Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah kens the guy who starred in LA noir, Paul is the one you refered to as dick, and harry's the guy with the glasses.

I didn't comment during the Sopranos rewatch, but I really enjoyed rewatching the show along with your posts. Excellent work. And yeah similar to the first episode of the sopranos mad men early on does have a few moments that are a little on the nose. I think it starts coming together better once the writers find their footing and the viewers are fully able to internalize the 60's setting without being reminded smoking used to be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drat I was planning on watching along, but I'm already half way through season 2. Having the discipline to only watch an episode at a time is something I clearly lack.

Hobo code was pretty goodI was really surprised how much of the things that happened in season six and seven were set up by the first season.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every episode in season four.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's really only one other moment that's bad enough to really stick out outside of season 1 and that's in season 2. After that they seem to keep everything in period without drawing attention

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He really could've stood to be a bit more delicate with the delivery, I guess that's why he's creative and not accounts though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I thought the entire point of these was that nobody changes. pete may be moving to the middle of the country at the end but I don't think he will change his philandering ways. Don's weird sabbaticals just become what he does, he always comes back.

I've seen that take before and it's absolutely insane. look at where don, Peggy, or even harry's at. it's been slow and they've relapsed into prior behavior but every one of them ends up in a totally different place then the first episode

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They got two. They're using it in the table setting in an episode in season 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They both come from families that are (theoretically) loaded though. I don't think they see two hundred bucks the way we do.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah. I find pete one of the most fascinating characters in the show. In so many ways he's the opposite of don. The same way dons upbringing and early life make him do some awful poo poo. Pete's money and class are an absolute noose around his neck. His weird fantasy about being a hunter isn't just about his hosed up view of masculinity but also about being able to avoid all the parties, socializing, and pageantry that was forced on him by his birth name. A return to a simple life.

Edit:. I just realized thinking of the hunter thing pete's got. He sees his ideal self as a badass hunting grizzlys. But the best his true self can manage is buying a rifle used to keep rabbits out of the garden, and even then he's admonished by his wife. I love the writing in this show

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 14, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s no way this was ever going to be a real thing.

My favourite finale theory that never happened was (Jerusalem, this is ok to read because it’s not actually related to anything in the show, but I spoiled it JUUUUST in case) that Don was going to turn out to be D. B. Cooper, the man in 1971 who hijacked an aircraft, stole $200k, parachuted out, and was never found.

It became very obvious they were never gonna do it, but I wanted it so bad. Just end the whole series on dick walking up and buying a plane ticket.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Klowner posted:

I've never heard that before. my first reaction is that it sounds incredibly loving stupid on paper.

I'm pretty sure they're joking.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll have to see where I stand once I get there on rewatch but I feel like Peggy never got her own Hershey or carousel moment. I think they wanted burger chef to be that, but for whatever reason it just never hit me as hard.

it's been a minute but on the Trudy Pete coupling, I'm gonna hard disagree on Trudy manipulating pete into the marriage for her own social gratification. That likely is part of it, but I'm pretty sure she actually likes the dude. If you strip out the grimy pimp parts of his character the two have quite a bit in common, when JFK gets shot they both grieve together, and when pete isn't feeling insecure they seem to get along swell. unfortunately pete is drat near always insecure

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll try and remember to post what I think of the pitch once I get there, but I prefer to watch it with full context

However seeing the first few seconds of the clip made me shudder at the horrible decline in fashion I'll be seeing in the sixth and seventh seasons. Jesus the seventies were a mistake.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ken certainly gains a different perspective of things by the end

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love jerusalem saying macanns guy took dons rejection well giving that the whole series could be read as an eight season play by him for don to make a drat commercial for coke. lol. I wonder how he'll react to the ending?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People messing up Peggy and betty's names are really messing with me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mad men had some really good tips on negotiating salary. If your boss doesn't know how much you get paid you loving lie. Tell home 300 a week and you ain't taking less than 350 for your services. Half the problems with people getting underpaid could be solved by people actually asking for what their worth.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

lurker2006 posted:

When Pete showed his intention of revealing it to Cooper I immediately had the impression that it would be dismissed out of hand, it's not like Don lied about any credentials, you don't sever a money maker for what is essentially having a pen name.

Don didn't even get hired, he just walked in and said he was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's probably worth saying a business run by any other person and pete's plan mighta gone another way. But he happens to work for a japanophile, dedicated Randinite who fully buys into the whole gospel of selfishness.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

potee posted:

I don't remember the whole plotline off the top of my head, but the issue does come back around when Pete tries to sign a defense contractor (I think?) that starts running background checks.

Yeah I didn't wanna start dropping black bars to make jerusalem think something was up. but it comes up when pete has to kill the north american air contract, but more interesting it comes up when they agree to suspend don as partner.

he's looks like he's spoiling for a fight and cooper comes up and says "don don't you think there's a lot of thinks I know about you" or something like that. absolutely chilling he's been keeping that in lock for half a decade. bert copper is nothing if not a savvy business man

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

That's completely wrong.

