Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ram dass in hell posted:

Cooper's "she was an astronaut" hit me so hard the first time I saw this episode and I can't articulate why.

It's a really powerful line.

Xealot posted:

A culture with no concern for sun damage, healthy diet, exercise, or the dangers of smoking or excessive drinking will also do that, I imagine.

It sounds like Ida Blankenship lived pretty hard in addition to all the historic factors, so being 67 and looking 80 seems…unsurprising.

A weird aside: I’ve been watching a lot of old Twilight Zone episodes recently, and the ages of characters are constantly throwing me. “Meet [such-and-such], age 36,” and they look like they’re pushing 50. I’m in my 30’s, and the characters who look close to my age are supposed to be 25. Part of that’s casting, but a lot of it has to be people in 1960 aging like complete poo poo.

Smoking in particular really ages you and so many people smoked constantly back then

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I actually thought Don was overreacting to the likelihood he would be found out - we've never seen a Draper family member come looking for him, Anna is dead, Betty covered. Even the age thing, would it really be that weird for an ad man to lie about his age and presumably say he's younger than he really is? Pete saying he hadn't been flagged yet seemed to support this idea.

Yeah, I always got the feeling that he'd have a pretty decent chance of passing the background check anyway, but it makes perfect sense for his character that he'd panic hard about even a small chance of being found out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Klowner posted:

It kind of blew me away to hear Don say that the first time. Completely baffling to see the man we saw in season 4 claim that he doesn't care about work—it's his agency! But it does seem to be cyclical with him. Work, relationships, even keeping a journal; nothing seems to hold his interest for very long.

Faye nailed it when she said he only likes the beginning of things

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I don't know why but I keep thinking of Roger as being close to his 60s when I think he's "only" supposed to be late 40s to early 50s in the actual show? Old enough to have served in World War 2, but in 1919 he would have been a kid at most and probably more likely a toddler. You're right that he views the 1919 World Series as symbolic of himself, a rigged game where he hadn't actually done anything to deserve the spoils.

According to a fan wiki I looked at he was born in 1916, so yeah he would have been 2 or 3 years old.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

How does she react? In a way that continues to set her apart from almost every other character, to remind us all that despite a rough start Peggy Olson has grown into a woman confident in herself and firm in her choices. How does she react?

https://i.imgur.com/K4EeOss.mp4
She smiles.

God, I love this moment and the whole scene that leads up to it. Elizabeth Moss puts on a clinic in those final few minutes and that smile as she embarks on a new chapter in her life and You Really Got Me kicks in is just so so satisfying.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sash! posted:

I've always wondered what the repercussions would have been if Lane had just been like "I live in America now" and told the Crown to bother someone else.

If the UK's version of the IRS is anything like our IRS, that would probably be a terrible idea

Xealot posted:

He definitely should've just asked Don, who has more money than he'll ever use and doesn't particularly care about it. But, you know, masculine pride and a stiff upper lip. :britain:

Yeah the real tragedy of Lane's situation is there was the easiest out possible (as well as many other realistic outs like admitting the truth to his wife and reducing their spending a bit to cover the debt) and he simply refused to take it because it would be humiliating to ask. Much more humiliating than being fired for embezzlement.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A thrilling episode where Don and the others steal everything they need to start their rival organization, the ECW.

Lane fires them, they all start chanting EC-DUB! EC-DUB!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The CGC pitch isn’t anywhere near as good but it also has what the client wants. The main thing you should take away from this scene is that clients are stupid assholes.

Bingo. I love the contrast between the two pitches, where Don knows what the customer wants but Peggy has finally learned how to deliver what the client wants. Don, hating most clients, can't ever wrap his mind around this approach.

Although it's pretty great that it ends up being moot because

sure okay posted:

I can only assume the J Walter Thompson pitch had an even bigger bottle on it with smaller, fewer words. Perhaps just "Ketchup" on the bottom.

