Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

I know I posted a bunch about how Izzy was extremely going to win this fight but even I thought Costa would accomplish, like, something

yea I was in the same boat talking to a coworker. Really thought Costa would pressure hard and early, keep Izzy trapped and on the back foot way more. And he did nothing of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, that's what those numbers were about, Costa missed weight?

No, Izzy's teammate Shane Young had to fight a dude who missed weight by like 5 pounds earlier and got smashed by him and he's mad it's only a 30% purse penalty.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

BlindSite posted:

I can't stop looking at that right titty.

If nobody pointed out the titty I would have never noticed the titty but it's just been the Itty Bitty Izzy Titty show for me for like fifteen minutes now thanks to this thread

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Imagine talking that much poo poo and getting owned that hard

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

If you find a fight like that boring I feel for you dude, jeez

I guess I should say it was boring for what I was expecting. Israel was just too good that Costa couldn't and didn't want to do anything.

Lid posted:

people after the Yoel fight thought he was soft and a coward because Yoel fought like a turtle and Israel didnt engage him because he didnt have to
Israel is the champion, of course he's not going to take unnecessary risks.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, that's what those numbers were about, Costa missed weight?

One of Izzy's teammates Shane Young's opponent Ludovit Klein missed weight by 4 pounds and completely wrecked Young

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Pft i got twice as many titties as Izzy he's not so tough

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

If nobody pointed out the titty I would have never noticed the titty but it's just been the Itty Bitty Izzy Titty show for me for like fifteen minutes now thanks to this thread

People noticed it at weigh ins. There were explanations about what weight cutting does, no idea if that was anything other than fan nonsense

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

Imagine talking that much poo poo and getting owned that hard

I mean the skill level difference is drastic so he probably thought his only chance was to get in his head to get him to overcommit. It played exactly how most thought it would though, costa really only had a punchers chance.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Gynobender wooped all natty's rear end.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
During the fight it was 2-0 Costa for in ring poo poo talking but Izzy scored heavily with the post fight faux-humping

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Who'd izzy call, out afterwards? And can someone explain titty science to me, I always thought it was a roid/cycling thing

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Who'd izzy call, out afterwards? And can someone explain titty science to me, I always thought it was a roid/cycling thing

He said canonier if he beats Whittaker

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Who'd be interested in Adesanya vs Jon Jones?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who'd be interested in Adesanya vs Jon Jones?

Probably Costa right now

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gynecomastia/symptoms-causes/syc-20351793

Hormonal imbalance

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

punk rebel ecks posted:

That fight WAS boring Israel.

The issue isn't you though, it's because all of your opponents are too afraid to engage with him.

You can reverse that and say he doesn't move forward enough. That he can produce turd fights is both his opponents' fault and his, I think. God willing he doesn't have to face too many counter fighters. Imagine a (prime) Machida v Adesanya fight and know boredom just in the ideation.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

I can be genetic but usually it will be developed much younger and I think its actually pretty common. It seems likely PED induced given how it just showed up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Again, I assume EVERYONE in the UFC takes steroids. Some are just better at hiding it than others.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Neurosis posted:

You can reverse that and say he doesn't move forward enough. That he can produce turd fights is both his opponents' fault and his, I think. God willing he doesn't have to face too many counter fighters. Imagine a (prime) Machida v Adesanya fight and know boredom just in the ideation.

Yeah its why styles make fights and why Gastellum was the perfect fighter to take the fight to him. moves well on the entry and throws in bunches which it seems, he's the only middle weight who does.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What the gently caress was Costa going for there

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls

Neurosis posted:

You can reverse that and say he doesn't move forward enough. That he can produce turd fights is both his opponents' fault and his, I think. God willing he doesn't have to face too many counter fighters.

Isreal has been fighting counter fighters throughout his UFC career. That's what the feints are for. He draws out counter shots, and when his opponent overcommits, he tag them. Or he waits for the other fighter to take their finger off the trigger, and then he hits them from the outside. It's been working for him and leads to fights that are slow but not necessarily boring. The Silva fight is a good example.

The reason the Yoel fight was what it was is because Yoel was a counterpuncher who didn't bite on any of the feints. Yoel was waiting till he got hit to throw back, and was planning on going punch for punch. Isreal adjusted and only gave him little leg kicks at range, Yoel didn't adjust to that adjustment and uh just stood there till he lost.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

everyone knows you get extra points if the other guys hits you and you laugh or smile instead of look like it hurt so he wanted to see if he could get a decision based on that alone

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr Interweb posted:

Isreal has been fighting counter fighters throughout his UFC career. That's what the feints are for. He draws out counter shots, and when his opponent overcommits, he tag them. Or he waits for the other fighter to take their finger off the trigger, and then he hits them from the outside. It's been working for him and leads to fights that are slow but not necessarily boring. The Silva fight is a good example.

