Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think HRC is supposed to stand for human rights campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Oh he's talking about real world events meaning when the show aired, re: the nomination + election of Obama? Yeah that is some psycho poo poo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

you think betty's desire to "rescue" this obviously talented girl from what she sees as a ruinous future is about jealousy? there are pretty obvious parallels between betty's youth and sandy's, and reasons why betty might be looking back and seeing mistakes she's made and time she's wasted. that's not jealousy, it's regret. don has a similar journey over several episodes in season 7 with the much-maligned diana.

I meant "jealous" as in "she thinks Henry wants to gently caress Sandy." but i do see your point, and it does come full circle at the end of S7 for Betty when she decides to return to school in spite of her prognosis. fine, I hereby deem Sandy Not A Useless Character

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Remember all that stuff I said about Don being adorable with Dr. Rosen? Yeah I meant to type "deplorable." Got dang autocorrect!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Since Jerusalem brought up Ray Abruzzo in part 1, I'd like to shine a light on Linda Cardellini, who plays Sylvia:

quote:

Linda Edna Cardellini is an American actress. In television, she is known for her leading roles in the teen drama Freaks and Geeks, the medical drama ER, the drama thriller Bloodline, and the tragicomedy Dead to Me, the latter of which earned her a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series. ... Her voice work includes the animated series Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, and Sanjay and Craig. In film, Cardellini is best known for her portrayal of Velma Dinkley in Scooby-Doo and its sequel Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, and her supporting roles in Legally Blonde, Brokeback Mountain, Grandma's Boy, Kill The Irishman, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Founder, Green Book, A Simple Favor, and Avengers: Endgame.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Looten Plunder just completed The Top Ten Shows of the Decade thread, go see how Mad Men fared!

sweet thread. your list owns bones!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's extremely cathartic to see Trudy giving Pete that dressing down and finally, FINALLY kicking his rear end to the curb. that scene with the woman banging on their door is horrifying though, makeup did a really good job there

remember the episode last season when Pete defended his infidelity to Don of all people when they went to the gentlemen's club? funny how that all comes around. even funnier that Don, who claimed at the time that if he'd meet Megan first he'd have known not to throw her away, is now being arguably even more brazen than Pete!

(coincidentally, this is also the episode where Don first mentions his upbringing at the whore house!)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Even if you don't think they're on par creatively, it does demonstrate that Peggy seemingly has a better grasp than Don on presenting exactly what a prospective client will want to see in a spot. Timmy wanted his bottle, he wanted the "Ketchup," and Peggy cut to the heart of the matter and made those two elements the thrust of the entire spot. (Clearly she learned her lessons from the last time she crossed paths with Heinz.)

Jerusalem posted:

Season 5, Episode 6 - Far Away Places

Geiger sits smiling, caught up in the spell... until it's over, when he immediately starts complaining: why aren't any of the kids eating beans? Stan quickly points out that one of them literally is, but Geiger isn't listening, instead musing to himself that he did ask for college students.

"I know you did, Raymond," says Peggy, hoping the informality will make them seem more like friends than business associates, and assures him they want him to have everything he wants. But now his smile is far from wistful appreciation, more patriarchal smugness as he informs her that if she wants to give him what he wants, she has to stop writing down what he asks for and figure out what he ACTUALLY wants.

Jerusalem posted:

Timmy is intrigued but a little confused... they're NOT going to show the ketchup? They won't even use the WORD ketchup? Just the brand name?

Admitting that Pete told him he'd be treated to bold work, he admits that he would like to see the HEINZ bottle at least.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

one thing that factors into the perceived quality of the ads is the font choice. "Pass the Heinz" is printed in clear, sharp, black, magazine-style serif font that seems more modern, while "Heinz. The Only Ketchup" is written in blocky, almost sketched lettering. coupled with the photographic images of food in Don's ad versus the sketched and drawn ketchup bottle in Peggy's, I think the ads are deliberately designed to evoke a certain reaction from the audience: Don's looks like it could run in print ads today, whereas Peggy's very much looks of the time. And that's exactly the point. She's got her finger on the pulse of the times, and Don, whether because he's ahead of or behind the times, is not at all keyed in to the zeitgeist.

