Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Re: Pete’s politics

He’s consistently portrayed as the most politically liberal/progressive, within the obviously limited confines of upper-class white New York society.

It's a shameful, shameful day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Happy national Chip and Dip day, Pete!

...a thing like that

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
i really really liked Hell on Wheels

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yay, you made it!

This is one of my absolute favorite episodes of the entire series. Its such a well done denouement of the first half(ish) of the series. Neither Sterling Cooper nor Don and Betty's marriage survived, and the future is now open to a world of possibilities

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sash! posted:

The Main Line is still way up there. Lower Merion is like the fifth highest per capita income location in the country. Virtually every township in the corridor has a household income two to four times the Pennsylvania average.

yeah gently caress the main line. i used to freelance bartend and doing events for main line folks was always the worst. main line brats indeed. entitled, abusive, and terrible tippers

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
what the absolute gently caress did i just watch

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

metachronos posted:

I finally got caught up on this thread after starting it last week. I was initially going to rewatch as well but Jeru's writeups are so good it seems unnecessary. Thank you Jerusalem for all your hard work!

i did the opposite! i started a rewatch when Jeru was starting season 2 and intended to just keep up with them but once i got there, couldn't stop and binged through all of it for like the 4th time

Mover posted:

Same! Was fun though.

oh absolutely—this is definitely my favorite show of all time

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 14, 2021

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yoshi Wins posted:

I really wish the show featured more Dawn. It got criticized for not focusing on civil rights and the black experience in the 60s, and I agree with that in the later seasons. I think it's OK that it takes a backseat in the early seasons, because society was more segregated and white people were more comfortable ignoring black struggles at that time. But in the late 60s, things were changing, which the show acknowledges by starting to feature black employees at ad agencies. Which is good. But Dawn remains a fairly minor character. I think she should have been at least as important as Ginsburg in those final seasons, but probably more important than that. Like, as important as Stan maybe. She's our window into a whole other world.

otoh i'm not sure weiner et al could tell her story well. or cover that world in a meaningful way

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

this...just this.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Beamed posted:

Don grabbing Peggys hand is such a nice, sentimental moment that really underlined this episode. Rather than pretend the previous night didn’t happen, that he didn’t just openly break in front of Peggy, he looks and lets her know.. yeah, I let you in. I won’t pretend this is nothing. It’s deeply affectionate in a platonic way.

Mad Men, at its core, is a platonic love story between Don And Peggy

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

you say that, but one of the most memorable moments in the show (and easily in my top 3 favourites) is when the show does overtly say that through song and dance to Don, and to the viewer by extension

this is easily my favorite scene in the entire show

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

roomtone posted:

your general point is right but i think it's a bit more than 4 years. megan is (mentioned after this episode but i don't think it matters) 26 in season 5, betty i think is supposed to be mid 30's by this point, january jones is just young looking. back then especially, i think the 8 or whatever years between them was significant. betty also had access to higher education - she studied italian at college and speaks it well, so it's not just that either. the environmental thing is really the difference, though.

yeah they're definitely "of the same generation" in that both of them are silents, but betty is definitely more in the middle of the generation whereas megan is almost a boomer. they're almost a decade apart. feels like the difference between someone born in 1985 and 1995. technically the same generation but wildly different in practice

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Rest in piss, Greg.

Seconded.

So, you finally saw the fever dream scene. This episode is (iirc) widely regarded as weak and mainly because of that scene, and it seems that at least on the merits of the scene that you agree.

roomtone posted:

he was odious.

the fever dream in the episode is bad as far as writing goes but it's never truly bothered me because fever dreams actually are that on the nose and ridiculous. i've had ones that directly play on very current anxieties and make me roll my eyes when i wake up. my subconscious is a hack.

yeah this is more allie if the lines of where i am with it. i kind of appreciate it because it is so much like fever dreams i've had before. i think it was a lovely plot device but it was written well

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Fairly certain that Roger is making a joke about Dr Timothy Leary, known proponent of LSD, when he calls it "boring"

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Blood Nightmaster posted:

the only thing I didn't really care for in s6 was Sylvia, looking back. Like Don having another affair made sense from a narrative perspective but she had to be one of the least interesting people he'd been with IMO

honestly it was a complete waste of Linda Cardellini

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

hahahahaha good catch

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mover posted:

Stan’s “of COURSE it’s about suicide, that’s why it’s great” is where I started to like him

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

♪ SEVEN SONS! ♪

and seven sons had faaather abraham

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Sash! posted:

THAT Abraham, the one who's religious tradition is followed by half the planet.

that's the one!

although from what i was able to find (via wikipedia and some links from there) this might be an anachronism, given that the "Father Abraham" song seems to have been written by a Dutch songwriter in the 70s

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Paper Lion posted:

nyc doesnt hold a candle to montreal anyways. its all about the water, baybee. aint makin no good bagel in a fuckin desert

Montreal bagels are better than NYC bagels for like the first 15 minutes after they're made. but they are pretty trash once they cool imo and don't reheat well

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Is there anything better than a heavy Don/Peggy episode? :swoon:

agreed. this is a great ep

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
yeah honestly this is very much a near perfect episode of television as far as i'm concerned.

definitely up there with "The Suitcase"

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
wait Jerusalem did you not take a screencap of "that's a sensitive piece of horseflesh" how dare you

between that and "not great bob" pete definitely gets the best line reads in the show

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Wonder what Sally's up to.

Probably posting on facebook about QAnon or some other boomer bullshit

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kalel posted:

thank you for putting that in spoilers. as soon as I saw that I knew someone was going to quote and comment on it. That being said, it was a pretty famous campaign

Im honestly shocked that Jerusalem didn't inadvertently see all the comments on that video thanking Don Draper for this ad

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God, it's actually real!?! :vince:

yes!!

(game of thrones spoilers in case they need to be spoilers)

Its actually one of the main inspirations George RR Martin used when coming up with the idea for the Red Wedding

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

But there's still two more episodes of Mad Men and a season recap to get done first!

and a series recap, surely

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

yessssss

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
oooooh Jerusalem didn't bring up the thing I thought he was going to bring up.

the worker at the retreat Don attends has a striking resemblance to the girl in the Coke commercial

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

No no, common mistake. It's a Chip 'n' Dip!

we got two

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Trudy: What gift did my Aunt get us, again?
Pete (pointing to other Chip 'n' Dip): A thing like that.

:golfclap:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ulvir posted:

him being 100% into the role as a big brother for Sally is really :kimchi:

the glenn sally bits are fine, it's his interactions with betty that are really off putting

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The look on her face after she hangs up just loving kills me every time :allears:

It's one of my favorite single moments from the entire series, along with "the king ordered it", "not great bob", and...poo poo probably a handful other pete lines and roger's LSD experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sally Draper is going to be the worst kind of boomer come the GW Bush era