Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm so glad you're doing this, Jerusalem! I'm fresh off my second or third rewatch, so it's going to be really interesting reading you go through it blind with the whole arc of the thing still pretty clear in my memory. Your Sopranos writeups were top-notch and so far these have been just as good, great work.

Jerusalem posted:

Also I had no goddamn idea that Alison Brie was in this show! For like the first half of New Amsterdam I kept thinking,"She looks really familiar, but I can't remember her name because I keep thinking of Alison Brie instead" until finally I looked it up and welp, it's Alison Brie!

It's so weird, when we started our latest watchthrough my girlfriend said "I didn't remember Pete's wife was also the woman in GLOW" and I was like "No it's not, the one in GLOW is Alison Brie and this is... also Alison Brie."

Escobarbarian posted:

Totally agreed with this. I also think (Jerusalem don’t read this seriously!) that 2 and 3 are probably the weakest seasons - they’re still great, especially 2, but I definitely had somewhat of a sense of it treading water. Then the s3 finale comes and gives the show a huge kick in the rear end and those changes really propel it to all-timer status for me. 6 also has a repetition feel at times but the difference is that it’s 100% intentional in that case imo

This is exactly how I've always seen it as well. Seasons 1-3 feel almost like one big season that's starting to get the slightest bit stale towards the end, and then the changeover to Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce gives it a massive jolt of energy that carries it pretty much all the way to Season 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yoshi Wins posted:

This is the first episode where Freddy Rumsen has a memorable role, so now is a good time to point out that he is played by Joel Murray, younger brother of Bill Murray. Had no idea the first time I watched the series. I think he does a great job with the character.

He does, I really like Freddy and especially his relationship with Peggy. He remains paternalistic and sometimes a bit condescending towards her, and she never stops being grateful to him for giving her her break, but neither also has any disillusions about her success being anything other than her own achievement. He'll always think of her as a dog that plays the piano, but he has no compulsions admitting that she plays it better than him.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 11, 2020

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The video's blocked for me but I'm guessing this is the Heinz Ketchup pitch. I have to say that always falls a bit flat for me for whatever reason. It's the first time Don and Peggy directly compete with each other, and Peggy even wins, but somehow it doesn't feel big enough. Maybe it's because we see much more of the preparation and build-up towards Don's pitch before Ted and Peggy swoop in out of the blue. (Which is probably the point and you're supposed to feel deflated by it, but that emotional beat works for Don's story at that point more than Peggy's.) She has plenty of other great and well-earned moments though, Burger Chef for one (I mean she even steals her neighbour's kid for that pitch).

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

KellHound posted:

Peggy doesn't win that pitch. A big 3rd company does. It's partly why Ted agrees to the merger. Companies keep pitting the tiny companies against each other to see their ideas and then give it to a bigger company

That's Chevrolet, not Heinz, isn't it?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I think this was the first episode of Mad Men I ever saw, I just came across it channel-hopping and was transfixed by the decor in Roger's office.

The secret history of Cooper's balls is like a novel told in two or three throwaway lines across as many episodes, it's the "For sale: baby shoes, never worn" of cable TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
That scene between Joan and Lane is one of my favourites. "Mrs Draper put on a bit of a burlesque"