also, peggy's power creep is disgusting. amc pls fix the meta and nerf this ad goddess in the next update, thanks in advance

kalel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 26, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Paper Lion posted:

man, im so curious how hes gonna react to the big reveal in The Crash. jrus been so (understandably) hard on don this season, will finally having the root of his trauma click into place be enough for him to see him not as selfish and immoral but pathetic and wounded, or will it be another ~20 episodes of vitriol

tbf, season 6 is very frustrating to sit through the first time without having seen the whole picture. you spend five seasons watching someone slowly make progress to becoming a better human being, only for the sixth to result in a near complete regress. maybe j will become a touch more sympathetic to Don after the crash but I think the real rehabilitation will come with Don humbling himself for Peggy's benefit at the end of season 7 part 1.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I meant "rehabilitation" of J's perception of Don, not the character's personal healing. The end of season 6 is a glimmer of hope for Don's growth, but we don't see his journey come to fruition until Don tells Pete at the end of "the strategy" that Peggy's burgerchef idea is the right idea. I think J's going to revel in Don's humbling until that moment; if not then, then at the end of Waterloo.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Don's confession to Megan at the end is heartbreaking. whether what he's saying or what he thinks about himself is actually true or just self-flaggelation, he's a miserable sight. A far cry from the man everyone thinks he is (including the audience; here we see the inverse of the conception of him that exists among people who haven't watched the series as a smooth-talking confident man). the bile he's held inside is spilling out with greater frequency and volume.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

For me it's Brett Gelman sitting naked on a deck chair. it's just so beautiful

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Holy loving poo poo this moment :xd:

there are so many "that moment"-s in this episode, idk how you could choose only one!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think "classist" is a little harsh to describe the table's reaction to herb's wife. people like her exist at every socio economic bracket; she's not evil, she's probably not a bad person, she may even be very nice... but come on. We all have a Mrs. Rennet in our lives

Jerusalem I think you edge much more critically of the characters in general than me but this is a step too far. Annoying people are real, and they're out there! They could even be lurking in this very thread...

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mover posted:

My take on Don is that he loves to cum.

in a few episodes, he laments that "sex is the definition of being close to someone." he says this as he's lying in bed with Betty post-coitus lol.

there is a little bit of truth hiding in Don's ridiculous statement though. one of the side effects of toxic masculinity is that men can sometimes feel like it's only "okay" to express themselves truthfully when they're alone with their female lover—this is what Don is implying when he says sex means being close to someone. according to classic norms, it's only socially acceptable for men to talk about their feelings in public after getting roaring drunk (see the penultimate episode of the series). sadly, we're still fighting this battle in the modern day. one of the reasons the finale is so powerful is that it's truly shocking, especially for male audience members, to watch two men openly weep and embrace each other in public. Don is aware of this at least on a subconscious level, but in his mind he's twisting it into an excuse to be a philandering jackass. "My wife can't give me emotional satisfaction" -> "my wife is making me do this."

we're going to see this play out over the next few episodes with the aftermath of the merger and Don's relationship with sylvia, but I figured I might as well talk about it here because otherwise I'm just going to forget lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

brushwad posted:

I'd never thought about it until now, but there's some metatextual things happening in this season with Megan being on a soap opera that are pretty ... soap-operatic.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 6, Episode 3 - The Collaborators
Written by Jonathan Igla and Matthew Weiner, Directed by Jon Hamm

They do go upstairs to the apartment, drinking coffee and smoking, Megan passing the time and taking her mind off her emotional state by detailing all the upcoming story-lines from To Have and To Have Not to a fascinated Sylvia, who admits to feeling guilty whenever she watches Daytime Television.

But when Megan quietly notes that she had a miscarriage, Sylvia gasps in delight and promises that yes she will watch the show! Except, of course, that Megan isn't talking about schlocky drama, she's talking about real life: she had an actual miscarriage. That's why she was crying, not because of firing the maid, but because she's been holding onto this information for the last two days and been utterly miserable.

