Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Problem description: I have a curved Samsung monitor (C32F391) connected via DP cable into a GTX 1070. This worked fine until I moved and plugged it back in yesterday. The monitor didn't recognize a signal, so I ran an HDMI cable from my video card to a TV, which displayed the desktop. I then ran the HDMI from the PC to the monitor, and that works, which is currently what I'm using. If I unplug the HDMI, leave the DP cable attached, and shut everything down, then the monitor displays the motherboard screen, I can access the BIOS, and can see the initial Windows loading screen with the circly dots. As soon as Windows loads, the signal is lost. If I plug the HDMI back in to the monitor and PC, the desktop is displayed via HDMI.

Attempted fixes: I expected the normal problem, where, for some reason, the primary display setting shifts to something like the on-board display port, or the HDMI port, so I connected my TV up via HDMI while the monitor was connected via DP. I expected to see both displays and set the monitor as primary, but only the HDMI connection is visible, and getting the system to search for another monitor via Windows display settings doesn't find the DP. I've done a full reboot with everything unplugged and shut off, and just the DP connected. I've changed the NVIDIA 3D Settings power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance". I've tried changing the CSM setting in the BIOS, which was the third suggestion I found via a search, but then it just automatically loads back to the BIOS after every restart and I can't get into Windows. I'm pretty sure this is a software issue, because the display works fine through DP while in BIOS and at Windows loading screen.

Recent changes: I took my computer from my house without power, to my mom's, in the car, and plugged it all up with no problems. I used it to do all the rental stuff on a new place in a different state, then unplugged it, and took it back in the car. Then I put it in a moving truck, drove for two days, took it out, plugged it in, and that is where the problem started.

--

Operating system: Win 10 Home 64bit

System specs: Intel Core i5-4590 @ 3.30Ghz (4 CPUs)
16 GB ram
Win 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) -- I updated to the most recent version after this problem began, with the HDMI cable plugged in, hoping that might kick it away. The issue persists.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 16Gb
Samsung monitor C32F391

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Oh, I also updated the Nvidia drivers to v.27.21.14.5638 around the same time I did all the Windows updates.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Well it turned out it was the cable (that came with the monitor) even though it was functioning up until displaying the desktop. I ordered another cable after a few weeks of nagging suspicion after reading some stuff about pin 20 issues, making sure it was VESA certified, and just plugged it in no problem.