Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sash! posted:

Using one of the examples, the Bourne Identity was a 1980 book. The script was written in 1999. The movie filmed in late 2000. It was supposed to be a September 2001 release. It isn't really an artifact of the Bush era or the post 9/11 world because it is literally the product of a different era.

Plus there's a simple math problem: eight years of Obama simply had more time than four years of Trump. Especially considering one year was basically lost.

It's also just an ameri-centric view in this kind of bizarre detached way that ignores other ways of viewing those time periods and instead views them entirely through the lens of these shows, with hindsight. Just so.

You could pick other shows/movies/books, and have a far different outcome, or you could pick the same ones and have a different outcome.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The Shield is janky as gently caress but I know in my heart that it's the best show of all time, even if my brain thinks that's stupid.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Has the thread discussed the mystery of Bob Benson yet or is it too early in the show?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

All of the wild theories were wrong but still:

He's like another Don (I'm not convinced he actually "got hired" at the agency, I reckon he kinda walked in with a cup of coffee and reminded a secretary that she forgot to add him to the payroll), with a perhaps much darker history, especially with the implied murder of Pete's mother.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Scallop Eyes posted:

On regards to Don, it was almost becoming a tradition of him escaping a hopeless work situation every seaon finale (Duck trying to muscle him out; the SCDP heist-creation; the whole Chevy thing),while his personal life got worse and worse. So this being an inversion of that , with the only bright spot in his life is him triyng to be more open with his kids , feels preety nice.

It's a homage to the end of season 6 of Trailer Park Boys where the boys manage to not go to jail at the end and Mr Lahey starts to confront his alcoholism, which sets up the final season.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 22, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'd love to see Jerusalem posts about Severance but I guess that's too new and unfinished. Have you got any plans for what's next? I would personally love to see Oz but I get that it's not as universally loved as the other influential shows like Sopranos. Also you haven't done Breaking Bad yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Floyd killing prisoners, Don killing his CEO

I thought Floyd's story was about cannibalism.