Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s really unbelievably stupid that Hamm never won an Emmy because they wanted to give Bryan Cranston loving 5 in a row or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I wasn’t aware he finally broke threw at the end.

Breaking Bad basically swept everything for it’s entire run and it’s a terrible injustice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Breaking Bad is one of those show we look back at years later and go “yeah it was good but why did it come to dominate pop culture for a short burst of time?” Whilst Mad Men ages like fine wine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m tired of show and movie creators feeling that they need to subvert our expectations because it usually goes horribly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Klowner posted:

The argument over "Death of the author" is probably the defining conversation of the current era of film/literary criticism. I.E. what are the author's intentions for a work, and do those intentions show through the work?

Is it Martin Scorsese’s fault that his inarguably critical stories on the poo poo that is the mafia has glorified it in the eyes of a lot of stupid people?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My favorite Jon Hamm story is that for some reason he blatantly lied about being a catcher for Roger Clemens in college despite actually being in Junior High when Clemens entered the majors.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So what does everyone think about Paul Kinsey’s arc?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Klowner posted:

S8 spoilers Don hugs him because he gives him the idea for the coke ad op

I think it’s more than that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I wonder if it's better or worse than murdering the show because you didn't understand the legs it had. RIP Carnival and Rome

Not sure why this is a spoiler. And what HBO did to Rome is a crime.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Re: Pete’s politics

He’s consistently portrayed as the most politically liberal/progressive, within the obviously limited confines of upper-class white New York society.

There is definitely an intended irony that while he’s seemingly a dick in many ways he’s far more sincere in his progressive beliefs than Paul who is a Nice Guy but entirely performative.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Regards Sal Im so sad about what’s about to happen. :smith:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Game of Thrones allegedly accidentally filmed a rape scene and while it seemed ridiculous at the time the way things unraveled with the writers by the end of the series I now believe it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

END OF SERIES SPOILERS

So what will be the takes of Pete arguably having the happiest ending out of anyone except maybe Joan?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

I do think he's grown as a person by the end of the series, but I still don't have any confidence that his new appreciation for being a family man will last. I think Trudy makes a mistake by taking him back.

Oh I absolutely believe he grew as a person and I actually think he’ll be ok going forward. Remember the series ends in 1970 and it’s still just 1963 so a lot of time is still to pass. But my main point is whether a rapist deserves to grow as a person and live happily ever after as a better man without once being held accountable for what he did. Probably not right? But that’s what happens and IMO the show makes it pretty clear you should feel happy for him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Klowner posted:

Would you hold Don in the same regard, given how he grabbed Bobbie Barrett in season 2? Or does the context of that make it different?

Man I forgot about that. When I first binged the show early last year that really freaked me out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sebmojo posted:

She did it to him first, though of course the power relationships aren't the same.

I can’t recall her doing that to him. It probably didn’t even register with me. Which is probably telling.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

In just the last decade we’ve had movie stars like Brendan Frashier and Terry Crews be subject to some men in power over them grabbing their genitals and in Frashiers case speaking up about it internally helped end his career. And that’s in the 2000s. I can’t imagine how in 1962 or whenever if a man ever even hinted that he was uncomfortable with someone, especially a gorgeous looking woman, grabbing their genitalia without permission how that’d be received. They’d likely be labeled as a queer and ostracized. I don’t know if Don cared but maybe he did. And if he did he knew there’s sure as hell nothing he could say about it.

I don’t mean to equate the abusive situations then men experienced back then with that of what women went through because of the day to day power imbalance but it existed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm too drunk to remember where Jerusalem is at. Are we at Sal's firing yet. Cause that poo poo is the exact same, Even today, I've been groped in "Jest" by my female managers. That poo poo wouldn't fly if the roles were reversed but you're just supposed to take it as a man.

We are not there yet. I am both excited for and dreading that write up.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Also Betty has literally no idea how much it costs for some working class stiff to live in Rome.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh man that reminds me

What episode does Don have the fever dream of murdering a woman? That’ll be interesting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm actually literally writing up the episode right now. I am currently very angry about something that happens in it!

We’ve all been dreading this one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So simple full season spoiler question.

What main characters do not in some way grow as a person? Who outright regresses? I would say Harry obviously happily turns into a slimebag and Pryce tragically falls apart. But everyone else still around near the end is probably in a better spot than they started the series in. Even Betty as she’s dying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh man I just remembered something coming up either next season or the one after that.

