gonna be less and less effective.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Also, even though he called her a war criminal, he clearly cares about her opinion. Which right now Peggy doesn't get a lot of.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Don gets put "on leave" at the end of Season 6 for...kind of a lot. Most directly for his breakdown in the Hershey meeting, which torpedoes a major deal that was essentially closed. Joan, in particular, is very eager to vote against him after the way he deals with Jaguar earlier in the season, cutting them loose without consulting any of the other partners (but ESPECIALLY her.)

Then after he comes back, Culter tries to use Don's letter as an excuse to fire him because they can't get a new cigarette company with him still there. This also means to defend himself Don has to talk to cigarette company meeting without permission, breaching terms of service and getting him fired anyway. Only Roger selling to McCann saves Don

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

ulvir posted:

yeah, Jerusalem does bring up valid points about Betty in their write-ups, but it’s also simultaneously true that Betty is incredibly emotionally immature compared to pretty much any other woman in the show. (future spoiler) and that becomes even more glaringly obvious after Don and Megan gets married

I forget which reviewer said it, but I remember reading a review of the last season which said while married to Don: Betty acts like a child when upset. Megan when upset acts kinda like a teenager.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

roomtone posted:

That's season five.

As for Betty's characizaition this season, I think it's really funny. Everything she does and says is terrible.

Her mistake was taking her chance for growth last season and instead using Henry as her escape hatch, which is just swapping one man for another as her way to define herself. You'd think Betty was waking up to the patriarchy when she finally threw Don out, but she actually just thought it was specifically Don who was ruining her life. If she had a good husband, everything would be perfect. So she gets one, and is confused and pissed off that she doesn't feel that much better. So she's looking for help without admitting she needs it (very clever stealth therapy ruse...) and lashing out randomly at anyone in her orbit.

I think some of Betty's childish behavior is understandable, awful but understandable. She is basically getting over the trauma of being gaslight for over a decade by Don. It's pretty clear from her chat with Sally's therapist. She talks about being upset about Henry slamming a door. And then in the episode where the feds come to talk to her about Don, she is clearly bracing herself before telling Henry because she remembers how Don blew up. She is making SOME progress. But she is still ultimately childish because of how her parents treated her. Also, she needed an escape hatch. She basically has no skills job wise because she went from daddy's girl, to model, to housewife. And she always would lash out (remember her shooting the birds in season 1? And setting up her friend for an affair that she can then yell at her about?), it's just Henry has the skills (which the children lack) and the equal footing (which Carla lacks) to calm her down. I just think right now she looks worse than earlier seasons because without Don being awful back, she is having a one sided fight. But she is slowly realizing that fight isn't there (except for a couple of times when Sally is being well a teen later on).

KellHound fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 25, 2021

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

They are making a commercial and the guys want the beatles. Don tells them "no one can afford the beatles" and the episode ends with them playing the beatles :3

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I love Ken's AWFUL shots at being creative. He's a writer so he assumes he can just throw out great advertising ideas but there's a reason he's an Accounts man and not in Creative :allears:

I think this season and next season made me think Ken is the nicest/most moral person in the show. Then I rewatched and realized completely forgotten how much of a creep he was in the first few seasons. Also Single 30 is maybe my favorite episode in the whole show. I'm excited for Jerusalem to get to it.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Also when the are you a Jackie or a Maralyn episode Peggy asks which she is. Ken replies Gertrude Stein and everyone laughs. That is one where I think in hindsight, maybe that was a compliment not an insult.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Everyone grows in the show. Most of the time it feels like in a negative direction.

Ken and Stan are like the only men who end up in a better place by the end. Peggy and Joan too, although for alot of S6/7 Joan turns into a FYGM character most of the time. I wouldn't call Pete and Roger growth because we've seen them make these leaps before and always crawl back to their lovely means.

