Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

"WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI"

if that doesn't work "STEVENS POINT, WI"

thank you for owning an old book and doing this

(these town names are hard to figure out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

nothing on either but it led me to an interesting one, Wissinoming,north branch of frankford creek Pennsylvania, an indian word meaning, where we were frightened. Wisconsin means wild rushing river according to the book so it make just be an expansion on those words.

on Wisconsin rapids the internet says

Prior to the Wisconsin River being dammed, this area held a treacherous stretch of water, which descended 45 feet as it passed through the community. The Indians gave to this place along the river the name of “Ad-dah-wah-gam,” meaning the “Two-sided Rapids,” as the rapids here was divided in two by a great boulder. After the river was dammed, the increase in water level covered most of the rocks and boulders and therefore, rapids, in the area.

on stevens point

Stevens Point was named after George Stevens, who operated a grocery and supply business on the Wisconsin River during the extensive logging of interior Wisconsin. The river was used by logging companies to float logs to market. Loggers on the river found this a convenient stopping point, as the river bends slightly and the operation was from far upstream. The town developed from Stevens's post and was named for him.

very cool name origins!

I love you hugegrossburrito!

Mind doing "Waupaca, Wisconsin"? I've heard it was named after Jon Waupaca but I think that's a lie.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

nothing on either but it led me to an interesting one, Wissinoming,north branch of frankford creek Pennsylvania, an indian word meaning, where we were frightened. Wisconsin means wild rushing river according to the book so it make just be an expansion on those words.

on Wisconsin rapids the internet says

Prior to the Wisconsin River being dammed, this area held a treacherous stretch of water, which descended 45 feet as it passed through the community. The Indians gave to this place along the river the name of “Ad-dah-wah-gam,” meaning the “Two-sided Rapids,” as the rapids here was divided in two by a great boulder. After the river was dammed, the increase in water level covered most of the rocks and boulders and therefore, rapids, in the area.

on stevens point

Stevens Point was named after George Stevens, who operated a grocery and supply business on the Wisconsin River during the extensive logging of interior Wisconsin. The river was used by logging companies to float logs to market. Loggers on the river found this a convenient stopping point, as the river bends slightly and the operation was from far upstream. The town developed from Stevens's post and was named for him.

very cool name origins!

To give a modern touch to this:

Wisconsin Rapids was a booming paper town, but now is filled with meth and a lack of jobs.

Stevens Point is a "college town" of less than 30k people. It's a stopping off/middle point of most people's journey's