Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Don Draper

Serial Raper

Don Draper

Serial Raper

DON DRAPER

SERIAL RAPER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
You folks know all he is doing is a shot-for-shot on the episodes.

Like, you can do that on your own and just rewatch.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, one of the most racially progressive characters on Mad Men is a huge piece of poo poo. Wait, all the racially progressive characters are.

Hmmm.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

I mean this is Mad Men, every character is human and has their bad moments (don't say "what about Bobby," Bobby is a Baby Boomer). But also I wouldn't exactly call Abe, Dawn or Shirley huge pieces of poo poo

PoCs are presented as fine, if marginalized side characters because the story doesn't care about them. I should have clarified that I meant "members of the main cast" who are all white, because of course in a story set in the '60s the only stories worth telling are white stories with peripheral engagement to PoCs.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Contrasted with . . . ?

Don, who doesn't "see" race?

Rodger, who is openly racist but in a harmless and playful way?

Peggy, who is open to charity towards black people but still thinks they will jack her poo poo?

Betty, fraternizing with the help?

Sure, Paul and Pete's racial progressivism is presented as self-serving. But that's because that is the only way racial justice can be perceived in the show. It's O'Conner's "The Barber".

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 8, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I was making an edit at the same time you were posting.

A major theme of the first and second season is "the birth of the modern woman" coupled with the "apotheosis of HRC" which is derailed by real world events and there remains a revanchist anti-black thread throughout the show because "they" "stole" HRC's moment. Now, Weiner can't have black people be the bad guys in the show, it's the old Atwater speech but also he and his aren't actually that mad at black people because they don't really see them as people. But they *can* show that the kind of people who would support a black person over a more deserving white woman are just loving awful people. And they do. Repeatedly.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Do you believe the stupid poo poo you post?

Do you have anything to add, or is this more of your general zero-content white noise posting?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

I would.

Worth noting, the clearest "Abe is an rear end in a top hat" scene is him denigrating The Modern Woman for daring to compare the plight of women to the plight of African Americans with a "Woman's March".

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
"Bob Benson is the Manchuria candidate" was more egregious than "don draper is a serial killer" and both are more a function of goons being bad at watching tv/terminally Abrams poisoned.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

kalel posted:

haven't seen it. what's your verdict: is the series worth watching or no?

It's a bit like dexter where it has a natural ending that is great, near perfect. but then instead of stopping they kept making more. the show shambles on, zombie like, with no real reason to exist and suffers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Stan is struggling with his repressed homosexuality. Having a one eyed monster on his wall is just good foreshadowing.