Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
This is legitimately one of the funniest episodes of the series, even with some of the most shocking moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I knew him first as the President from Red Alert 2.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Great write-up, as usual. One of the big things I felt like the, uh, meeting with Midge was meant to force Don to see is failure - his business is failing and he's, well, flailing, and then he sees a vision of what his future could be. Of course, Don's a rich white dude in 1960s, so he'd really be alright, but I'm not sure that's what he's internalizing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe it'll all work out great or for the best, but it's very telling that Don throws aside Faye in favor of Megan: the woman who makes him feel good as opposed to the woman who was actually good for him. That sucks for Faye, and I suspect it's eventually going to suck for Megan too.

I feel like this reading is spot-on and what the s4 Mad Men thread landed on too. Don had a choice between working hard on himself and being with someone who would push him, or taking the easy way out..

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

People who think Faye was a somehow superior choice to Megan are falling into a trap. not that I necessarily blame them. but it's the same as California. wiener subtly pushes them as cure all's for dons problems. And just like no amount of running away will ever save don, no woman in his life would have saved him either.

Don needs to learn to love and accept himself before he himself can be loved and accepted.

honestly it's masterful writing from Weiner. he's managed to slip the viewer into the same toxic easy answer mindset as don, so much so they don't realize they're in it.

You’re kind of missing the entire point of the dichotomy. It’s not that she’s the solution, it’s that she is symbolic of the kinds of change in himself and his mindset he needs to make. Hence why Megan is the counter example - she’s the easy out, easy pushing away of problems, in that symbolism.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

No I'm absolutely not Faye isn't the kind of change don needs to make, It's what viewers trick themselves into believing he needs. It's the same with California.

Again, and I mean this without trying to sound rude, I think you’re ignoring or rejecting the obvious symbolism. Yes, Faye herself, and indeed any woman like her, is not the kind of change needed, but the introspection she pushed for [i]absolutely[i] is. Don needs to do the hard thing of changing himself, acknowledging his flaws, and internalizing where he’s broken. Instead he picked the easy way out. The show is.. super explicit about this! It’s not a subtle TV show.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

I disagree Putting the onus on someone else "Fixing" you is an toxic way to have a relationship. Having a Psychologist Girlfriend would be just as much of a quick nonfix as having Betty as a Rich society wife, or Megan as a good with children wife. Faye knew jackshit about what Don's actual life was like any insight she had was just as superfluous as Megan knowing that his birth name is Dick.

Faye could not push forward Don towards introspection because Don himself was not in a place that he could have allowed that of himself.

Again, that’s the whole point. That’s why Don picked Megan. I feel like you’re disregarding that Don picked the toxic-woman-who-saves-me act he actually did in favor of revising the record here, and what the show EXPLICITLY states, which is Don picked the easy way out here, rather than what Faye represented

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Everyone will believe their personal profession is the one most maligned because it's the one they have the most specialized knowledge in :v:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Wikipedia says Betty apparently got an A.B. in Anthropology (should I even spoiler this? Lol, can't for the life of me remember what episode that comes up in though. It also says the main character of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel graduated from Bryn Mawr as well, which reminds me that I've always meant to watch that since it's a period piece from a similar time frame.

Has anyone here seen it? How does it compare to Mad Men?

it's very bad

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

"There were twenty of them" is some incredible loving delivery

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I like this episode and also this show thanks for reading :)

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i have not ONCE let the lane-punching-pete gif drop from my computer.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I thought Roger and Sally adventures this episode were adorable. That's all.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Yeah this episode goes a long way to show how much Don has changed and improved, but can’t figure out how to internalize and act on that sort of realization. Far cry from even season 1, let alone the first half of season 4, but definitely no one to look up to. That said, a big part of what I watched the show for at this point was rooting for Don - not his financial or career or whatever success, but becoming a better person like he clearly wants to be. He’s circled it multiple times, but he’s never stepped into being irredeemable yet - at his core he still seems decent.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

it goes without saying but joan and don both basically acknowledging that yeah, they could see being together, but no, they know they have a platonic friendship of respect, really owns in this episode. there's clearly an attraction but much more a deep abiding respect.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i loving love one Michael Ginsberg.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

pentyne posted:

Didn't see it mentioned but a big part of finding Lane's body is none of the cast had scene the corpse make-up, so when they see the body that's their genuine shock at how death-like Harris looked.