The reason the Yoel fight was what it was is because Yoel was a counterpuncher who didn't bite on any of the feints. Yoel was waiting till he got hit to throw back, and was planning on going punch for punch. Isreal adjusted and only gave him little leg kicks at range, Yoel didn't adjust to that adjustment and uh just stood there till he lost.

Vettori, Gastelum, Whittaker, Brunson and Tavares are not counter fighters.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Looks like he couldn't figure out how to get inside and as a result was getting picked apart with nasty leg kicks. He tried to taunt izzy to get him to overcommit but that wasn't going to happen and it was only a matter of time until he was finished. Even when he tried to clinch izzy is really good in the clinch also so he easily shrugged it off. It was just a bad match up. I think gastelum with the wrestling threat and boxing is the best style to have a chance against him. I think someone like Usman or Colby would probably have the best chance of beating him if they committed to moving up.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Dr Interweb posted:

I wasn't saying he hadn't faced any to date, and was speaking prospectively. I have no interest in seeing more fights of that nature. The Yoel fight was particularly bad, but even with the others, Israel throwing out single strike counters isn't particularly exciting. Even among those who don't mind those fights, I'm sure most would much rather see the kind of fight Israel would have with someone like Gastelum or Whittaker.

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Vettori, Gastelum, Whittaker, Brunson and Tavares are not counter fighters.

Alright, good point. Two counter fighters in the UFC, one of which was the most boring fight possible. I stand corrected.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dr Interweb posted:

Alright, good point. Two counter fighters in the UFC, one of which was the most boring fight possible. I stand corrected.

Clay Guida vs. Gray Maynard would like a word

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

Clay Guida vs. Gray Maynard would like a word

I have PTSD from watching that fight.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This post fight conference has made me realize that Adesanya has a pretty notable Kiwi accent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I have PTSD from watching that fight.

MMA veteran fans were thankfully innoculated to that by the large number of two man gas out trash fires we had to witness when the sport was younger. A warning lest any of you ever get the idea to rewatch all UFC events from the beginning.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The other fight that traumatised me, I can't remember who it was, but it was a card in Colorado and it was 2 heavyweights, they gassed like 3 minutes into the first round and went the full 15. It was horrific.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

The other fight that traumatised me, I can't remember who it was, but it was a card in Colorado and it was 2 heavyweights, they gassed like 3 minutes into the first round and went the full 15. It was horrific.

Only two heavyweight fights that went 15 minutes in Colorado: Mark Hunt v Ben Rothwell and Travis Browne v Rob Broughton. Which means, I think, that it must certainly have been the second. Iirc Browne was clearly better but just coasted after the first.

Wrong thread for reminiscing but I'm wondering what the worst heavywight fights people remember are? The two that stick out for me are Gonzaga v Jordan (two man gas out where the finish was more a matter of relief at being put out of our misery than excitement) and of course the nonpareil flaming latrine that was Sylvia v Monson, where the 5'9 grappler Monson could get no loving offence going against the 6'8 poo poo golem Sylvia, who did just enough to not lose.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
i have vague, probably drunk memories of mir/cro cop being v bad up to and including the finish, and of course, paleli vs krylov is a staple of trashweight history

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

shizen posted:

Looks like he couldn't figure out how to get inside and as a result was getting picked apart with nasty leg kicks. He tried to taunt izzy to get him to overcommit but that wasn't going to happen and it was only a matter of time until he was finished. Even when he tried to clinch izzy is really good in the clinch also so he easily shrugged it off. It was just a bad match up. I think gastelum with the wrestling threat and boxing is the best style to have a chance against him. I think someone like Usman or Colby would probably have the best chance of beating him if they committed to moving up.

Gastelum also covers ground very quickly and is fearless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah Gastelum was probably the worst style matchup for Izzy at 185 - head movement, feints, combo punching, with grappling underneath.

There aren't any prospects really coming up, either. The best winning streaks outside of the top 5 are Vettori and Brunson, both fairly recent victims of Izzy, and Jotko. Vettori has the better case for a rematch but he's not there yet. Uriah Hall will be up there too with a win over Silva. After them we're into Brendan Allen and Kevin Holland territory. If there's anyone else who has a 3-0 or better streak going I must have overlooked them. This is why I'd be inclined to let Hermansson have a shot asap without another fight - to keep Izzy busy while other contenders can sort out. The only problem is that Cannonier is already booked, and Cannonier should be ahead of him.

The division here really feels like 170 did at around the time of the Dan Hardy contendership. It's not cleaned out, but it's all so tangled that nobody can make a good case so you just give the title shot to the first person who can manage to go 4-0.

What I took away from this fight about Izzy is that he actually can fight off of the front foot when he decides that it's prudent. For much of the second round, once Costa was chewed up enough to start giving ground, Izzy just walked him down and that was all she wrote.