I think Pete did actually grow. Basically his mom dying was the best thing to ever happen for his emotional devolpment. Like he grows because of his time in Cali and backslides upon return. But I think the end shows is him mixing that growth with his old life. In the last episode with him, he is introspective in a way we never see him do before. Not even while in Cali

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I couldn't remember the episode by name so I looked it up and immediately had to rewatch the fist fight scene. my god.

as far as incredible line reads go, "YOU WANT SOME MORE, MR. TOAD??" has gotta be right up there with "NOT GREAT, BOB!"

While the fight is nice, Ken writing the man with the tiny orchestra while Pete pouts about a teen girl not fawning over him is a end that always sticks in my head. Ken is actually a good writer! I would 1000% read his books. Also, I bet Paul unknowingly reads all his books too

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Wasnt Ken a bitter eye patch wearing ppl yelling guy by the end?

In his defense he was SHOT IN THE FACE and is on the edge of a nervous breakdown/burn out because the car guys take up so much of his time he can't do work life balance he does in these seasons.

I actually think his ending is a tragedy. He was ALMOST free. And then he caught Pete's pettiness and had to get revenge on Pete.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

its not that shes not fawning over him, its that he has to sit there and watch her kissing this dudes neck to stop herself moaning during the film reel while he fingers her right there in the classroom. he's entirely emasculated and brought low. possibly the lowest pete ever truly feels in the show, honestly, and informs his buck wild swing into the behaviour that leads to his other problems, because hes trying to compensate for the events of this one episode.

also re: ken i dont think he ends up bitter in a general sense, he seems to have a sense of humour about the situation at the end. its just that his sense of humour is being able to laugh at how the tables have turned, and now he can make them do whatever he wants. its been a long time since ive seen it so feel free to correct me, but the vibe i always got was "you are basically still guaranteed my business, but im gonna gently caress with you if i feel like it" which is entirely within his right. trolling his former employer that ignored his concerns and had him maimed as a result isnt really bitter or malicious, its just turnabout being fair play.

I remember them making out but not the fingering. But yeah, he was completely emasculated and also doesn't realize he's a creep for even trying with the teen girl. Also, is season 5 when they start shaving his hairline or did that start already in season 4? I remember it being subtle enough that I didn't realize it at first.

Also, I didn't say he was bitter, I said it was petty vengence. Right before it is clear that him and his wife have enough money that he can just write. And he decided to commit to a career track he doesn't care about for petty revenge rather than focusing on his writing full time and spending time with family. Sure, he could still turn things around but he has made himself unhappier for the sake of revenge on Pete.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

drat! Also I believe he was told to gain 50 lbs for the last season

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Bedshaped posted:

Watching season 3 for the second time makes this all the more infuriating.

(season 5) When it's Sal and Lee Garner Jr., Don says he should just let Lee gently caress him for the sake of the business. When it's Joan and Herb, "no business is worth this".

It's extra bad after even watching Season 6. Because those seasons combined kinda make it clear that Don's ego about his work that he care about rather than any moral stance. He says Sal should have just hosed him because they had lucky strike. But he wanted creativity to win jaguar not something else. And while Joan who got the WORST part of the Jaguar deal could put up with Herb, Don acts like a petulant child around him. I also think it's funny Herb assumes Pete's an idiot, not realizing Pete is bending over backward to keep Herb away from people that hate him.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Every scene that is just Peggy and Roger is gold.

-We have her getting Freddie's old office
-then we have in the elevator where she tells him her father is dead
-him telling her pete is the last guy he hired
- and now her taking all his money

They are rare but they are all amazing

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

This is by far my favorite episode! I love the end with Ken's writing over Pete being sad and bitter.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/kellhound/status/1447674940119945224?s=20 I'm reposting this penguin books mock up a friend made for me ages age because of this episode.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That rules!

Also that voiceover from Ken at the end is one of the few times in a television show I can remember when somebody who is supposed to be a good writer narrates something they're writing that actually SOUNDS like good writing to me. I remember feeling embarrassed during House of Cards when they'd have some supposedly world class writing genius narrate some bit of writing they were doing and it sounded so trite and unappealing.