Don refuses to sign the 3 year employee commitment contract that Hilton wants in S3. Cooper approaches Don in his office alone after one of Don's disappearing binges with the contract and basically tells him he has to sign saying "Would you say I know something about you Don?" and then saying "After all, who's really signing this contract anyways" with a smile on his face.

gently caress, does it not come up at all at the end of season six? I knew I shouldn'tve paused my rewatch, but I don't wanna see lane die again.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bert's honestly got one of the saddest stories in the show. no balls, no family, and no real relationships we see. he dies with only his housekeeper as company. at least he got to see the moon landing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Guys y'know if you wanna start a mad men spoiler thread you can just do it. It's not against the law. Jerusalem has already said he doesn't mind the black bars so I don't see why we shouldn't have one thread that's semi active instead of two threads getting two posts a week.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's still some things we need to be sure to spoil like when the [spoilers]chip n dip[/spoilers] comes back into play in the season six finale. I was blown away. It's when I knew weiner was a master of his craft.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It never should've been this close

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm surprised it made the cut honestly

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jon Hamms mastery of body language is incredibly impressive. How he goes from cool calm and collected don draper to scared shitless out of his element dick Whitman when he arrives in Korea is fantastic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly don't think she's a great actor but she's absolutely perfectly cast. Everyone is. Whoever had the final say in casting deserves a bonus, sopranos, breaking bad, deadwood, they all had a few weak links. Every single mad men actor is loving bringing it every scene

Suzanne Farrel that's the only weak actor

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

potee posted:

Matthew Weiner's son that played Glen was pretty terrible, but they clearly figured that out early enough, and they also struck gold with Kiernan Shipka.

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhh. They we're drat lucky with shipka she grew into such a fine actress. Of only glenn and the five bobbies could say the same

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah my bad I'm pretty trashed cause of this election. I don't think he's gonna be googling random names though

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The previews and the tv guide descriptions were the best thing about watching it when it aired. I swear the season six finales episode description was just "don has a problem".

I sure don't miss all the lovely commercials. I've got the commercial with Christina hendricks hocking booze at me burned into my brain.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd third the suitcase if season four didn't also have the summer man. Probably the best 45 minutes of tv produced.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The simpsons changes writers and producers so the seasons tend to feel more distinct than something like a mad men.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good poo poo as always my dude.

The one thing that always stood out to me about this epidsode, more so than the resolution to peggys pregnancy predicament, was the difference that Pete and Trudy's class afforded them when they confronted their reproduction issues, compare that to the smoking rear end in a top hat who was looking after peggy. Looking in hindsight it's not exactly the same situation, but drat if it isn't startling comparing Trudy seeing no judgment to her saying she used a diaphragm, to peggy being told she'd get pulled off birth control if she "abused" it.

Also curious how did you find bobbie's actress? I dunno why but something about her always rubbed me the wrong way.

Lastly I was pleasantly surprised to see Rachel again, It's the first time where the series goes outta it's way to show that it wasn't gonna just forget about it's past characters just cause they aren't the focus anymore. Too many shows, even prestige dramas, seem to just drop people between seasons so it's nice to see her back.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

In the UK at least this was adopted as the tagline for the entire show and was used on a lot of promotional material.

"It will shock you how much it never happened"

But imagine how perfect that tagline would've been for game of thrones final series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like Barry more than breaking bad, but it doesn't hold a candle to mad men.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ehhhh I'd be careful with trying to extrapolate anything from that, we can read those themes into the work post facto because they're omnipresent in our current lives, but things take quite awhile to actually develop. Weiner wrote the pilot to Mad Men before he started writing on Soprano's for example.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2 corrections employability shouldn't be hyphenated, and it should be burying the lede not burying the lead.

As much as the songs theme fit the show using a contemporary song rather than a period piece sticks out like a sore thumb. It makes the show feel a lot cheaper somehow, like one of those knockoffs people we're talking about earlier.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MightyJoe36 posted:

Duck makes Don look like a good guy.

I was surprised by how much more I empathized with Duck on this watch. There's a strong undercurrent in the show about people dealing with the trauma of war, nearly every character we see who has a severe addiction to alcohol is someone self medicating to deal with it. I don't think it's any coincidence they set this episode on memorial day and directly brought up Don's service.

Duck might be a prick but he was trying real hard to salvage his reputation at Sterling Cooper, and to not gently caress up his familial life. And then all this poo poo comes at him at once. Especially when you see how poo poo dealing with clients really is in season three with Connie, I'm surprised he didn't blow up faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's hardly a problem, leave them to their own devices for a week and you won't have to worry about them again.