Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have always been very curious about Buckatunna, Mississippi and Burnt Corn, Alabama

E:

TeachesOfPeaches posted:

Nope, but Murder is: "creek in Genessee County, New York, so named because the body of a man who was supposed to have been murdered was found in the stream." cool cool
IIRC -kill as a suffix is a Dutch thing that means a creek or marsh or inlet and shows up in a lot of areas of Dutch settlement-as in fishkill, schuykill

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Atmore, AL, Red Level, AL, Axis, AL, and Talisheek, LA.

Oh and Coffeville, AL and Hot Coffee, MS

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was wondering a while about toponyms that ended in -ford and -bridge; basically river crossings. Ford is pretty drat common and bridge isn't incredibly rare. But are there any other places with Ferry or is Harpers the only one?

There is a Millers Ferry, AL that I know of, and I am sure that's not the only one. It's right near somewhere called Crumptonia, which is a weird name.