Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

The Klowner posted:

Raymond's ad ideas are just wonderful lmao

I’d be a terrible ad man and i get that it’s intended to show the widening gap between the tastes of the two generations but I think the concept is actually kind of cute and would be a hit in a society that still thinks ‘the buck stops here’ is a witty slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

KellHound posted:

The BEST part is Paul probably reads all of Ken's stories not knowing they are Ken's. He is a big sci-fi fan

“Ben Hargrove…why does that name sound so familiar…?”

I like that for as much as a good writer he is supposed to be, his pen-names are objectively terrible.

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Oh also something I meant to ask: what did people think of the gimmick of this episode?

I have to say I wasn't the biggest fan, I could see why they wanted to do it, to really focus in on the ongoing plight of a single day for a character without diluting it by jumping between characters, but I don't know if they necessarily pulled it off. I feel like a gimmick like this kind of needs more one-sided views of interactions so they can be recontextualized later in the episode, but the only thing we really got like that was Don calling Peggy from the phonebooth. It's also not particularly well signposted that we've returned to the same morning, which I guess might have been intentional, but it was so weird having Don get introduced to the idea of Howard Johnson's being a potential client AFTER we'd seen him telling the others earlier in the episode that he was taking Megan there as part of research for the account, and especially weird having him talk about taking Megan there when up till that point we assumed he'd taken her the previous day.

Once she walked out in the same outfit it became obvious, and the repeated dialogue by Roger for the third jump back made it even clearer, but I don't know what the idea was in seemingly trying to obfuscate what was initially happening.

I didn’t mind it. Roger’s portions felt a little bit like a ‘Test Dream’ lite (which was polarizing as a Sopranos episode) and the non-linear timeline might have sought to portray to audiences a similar drug induced (or missing spouse induced) state of confusion and outside their comfort zone mindframe that the characters were going through, as well. But unlike most movies or episodes done this way, there’s no real reveal or payoff that couldn’t have been done with a more conventional timeline, I guess.

It’s weird when a show this grounded decides to do a concept episode out of the blue but I still enjoyed it. If nothing else it keeps things fresh for the audience and the writers on the 5th season of a show.