I don't think it gets any more meta than this conversation—especially since it was directed by Paré's on-screen husband himself!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's clear that Don is using the domination roleplay as a way to create an environment where he has complete control, as an escape from the ambiguous status quo at "his" agency. but really it's just an expression of the behavior he's always exhibited with his paramours taken to an extreme; he doesn't want them to exist except as extensions of his own desire. he has a recurring need to dominate women, to make them subservient to him—socially, financially, psychologically, sexually—and when he can't fulfill this desire at home, he goes out and gets it from someone else.

quote:

"Move forward," she offers back

a small callback to the advice Don gave Peggy in season 2 during her catatonic episode. here Peggy is implicitly equating their behavior (she has probably internalized some shame about her past)

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 19, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mover posted:

I’ve never gelled with Don/l and Sylvia’s dabbling into the dom/sub stuff even on rewatches.

it's hot as gently caress though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Don draper is a philandering alcoholic deserter who abuses everyone around him and doesn't give a gently caress about his children, but as depressing as his arc has been this season, it can't compare with the disappointment of Peggy becoming a goddamned landlord

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

no rush though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Has the thread discussed the mystery of Bob Benson yet or is it too early in the show?

we're in the middle of season 6 so Bob hasn't really done much yet except brown nose the various partners. in the most recent episode, he helped Joan go to the hospital. Pete hasn't "found out" about him yet.

kalel fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 21, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wild conspiracy theories are fun, especially in a serious drama like mad men. you would expect cheap thrills in a daytime soap, or some kind of stupid mystery box in a neverending prime time drama (lost, house, any number of cancelled-after-one-season outings that the major networks pump out), so it just gets boring because whatever the show comes up with will inevitably be less exciting and more stupid.

In mad men the big game-changing shifts are telegraphed and set up episodes or even seasons in advance, so they feel authentic and part of a larger tapestry. they're usually mundane relative to other TV shows and not as flashy as THIS GUY KILLED THAT GUY or SHE HAS A SECRET MASTER PLAN TO DO ???SOMETHING??? but because it's so muted, the smaller stuff has a chance to stand out.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also a bit of poor judgment to be discussing a theory that involves Megan having to be in California for it to make sense, when she hasn't even left her soap yet

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Doing a quick Google just now to remind myself of when exactly Pete finally gets the dirt on Bob, I found multiple old posts talking about a theory that Bob Benson was the REAL Don Draper; I missed out on that discussion at the time but I have so many questions about it now.

well that's just completely ridiculous

he's the real Bobby draper

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Thinking about how Boardwalk Empire ended perhaps people were right to guess the dumbest possible bullshit at all times

haven't seen it. what's your verdict: is the series worth watching or no?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lady Radia posted:

you should really spoiler poo poo like that, one of the posters j ust said they're considering watching it.

that's tviv for you

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I wrote it so I could play Elden Ring guilt free :lol:

:argh:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"I'm sorry, Ted; but every time we get a car, this place turns into a whorehouse." is one of the funniest scenes in the show to me. The reaction from Ted and Cutler, the jaunty music as he walks to his office.

I enjoy the music choices in this episode, despite op calling "Going out of my head" "on-the-nose"

the most striking is the juxtaposition of Amy's rape of Don with "dream a little dream of me." it's a soft, nostalgic-sounding lullaby that contrasts sharply with the horror on screen. there are many examples of this phenomenon in film—where the tone of the music is the opposite of the tone of the scene—but for some reason the one I always think of is that of Kurosawa's "Drunken Angel" and "Cuckoo Waltz" (spoilers for a 74yo film (that you should really see if you haven't yet (it's Kurosawa ffs!)))

Wikipedia posted:

During filming, Kurosawa's father died. While he was in a sad state, he heard The Cuckoo Waltz playing in the background, and the whimsical music made him even more depressed. Kurosawa decided to use this same effect in the film, at the low point in the life of Matsunaga, when the character realizes that he was being used all along by the crime boss. Kurosawa had the sound crew find the exact recording of The Cuckoo Waltz that he had heard after his father died, and had them play the instrumental beginning of the song repeatedly for the scene in which Matsunaga walks down the street after leaving the crime boss.

kalel fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 25, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Yeah, Don's part is also hilarious, and the cherry on top is watching Dawn reacting to all of this insanity happening right in front of her. I know this episode got mixed reviews at the time it aired but "let's have our characters hopped up on speed" was a great concept for an episode.

