Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I hadn't watched the show in a few years. Its really nice to read these conversations about it because back in the day we just watched then went immediately to gossiping about anything else.

I feel a little bad for Kinsey, he's a fraud and for show only not a racist. But he's not nearly as malevolent and cruel as other characters but I guess their virtue is the virtue of an rear end in a top hat, unafraid of being selfish or cruel. Kinsey is lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. I guess I feel a certain amount of sympathy for people who aren't good at anything. I want them to have a living too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd be willing to bet there's quite a few Indians,Chinese, Aboriginal Australians, Native Americans, and Africans who would disagree.

No doubt but a lot of the time with the brits it was just business more than visceral hatred. Not that there wasn't a lot of that, referring to the Irish as white apes etc etc. That sort of attitude was more useful to instil in the soldiers and lackeys. Their ruling class was more often extremely cold and rational about exploiting ethnic and religious differences. They weren't ignorant, quite the opposite. Its just they didn't really value human life. White working people either but you can't genocide the people at home and have a replacement rate for the armies.

Anyway, that's a bit of a digression from Mad Men. I guess to tie it back in I very much doubt the English are unaware of the effect they are having. It is the effect they want to have. I'd guess the top guys are playing bad cop for the sake of good cop Guy.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Poor Paul. He's deeply insecure so he's always trying to project the image of being established as whatever he thinks is as positive, anti-racist, intellectual, creative, conservationist but he never gets around to actually doing any of it because he should always have been there already. He's sad and petty but he's also so inconsequential. I never got why people disliked him to much though because so many of the other characters are so much worse, they're just more charismatic. He's just a guy who believes his own virtue signalling if I can use that term in a neutral way.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yoshi Wins posted:

...Which is why that "MOO-HAMMAD ALI" that Hamm delivers is so perfect. The contempt and the dismissiveness he conveys are so perfect, so revealing. He dislikes Joe Namath, but he can't stand Ali. Good storytelling.

Hoo-boy. I wrote a lot of words here. I guess I expected that to happen.

He also likes Liston because he thinks he's like Liston, he's quiet and goes about his business. We know he's not like that but its how he like to think of himself. I wonder though if he dislikes Ali so much because he kind of reminds him of Ted Chaough with all the poo poo talking and theatrics.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Back in the day I found the episode kind of confounding. Don being led by his dick isn't new. Don proposing an insane escape to some lady isn't new. Getting engaged and telling everyone feels nuts to me. I felt confident he was going to gently caress things up with Faye but his escape hatch from intimacy is a permanent relationship in the eyes of everyone else? It just didn't feel like Don.

Still doesn't I guess. I know they were bringing Megan more and more into the storyline so they were going to do something with her but I can't help but wonder if the Faye actor wanted out or less hours and the Megan actor didn't so they just adapted. I just find, 'you kept the kids upbeat at Disneyland so marry me' insane.

The rest of it all works. Joan and Peggy laughing about it is perfect. Its just up until this point it doesn't feel like Don has any special connection to Megan, they have sex but its not I love you sex. Its isn't this fun for both of us. What's her favorite flower Don? Eh the french ones. Does she take milk with her coffee? She makes me coffee. He doesn't know her at all. I felt bad for Midge but Don knows way more about her.

It could be he was reaching out for some ideal platonic relationship that consists of I don't know, good with kids, hot and that's it in response to spiritual emptiness. Just didn't feel like it when watching. He had a solid relationship with Faye even if he was of course being a poo poo on the side.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 29, 2021

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

SlipkPIe posted:

haha watching this episode live felt surreal. Like, is Don losing his mind? Is the show? Obviously the hindsight of the next season helps

He absolutely looks like he is when he's proposing. He's bug eyed like someone having a religious vision or a manic episode. The normal Don madness is he knows what he's doing is wrong but he can't seem to stop himself because his vices flatter him whether that's alcohol or affairs.

Offhand I think he's proposed running away to like 3 women by this point, Midge, his kid's teacher and the lady who owned Menkins department store. There might be a fourth I'm forgetting. The fantasy was always totally vague though, escaping all this. This time around what he's proposing has real world consequences that he is capable of foreseeing in detail that he knows he won't be able to walk back. It just didn't seem like the shithead we know.

Jerusalem posted:

Everything about AMC bewilders me. I get wanting to not run wild with money but it seems like every single hit show they make they immediately insist the next season be set inside a single room with only one chair.

There are walking dead episodes that are etched into my mind where characters restate basic positions over and over with camera changes to make it feel like there's momentum. Or the episode is there is a zombie down the well. What oh what will we ever do about the zombie in a well.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Maybe if Midge or Rachel had actually run away with him he would have wound up proposing to them.

He was never going to do that, it was just talking wild poo poo because he was upset

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Peggy jerking off a random at the movies never made sense to me but its a pivotal episode for Roger that I appreciated. I think at this point I had given up on Don and felt pity for Megan. I won't talk about the future outside spoilers its like Roger wakes up after 60 years. He was going to be fun on screen anyway because he's Roger but this is the point where he wants to actually try. Previously he was just privileged and coasting his entire life but post the lsd trip he wants to do this for real. Very cool.

Its probably a time thing but I never got what the younger women see in the older men. Like if his spouse was entirely cynical and just waiting for him to die due to his lifestyle I would get it but Jane seems to have actually loved him at some point despite what must be a 35 year age gap. I'm sure there are winter spring romances that aren't cynical but Roger is very jaded, how is she around that thinking he's a romantic. I just don't get it. I'm pushing 40 in a few years and I can't imagine trying to date someone in their early twenties, it would be a stretch to date someone in their late 20s. You push that out to 30 years and what would they even talk about. Apparently nothing given what they showed us but you marry that? Its more understandable with Don because he's insanely handsome and the age difference is 10-15 years not 30. I know it happened once upon a time but its weird from 2010 onwards

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I don't think I'm posting anything spoilery here but if its the case shoot me a pm and I'll spoiler the whole post

I felt like Roger's whole thing with the military was he signed up because that's what you did at that age and in that circumstance. He's proud of having done his time but there was never any long term future for him there. It was like not using tinder in the worst of the pandemic for the rest of us. You do it, or in our case not do it for the general good but there's a timeline on that where you expect to go back to life as normal. Being in the military or not using tinder is for sad cases in the long run.

I'm being facetious here, you can replace tinder with going to a garden centre without a mask. He had a fortune to inherit and secretaries to have affairs with, of course he wasn't going to hang out saluting people and shining his shoes.

Re Emile I think he's representative of a general trend in media at the time. Doctor Melfi in the sopranos is also clueless and confusing her education for insight right up until someone gives her a peer reviewed study saying Tony is just educating himself on being a better criminal. The thinker is an ineffective man so you have to trust the doers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Wasn't he also the guy who talked about always having a drop gun to plant on a guy who he knew was guilty? Not to make the thread about him.