Reading Jerusalem’s thoughts on how Betty treats Carla they’re gonna blow their top when Betty freaks out and unceremoniously fires her because she dared let Sally’s friend be in the house. Honestly I feel like if Don was still around he’d have probably not let that happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This thread deserves more discussion dammit. I wish I gave a drat about this show back when there were weekly watch threads. I would have probably been too young to appreciate it though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Since the last couple season of Mad Men were airing right when the popularity of Breaking Bad exploded on the same network I can only imagine how that affected the commercials.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I think Jerusalem is going to be disappointed in Betty, just like I was. I remember thinking catching up with the show and starting to watch S4 live, that Betty was going to pick up a copy of the Feminine mystique and turn into a more modern woman, when if anything, she regresses in S4 & 5, and her main trait appears to be "rear end in a top hat yelling from the kitchen". and Mad Men was right. because a simpler show would have done that, but Betty herself would not have come to that conclusion. she wasn't looking at a breakaway from Don to be an independent woman, she went with Henry because that is what Don is supposed to be.

Well at the end while she was dying I believe she became a much different person but between divorcing Don and being diagnosed she probably not only didn’t become a better person but actually became kind of worse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

We don't see nearly as much of the Francis household, but Sally especially seemed to have a much better time of it when Don was around.

Henry is a prick frankly. And not in an interesting way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Prince Myshkin posted:

Don't forget Megan's father, who was made the most absurd caricature of a Marxist possible.

I mean he was from Quebec

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

This is a fair response that I had not considered. I suppose the ethos of the show is that ideologues in general are idiots or frauds, the only thing that matters is turning yourself into the perfect career-climbing, money-making neoliberal subject.

If that’s the message you’re taking from freaking Mad Men then I have no idea what to say.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nixon was an opportunistic narcissist desperate for power and was willing to sometimes do good things in that effort. I don’t personally believe that he particularly gave a poo poo about the early wave of the New Right that brought him into power in terms of ideology. Reagan on the other hand was an absolute true believer and willing sock puppet for everything that the conservative establishment had been working toward for decades.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don’t believe that the US Army had yet adapted any type of rotational system that would be used for deployment in Vietnam where once you got through your 12 months you got to go home. It was still operating under the general principle of you’re there for the duration of the conflict baring getting wounded or the military deciding they needed you elsewhere. So Pvt Dick Whitman would likely have been stuck in Korea until 1953 assuming he survived. Lt Don Draper obviously had privileges as an officer and got to go home early for reasons I can’t remember because I haven’t seen the show for a while now.

Now IIRC Dick got there after stalemate set in after the Chinese offensive in the winter of 50/51 petered out and was pushed back so it’s not the worst time to show up but still.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I can’t even remember how the Connie storyline ends so I’m looking forward to being refreshed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m sure it would be an awful idea but Id totally watch a “where are they now” special set ten years after the series ends. You know, whenever that is. Could be in 1974 could be 2020 who are we to say.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bryan Cranston won like 4 emmys in 5 years which is kind of bullshit considering all of the competition he faced.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

spoiler warning: mad men season finales are usually... good.

Name a bad episode period.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I love that the divorce chat is yet another example of "shut the door, have a seat" in this episode. Almost every conversation is. And it is certainly something I remember from my own experiences as Bobby's age. Because you are just so oblivious of whatever your parents were thinking.

And I still think Trudy's line calling for Pete from the bedroom is the funniest line of the series. And then the "goodnight trudy" while she's still out of sight. Like its an I Love Lucy episode.

Pete and Trudy are a better satire of classic TV marriages than Wandavision is.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Can someone remind me what Bettys rape joke was?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Infidelicious posted:

She's weird and Jealous of Sally's talented violinist friend that is sleeping over and accuses Henry of wanting to gently caress her, and suggests they go rape her together and Henry is like "What the Christ, Betty"

Well, I forgot that happened but now I remember. Yikes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

And now smoking is back on the rise among kids because of ecigs because ultimately we’ve learned nothing and as long as the poison tastes good it’s hard to get people to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Man the plot arc of Joan being pressured into sleeping with a prospective client is gonna be a whopper, especially due to her negotiating a partnership out of it