I actually didn't believe this when you posted it (I wasn't following the show during its original run) so I read a summary of the reviews on Wikipedia and, wow, people were loving stupid the perspective is probably different when you're watching it for the first time. that being said, I was on board from my first viewing. the payoffs and references to various plot threads were very satisfying. all of the comedy beats landed. the reveal of Don's childhood floored me. of the collection of roughly-once-per-season episodes that experiment with nonlinear narrative, this is unquestionably the best. one of my favorite episodes full stop.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

clearly none of you are band geeks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I've said this before in spoilers but you have to admire the restraint and the storycraft in keeping such an important revelation under wraps for so long. and being so honest and unflattering in the portrayal. it's shocking because of how utterly mundane it plays out. think about every single other sexual assault scene you've ever seen in television: quick cuts, dolly zooms, maybe heightened saturation and other camera tricks to gEt InSiDe ThE cHaRaCtEr'S hEaD. here it just happens, and then it ends, with music fading out, like sound ringing in your ears after waking from a horrible dream, and you just feel a stinging uneasiness as you watch Don smoking alone in that claustrophobic box of a room

also, non sequitur, it's cool that the show finds ways to incorporate the random skills of its cast into the plot. Aaron Staton tap-dancing, Christina Hendricks playing the accordion, January Jones speaking Italian, etc.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

KellHound posted:

I'm rewatching Mad Men and got the the episode where Sally masterbates. Don's reaction is to ask if the friend she did it in front of is a boy or girl. That reaction is a lot more interesting/telling when you know that Don was raped at a similar age.

the interesting thing is that mad men is written in such a way that the writers clearly have room to allude to things in one season and expound on them later without necessarily knowing the exact details at the time of conception. a lot of shows do this and it's useful as a storytelling tool when you need to adapt to the realities of production. But while there's no way to know for sure if this was something they figured out just this season, there are so many tiny moments like the one you described throughout the series that I feel like there's no way Don's character was conceived without this detail in mind

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I uhh.... I played a lot of Elden Ring over the last week+, sorry this took so long to get posted! :sweatdrop:

I didn't even notice

because I too got sucked into elden ring

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Is this a little meta winking here by the writers? Are we on our 5th Bobby at this point?

Fake edit - According to google, we're only on Bobby 4

maybe they had cast another Bobby who had to be replaced before shooting the pilot. this would make the "he went home" line make more sense

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

who the gently caress is father Abraham and why did he have seven sons

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

but anyway, speaking of fathers and sons, it's cool that Don and Roger got to pretend to be decent dads for a day before the reality of their failures hit them in the face. that being said, in their defense, Bobby is a really weird kid, and Ellery is a loser because planet of the apes rules

The forbidden zone was once a paradise!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Almost as brutal as "Ready to get back to work?!" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

When Joan acidly "congratulates" Peggy for letting Don carry her to the deep end of the pool, Peggy is outraged at the age old rumor raising its head once more, savagely whispering back that she never slept with Don... a line that carries a deeper connotation/implication which she only grasps too late: she didn't sleep with anybody to get her role, but they both know that Joan technically did.

Everything with Peggy and Joan in this episode is so loving good, and Peggy's line here in particular is a magnificent bit of writing and plotting. It strikes at the heart of not just their relationship but also their respective experiences with misogyny. And it directly picks up the dangling thread left in the episode where Joan sells her soul to win Jaguar. She's the only one to see Peggy leave, which invites the viewer to compare their paths. Just like Peggy at the end of season 5, Joan has a chance now to go in a different direction on her own terms where she didn't before.

Also, Ted and Cutler's scenes together are so deliciously efficient in giving the viewer everything we need to know about the texture of their relationship. The resigned condescension in Ted's voice when responding to Cutler's bitching and moaning is so funny. ":mad: I'm the world's most expensive babysitter!" ":what: That's the spirit."

also also, love how the Sunkist/ocean spray conflict gets set up here. Pete gets so close to spilling the beans when he asks Roger "where are you going, exactly?" before getting cut off. Ted even complains that nobody read his memo!

kalel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 21, 2022