Yeah, that's one of the things I really liked. Ken is ACTUALLY a good writer. I would read his short story collection

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

The BEST part is Paul probably reads all of Ken's stories not knowing they are Ken's. He is a big sci-fi fan

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Mover posted:

One of my favorite endings to a Mad Men episode. I imagine Tomorrow Never Knows cost most of this episode’s budget but it was 100% perfect

It most certainly was. I love the "no one can afford the beatles" line and then ending with a Beatles song. This is also when they came back from a long argument/negotiation about the budget for the series in general. It is very most soaking in their victory over AMC

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

So it's funny that Michel saying "Look upon my works" and being told to read the rest of the poem is in the same episode as "I don't think about you at all." Because I feel like the I don't think about you at all gif set of that moment gets used (much like the look upon my works line) to have the opposite meaning of it's full context. Whenever I see someone use it, I think "you gotta watch the rest of that episode"

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I always assumed Joan didn't want Roger's money not because he'd resent her or anything like that. But she knows Roger will use him giving money to her as a way to wriggle in and try to get more from her/disregard her boundries. Basically, he'd do to her what he did to Jane. He bought Jane an apartment (in exchange for coming to dinner yes) and it took him only a couple of hours before pushing to get invited up and then sleep with her. Joan clearly knows Roger better than Jane.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

After the empty elevator shaft scene, I remember seeing an acquaintance tweet "I don't think I'm smart enough to keep watching Mad Men." They just didn't understand why that was there. I think it there was a bunch of people pulled into the show because of the 60s fashion and the surface level stuff. The symbolism frequently goes over those people's heads because they aren't used to TV doing those kinds of things. My mom recently started watching, I had to explain to her why Betty was shooting at the neighbors birds in the episode "The Shoot." It's a skill that has to be developed. I think that's mostly where the divide between Mad Men is subtle or unsubtle comes from.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I love everything with Bob this season.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Him hitting on Pete is one of my favorite scenes (the other being Pete falling down the stairs). Because as phoney as he is, it's funny that he thinks Pete is gay because 1.) Pete doesn't live with his wife anymore 2.) he is fussy 3.) he dresses well (I think Pete does a good job of updating his appearance without making it look like a sad attempt to look hip.) and 4.) he has a complicated relationship with his mother. The whole story with them is a trainwreck.
Anyway, there are 14 slashfics on archive of our own about Pete and Bob.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I also liked the episode, surprised to hear it has a bad reputation, though I agree the editing is rough in parts. Also yeah, Stan's facial hair looks good but Jesus Christ everybody else's looks terrible. I didn't mention it but I love that Pete's trying to give a little more volume to his hair to keep in style but his rapidly receding hairline makes it look ridiculous.

Roger's hair change is appropriately more muted, and I like that Don's look remains timeless: same perfect tailored suits, same perfect hair, same perfect face, and how that that very timelessness may actually indicate that he is losing touch with modern sensibilities, like we saw with his failure to get a read on modern music last season. The world is changing, but Don doesn't seem to be.

So, I actually think except for Pete looking like Pete, he is pretty well dressed. His is adjusting his wardrobe to update with the times without looking like a sad sack older guy chasing trendiness (see Harry).

And Don isn't updating his wardrobe, which we see as a good thing because that look has aged better in our eyes, but in the context of the time period he is gonna be more and more out of place for being old-fashioned

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I never thought this episode was particularly bad either but I also don't really think of the two part openers as separate episodes. The back half might be my favorite just for the funeral scene alone, lol

I went and looked out of morbid curiosity; apparently somebody wrote a one-off about Pete having Bob take him to a gay bar in order to do "undercover" market research for a fake brand of pomade and now I'm kind of upset that's not an actual episode

The one titled Two Cups of Coffee has really nailed down Pete's speech pattern

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Pete is at liberty to be an rear end in a top hat forever because his family's rich. If they weren't he would have been out on his rear end after season 1 and doing Hare Krishnas with Lakshmi by now.

