Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Yeah, television really changed the whole campaign landscape. Eisenhower was the first president to use TV as a medium to reach the voters. IIRC, Kennedy/Nixon was the first televised debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Xealot posted:

Like, I remember seeing episode descriptions for it that just say, "Don has a serious conversation with Betty."

Back when it originally aired on AMC, pretty much every "On the next Mad Men" preview was like this.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The Klowner posted:

That's the correct way to do a preview imo. Otherwise you're just giving too much away and you cheapen the show as a whole

I agree.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

For now though? What an incredible season, what an incredible series, what incredible actors and production values and writing.

What a show.

And what incredible write ups. Keep it up!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Better Call Saul.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Duck makes Don look like a good guy.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I'm not sure what things were actually like the 60s and whether this was just creative license, but I know growing up in the 80s there being a really heavy push about cleaning up after yourself, looking out for the environment etc so I assume that trash just being left around was a far from uncommon thing before then.

Growing up in the 60s myself I can tell you that it was pretty common to see people throwing trash out of their car windows, emptying their car ashtrays on the ground in parking lots, and dumping used motor oil down the sewer.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

he's the money maker, though!

It's been a while, but doesn't he end up not making money in the merger because he was trying to screw his wife out of alimony?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Somehow his ask that Sterling-Cooper produce a TV series with the sport's star player as the leading man - AND that it be aired on all 3 major networks, in color, simultaneously - isn't the craziest part of the bit.

"Can't you see him jet-setting around the world like James Bond, solving crimes and banging broads?"

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The Klowner posted:

now that I've explained the situation, please stop posting about this subject so we can all get back to arguing in spoilers about the best dance in mad men. personally I think it's Peter's jig at the beginning of this season when he thinks he's become head of accounts

I vote for Sal demonstrating his choreography to Kitty, along with her reaction to it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Wait until you see how they treat the reporter who interviews Don after they start their own agency.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Goofballs posted:

Poor Paul. He's deeply insecure so he's always trying to project the image of being established as whatever he thinks is as positive, anti-racist, intellectual, creative, conservationist but he never gets around to actually doing any of it because he should always have been there already. He's sad and petty but he's also so inconsequential. I never got why people disliked him to much though because so many of the other characters are so much worse, they're just more charismatic. He's just a guy who believes his own virtue signalling if I can use that term in a neutral way.

No, he definitely believes he's somehow superior to the others, an unrecognized genius. When they leave to start their own agency, he's actually shocked that they didn't take him with them but took Peggy instead.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The Klowner posted:

Also

There is music playing very quietly and subtly throughout much of this sequence, namely while Don is walking out of the kitchen after Betty leaves, and while he tells her about Adam in their bedroom

The fact that there was music playing in the scene and Jerusalem didn't notice it speaks volumes about the scene.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Schlieren posted:

Johnny Walker Red is atrocious

Maybe, but I'd definitely drink it with Christina Hendricks.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

KellHound posted:

I think he does admire Pete in a professional capacity. Because Pete is the one working the hardest to make this company be successful. And he did say in the New Years drinking with Don outing that Pete has been the friendliest to him.

Which is a hell of a contrast when in a later season he calls him a "grimy little pimp" and beats the crap out of him.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I was not all that surprised. The late night phone calls seemed like more than just an "ex co-worker still friends" kind of thing.

Off the subject, I really felt bad for Peggy when, after all her hard work and getting hired away to be Copy Chief, she ends up right back at SCDP, essentially working for Don and everyone again.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I mentioned earlier in the thread that even without the sex, Don and Roger must have smelled absolutely awful at all times on account of the nonstop drinking and smoking; the response seemed to be that prior to widespread smoking bans, everyone just kind of smelled like that apparently (or at least were around the smell often enough that maybe it just didn't stand out as exceptional); i suppose adding a bit of sex to the mix isn't enough to be remarkable.

It could also just be that betty being betty (early in the show anyway) she just willfully ignored any suspicious smells by filing them away in the same vault she filed all the other obvious red flags away in

There was a scene early in S1 where he's in bed with Midge and she says he stinks, and he makes a comment along the lines of "I thought women like that."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Xealot posted:

I've met plenty of Abes IRL: total firebrands about racial justice topics, but flippantly misogynist or homophobic or transphobic in the next breath. Abe's right about a lot of things, and also is a smug loving blowhard.

This describes most, if not all, of the people I know who describe themselves as "activists."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I did not recognize her at all. On the other hand, Kiernan Shipka has grown up to be a beautiful young woman.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

Watching season 3 for the second time makes this all the more infuriating.

(season 5) When it's Sal and Lee Garner Jr., Don says he should just let Lee gently caress him for the sake of the business. When it's Joan and Herb, "no business is worth this".

The irony of the whole firing Sal thing was that they ended up losing Lucky Strike anyway.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, Betty Francis has gotten "fat". In that she has a slight double-chin and her frame is a little thicker than it once was (I assume that like Peggy in season 1, she is wearing a fat suit/prosthetics). It might be what passed for fat in the 1960s, it's certainly "fat" for what Betty has looked like most of her life, but it's also a state of mind.

Yes I remember live watching the show and thinking she had gotten HUGE. But looking at the screen captures now, I realize that she was not all that big and I was probably comparing it to what she looked like in the previous episodes. Perspective is everything.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The line "I don't think about you at all." comes from an Ayn Rand novel (The Fountainhead). I'm wondering if that's a call back to Season 1 when Cooper told Don to read the book and learn about her.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

The jaguar scene is the most darkly comedic scene in TV history.

I remember when it first ran, the next day Jaguar wrote a letter to the editor (or something like it) about how they were glad the car didn't start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Kind of ironic how Pete always wanted to be Don and now he pretty much is Don at the end of Season 3.