And the clients all stood up and applauded.

lmao this is exactly what I pictured. Like they just have a giant bottle of Heinz on a poster and the client goes "You gave me exactly what I wanted, bravo! Brilliant! Drinks all around!"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6nDsLx98SI

Aaron Staton is so good in this scene. The little flourish at the end on "because it's my job!" is :discourse:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Hard pressed to identify a single favorite moment from this episode, but this might be it. Their discussion is largely congenial and collaborative, but they're both speaking with the speed and intensity of men who are very mad at each other as Don lays out that - loath as he is to admit it - his presence sells pitches just as much as the work itself, and he knows it. Fantastic performances on top of everything.

Yeah, Don's part is also hilarious, and the cherry on top is watching Dawn reacting to all of this insanity happening right in front of her. I know this episode got mixed reviews at the time it aired but "let's have our characters hopped up on speed" was a great concept for an episode.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

He babbles excitedly, waving to another kid and identifying him as Bobby 2, who is shy, explaining that he's Bobby 5

Is this a little meta winking here by the writers? Are we on our 5th Bobby at this point?

Fake edit - According to google, we're only on Bobby 4

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Another comprehensive and insightful recap...but an episode highlight was glossed over:

The one-two punch of "So Bob Benson's routine got through to Joan?" followed by "...wait, is he even wearing pants right now?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wDpigy4eFE

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

what else is there to do but get high?

This sure is a mood. Great write up, Jerusalem, as always.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kalel posted:

I think we need to start by discussing the most important moment of the episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ_2-KNqh4g

Ultimately, Don shows his true self in this clip. A big baby who expects everyone around him to cater to his every need constantly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I totally forgot all about this Price is Right rear end logo, lmao

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I was waiting two weeks for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIbDfTFyCE

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:discourse: screenshot

I love everything about California Pete

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This show just loving nails ending an episode sometimes and this is one of those times. Great writeup.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's particularly telling how Pete, even at his happiest, acts around Don when Bonnie's there, he's both proud to show her off and terrified that Don's going to "take" her away from him. I think that speaks to an underlying issue with Pete where it's hard for him to get close to people because he's always either thinking,"How can I exploit this person for my own gain?" or "How can I stop this person from exploiting me for THEIR gain, which clearly they MUST be doing, right?", and sometimes both at the same time.

Yeah, Pete is constantly projecting his insecurity which leads to the little mental dance you're describing. He assumes everyone else is just as much of a weasel as he is, but also sometimes they're suckers. Big :umberto: energy going on.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

An office conference room, circa 2009. A grey haired Don Draper is pitching to Domino's executives.

"It's the simplest thing in the world. You admit that your pizza sucks, and you say you're gonna make it better. And then you do. Customers will love it, it's authentic, it's honest, it's raw."

Cut to dawning grins of realization, many hand shakes.

"Draper, you've done it again!"

Everyone jumps up in celebration, freeze frame, credits

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I knew Pete and Trudy were going to wind up in one another's arms again after their united front to the dean back in Time & Life:

Look at those crazy kids. They just work too well together!

For me it was when they danced at Roger's wedding

How can you not love this couple?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There's nothing that sums up the show and that character better than the first time Don has perfect clarity of meaning in life and it results in an all time ad for sugar water.

Also just a quick shout out to the very deliberate phrasing of "I'd like to buy the world a Coke." Not give, buy. Very clever, Don!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Torquemada posted:

And you can mark me down as cynical about Don’s finale. Getting a bunch of kids to sing about Coke on a hillside in California probably did more to kill off the hippy dream than Altamont.

It was filmed on a hilltop in Manziana, Italy :eng101:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think it's possible to view the ending both cynically and as positive for Don. If anything, the most alive we've ever seen Don is when he's in the middle of a really good pitch. One could argue that making one of the greatest commercials of all time for Coca Cola is indeed real personal growth and some measure of emotional fulfillment for him. What that says about Don, well, that's up for the viewer to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

still take issue with how their ending plays out, though. By placing that exchange as the immediate aftermath of Peggy's call with Don, who just said like half a dozen things that trigger "suicide" flags in the viewer's mind, it doesn't let their resolution have room to breathe and stand on its own.

It's pretty funny how everything with her conversation with Don is just instantly forgotten because she's got much bigger poo poo to deal with.