Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I still think one of the greatest missed opportunities on this show is that the initial McCann merger didn't happen until later. It would have been absolutely amazing to have Sal liaise with their European office so he can work with their senior director of advertising Touko Valio Laaksonen. Seeing Don's reaction to him would have been priceless too. And much less shoehorned than Conrad Hilton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

I know they are depicting an abusive and lovely marriage and Joan's attempt to force herself to be a mother and wife, I just don't think it was handled as well as it could be. I don't really believe Joan would fall for this particular trap for as long as she did, even in the period setting, with everything else we know about her.

He's a handsome man from a good family. And a doctor to boot! That would carry a lot of water *today*, let alone then. Especially for an older woman like Joan, at her age she can't be too choosy. Her past too.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Don and Pete are such gaping holes of need. The big difference is Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore vs Adam Sandler in Punch Drunk Love. In both movies, Adam Sandler is just a loud, violent, horny manchild. In Happy Gilmore, people treat him like he is funny and everybody laughs. In Punch Drunk Love, people treat him like a loving psychopath.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I feel like people are buying into the propaganda of the show when they say Emile emerges as a fully realized character. He's a caricature of a "marxist" and an "effete intellectual" and a "Continental philosopher". You can hear Buckley screaming "QUEER" from the director's chair and the writer's room.

It's the same as the African American presentation the show has earlier, where it is presented first as false consciousness (Paul Kinsey) then as fruit of a poisoned tree (Pete Campbell) then as farce (Rodger) redeemed by Conservative Ubermensch Don Draper being above the rest and simply not seeing race (the best and only way to solve racism in America).

I obliquely mentioned Emile in my earlier spoilers that got a very sad petition to have me thread banned, so I' glad we've finally met the character.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Being *extremely* charitable, that bit reads as an homage to Invisible Man which Wiener absolutely first read after he hate-read Obama's memoir.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

V. Illych L. posted:

i think you're being a little uncharitable regarding don's note that he doesn't want megan to end up like betty - i interpreted that very much as don recognising on some level that the degree of inequality in his relationship with betty was not good and a mistake, though of course he doesn't have the vocabulary to express that. don's trying very hard to be a better husband and hoping that he can do it, and don't trying and failing to be a less hosed up guy is one of the humanising points of the series imo: he has regressions and he makes huge mistakes, but he does try to improve and it seems sincere

this is also why i don't buy the "draper's a villain" line - he's not a particularly good person, but he's not sadistic in the way the more odious characters are and he really does try. he's just not especially good at being good, neither naturally (he's self-centered and insecure by temperament) nor by, well, anything at all in his background

Don is very much a tool of the institution. That's who he is. He makes a point of this in S1 with Midge where he's like, "You can't, I can" with respect to the police.

He's bought into the broader structures of society (for good and for ill). It is more of a tragedy, as in unavoidable fate. He didn't mean to make Betty unhappy. He gave her everything he was supposed to. It's just that what he was supposed to give isn't enough. This gets lampshaded with all the "poor white rich men" that Jerusalem keeps talking about. Don is trying but who gives a poo poo? The results are still garbage. At work, Don grinds on people for failing despite good intentions. He also lets things go because sometimes that's just how things work. On some level he "gets" how this trickles down to his personal life but the translation doesn't always work out very well.