Nah, for all of Pete's flaws he at least has ambition (remember Paul was complaining that things couldn't stay the same). He is more likely to to end up like Burt Peterson.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 8, 2022

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I can now post this link without spoilers! https://www.wired.com/2013/04/mad-men-season-six-premiere/ This was a thing my friend wrote for wired where they had to review the season 6 premiere without having seen any other mad men.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

So did your friend eat multiple hats or what

Also very confused as to why Wired has replaced header images on old articles with a picture of a redhead in a bikini but whatever gets pageviews

Well the point of the article as more "can you watch mad men season 6 with no previous mad men context?" and the answer is kinda yes.

Them watching these episodes, then seeing the first episode after, did get them to watch mad men with me regularly until they were caught up. So worked out great for me. I had a pal to over analyze mad men with!

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

This was a fun read, I loved likening it to having dinner with somebody else's dysfunctional family :)

Stan saying the ad being about suicide is what makes it great was the first impression my friend had of Stan. And because of that, he's their favorite character.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

That's the episode. "You'd rather not think about it, but there is a tear, and in that tear are all the tears in the world; all the animals, crying." Excited for J-Ru to get to that one, because there's a LOT going on there.

I love that while Stan is cracking up, Ginsberg is like Whoa! Really? and then wants to talk to the guy more.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

Bobby's whole existence on the show is justified in this episode.Just the most laser-guided missile right in Don's weaknessess as a parent.

Ginsberg's parts were good too, and I wish they got followed up , I don't remember his personal life (or his father) being shown much after this episode.

The other Bobby & Don moment that stuck with me is in either season 1 or 2, drunk Don talks to Bobby about his father and Bobby responses to what Don said with "We HAVE to get you a new Daddy!"

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

This episode has two of my favorite tiny moments. I love Marie's "She is the apple that goes in the pig mouth" line. And I LOVE Pete falling down the stairs.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I think also Don firing Jaguar without talking to anyone else reveals that it is all about him. He opposed Joan sleeping with Herb part to defend her honor but I think more so because he wanted to win with creative alone. He wanted to get the account "the right way" aka the way where he gets most of the glory. And if you rewatch that episode, it also illuminates him leaving the room being the end of the conversation in his mind. As the main character of his life movie, important things don't happen without him.

Also, I think Pete does still get some serious moment. Like when he talks to his brother at the very end. I think Trudy is right when she tells Pete he is free now that his mom died. A lot of Pete's insecurities and shittiness come from him dealing with his mom. He is almost a decent person while he lives in LA. Removed from that old New York money scene, his buttons don't get pushed as much. I think that is why at the end of the series he agrees to relocate to Kansas. He has realized a lot of what brings out the worst in him is his formerly beloved Manhattan. His compliant about suburbia is there aren't any good city noises, so I think he'll always love the city more than the suburbs but any other city will do him some good

KellHound fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 10, 2022

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

kalel posted:

I think "classist" is a little harsh to describe the table's reaction to herb's wife. people like her exist at every socio economic bracket; she's not evil, she's probably not a bad person, she may even be very nice... but come on. We all have a Mrs. Rennet in our lives

Jerusalem I think you edge much more critically of the characters in general than me but this is a step too far. Annoying people are real, and they're out there! They could even be lurking in this very thread...

Class goes beyond how much money a person has. They have to had made that money a certain way. Herb is the blue collar guy at a white collar table (and a white collar company). It's partly a new money thing but also certain types businesses regardless of how wealth their high ups are, will stay perceived as blue collar (mechanics, construction, plumbing, and car sales) because they aren't classy jobs to have. That might be part of why he wants to throw his weight around and bend SCDP to his will. He wants white collar guys that usually look down on him to kiss his rear end. And being a blue collar guy has probably helped me sell cars that aren't jaguars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Pete snaps,"My mother can go to hell! Ted Chaough can fly her there!"

I want you to know this episode aired on mother's day. :P