Do you have a source on this? This is the first I've heard about it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

You mention that Pete was clearly in another car accident that Trudy calls him out on, but I'm 95% sure she's referencing when Pete got the poo poo kicked out of him by Lane, and that was Pete's excuse at the time.

Great write-up as usual. Couldn't spot any Betty/Peggy mix-ups, but you did say that something was a great question after a cut off sentence - a copy/pasta issue?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

mad men is not a subtle TV show

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I love how loving blunt the show is so saying it's the least subtle thing ever isn't an insult. Just yeah it has lines like "It's not your tooth that's rotten" and the entire Hobo Code episode.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

dolan darpo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

abe's an rear end in a top hat but he means real well, i stan.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i cant even talk about some of my fave abe scenes yet. i love abe.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

kalel posted:

Since Jerusalem brought up Ray Abruzzo in part 1, I'd like to shine a light on Linda Cardellini, who plays Sylvia:

scooby doo mystery incorporated was this weird Incredibly Great piece of media in between the usual scooby doo garbage, it’s awesome she had a part in it

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Great write up, as usual. Some of the comparisons reminded me of a Clickhole quiz around this time, “Which Mad Men character are you?”, which yelled at you to stop trying to be Don Draper. No matter what, your result was “great, you kept trying to be Don Draper, so this is what you got. You’re Pete Campbell”. Clever bit :v:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

who the hell hates season 7? just finished s7e2 on current rewatch and holy moly it's so good

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

This is 100% completely anecdotal, but a lot of fathers in the Mad Men thread at the time remarked that they felt - or heard from others who felt - similar to Don here, that they were expecting to have that "big moment" where their heart exploded with love for kids, but it had to develop independently, and took many years. But I don't know if that was just TVIV being TVIV or what.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

THE KING ORDERED IT!!

episode good, write-up good.

I completely agree Don's decision to unilaterally fire Jaguar was bad, but... at the same time, I kind of get it. Herb is a disgusting excuse of a man. Having to constantly be around him grinning and bearing it must really grate on you eventually. Even so, Joan endured worse than him.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KellHound posted:

He opposed Joan sleeping with Herb part to defend her honor but I think more so because he wanted to win with creative alone. He wanted to get the account "the right way" aka the way where he gets most of the glory.

I think this is a bit of a misread of Don's character. He definitely likes praise and glory, but .. he doesn't care that much about it, compared to the satisfaction of 'getting it right', pulling off an amazing pitch or coming up with the brain genius idea.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

you call bob benson "ben" a lot, is that a fun lil nickname or just a typo?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Bob bunson and Ted chawgh-gh

ted chaogiuasodghwqorngw

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I mean, she probably owns it on a mortgage. It's just being made Copy Chief and Ted looking out for her makes it so she can afford a reasonable mortgage in a relatively bad neighborhood.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don't think it's fair to say Don doesn't give a gently caress about his kids, even though he definitely drops the ball a few times.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I dunno why, but for some reason I just remembered the scene when Don and Ted go to a Japanese restaurant to .. get familiar with the Japanese auto execs :psyduck: hilarious

KellHound posted:

Also, while Peggy is in a lovely neighborhood now, that buildings location means it will rocket in value.

Oh yeah, for sure. I was just contextualizing Peggy is comfortable, just not really rich yet. Important to stay somewhat grounded when you have characters like Roger, Don and Bert :v:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KellHound posted:

Don Draper is DB Cooper was also a wild theory I remember. That and Megan was gonna get killed by Charles Mason
TVIV can be really bad sometimes lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

you should really spoiler poo poo like that, one of the posters j ust said they're considering watching it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

come on, throw that in spoilers

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i strongly feel we havent dwelled enough on HOLY poo poo PEGGY JUST STABBED ABE

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i love abe and the big dumb hole in his stomach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

gently caress this episode is one of my favorites. I can’t imagine another show pulling off the Sally finding out moment as well as Mad Men does, at all, it feels like a cheap shot in ANY other show entering a SECOND season. Here? gently caress. gently caress!

Don and Sally is one of the only healthy relationships in the show, maybe only one that Don has. And he just inadvertently is forced to reckon with the fact he may have completely destroyed it. He isn’t celebrating sally buying his bullshit. He just… is broken. He’s done. For all of Dons awfulness, he loved his kids (and especially Sally), and now she sees him for what he is, and in the VERY worst light possible.

And he’s done. He’s broken.

Hell, I’d drink too.