Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fixed the thread tag, if you don't terribly mind.

Also, what's your take on Kimi no Sei/"It's Your Fault" by The Peggies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GoZOCNSIYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Right on.

Also from another show with a good girl voiced by Nao Touyama. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

Mami owns and I'm disappointed we didn't really learn what her deal is yet.
Mami's deal, from what I've watched so far (note: I have not read the manga; please keep me spoiler-free for at least a little while on this, tyvm), is that she was hoping she could make a bigger impact in someone else's life (in this case, Kazuya) and sorta feel like she's capable of affecting people. Like maybe she was kind of a nobody in High School and was hoping to have some impact, some validation that yes, she here and living it up. Was the way she went about it fairly ruthless? Sorta, yes.

Kazuya is also a horny fuckup (even if he's trying to get better about it) and tends to overshare some stuff; like sure, it's understandable to want to start a family as a goal and junk but maybe telling someone you just started dating how many kids you hope to have with them is kinda like "Woah, dude, hold your loving horses there", so that probably-to-most-definitely played some factor in her dumping him. And again, she did have an impact on Kazuya. Hell, she had such an impact on him that it basically led to him getting Chizuru involved with his antics. Mami, however, took this the wrong way: Like the way she parsed it in her head is around the lines of "This loving guy moved on already?"

Or something to that effect, I dunno. Like almost everyone who's been given some spotlight has had some surprisingly interesting background:
  • Kibe is Kazuya's childhood friend and knows that, despite him being a loving dumbass, he's not a completely lost cause + he helps run part of Kazuya's grandma business.
  • Ruka found someone who actually got her heart-beat rate to go into a normal rhythm so, even as gung-ho/pushy as she might be about things, she wants that sort of normalcy in her health + life.
  • Kuri (who's also been friends with Kazuya for almost as long as Kibe) seems like he might go down the abhorred MGTOW kinda poo poo from the comments Kazuya and Kibe made after Ruka exposed him, but he very clearly also wants to make the most out of these few years he has left to do something with his life before he has to go back and take care of the family business + seeing a dork like Kazuya with someone like Chizuru probably also made him feel hella inadequate.
  • Nagomi-grandma refuses to let the fact that she ain't no spring chicken anymore hold her down for long and has been obviously busting her rear end since she was a young adult trying to take care of both her husband's dream and her own son. Plus she clearly likes Chizuru a whole ton herself.
And then there's Chizuru. Chizuru would be a boring-rear end main character in the same vein as an Ippo, a Tsubasa Oozora or characters of the ilk given just her traits (she seems like a textbook case of a standard-as-hell Jump MC), but the way the story portrays her makes her so drat interesting. I'm not gonna go into further details with her because that warrants a post all of its own and I'm still kinda recovering from a sorta sleepless night + at work, but if the characters we've seen so far seem at least a little bit interesting even for the premise, I think there's something more to Mami, but she's keeping her cards close to her chest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally managed to catch up with the last 2 episodes of this: I kinda like that, despite the potentially trite premise (haremy/romcom hijinks), most of the main characters + a good chunk of the side cast as they've been portrayed so far are relatively down-to-earth in they being mostly "lovely people but with relatable flaws/behaviors"

Except Sumi. Sumi is a good girl and needs to be protected and I liked that, despite her being the way she is, she still tries to be a good service provider (even if she is more dud than stud... studette?).

Will probably make a bigger effortpost later, when I'm not tired and sore all over.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think I previously posted something like this, but that's the thing about most of the cast except for someone like Sumi (again, haven't read the manga). Even within the constraints of the dumbass RomCom/Harem shenanigans, everyone sorta has a very relatable background to them/something that makes them way more down to earth than what you'd find in something like, I dunno, Nisekoi or We Can't Study?
  • You know someone like Kazuya. Hell, chances are that you were probably a little like him or have/had someone like him as a close friend, given the amount of people I've read posting how he's just the worst. It takes people literally and metaphorically kicking his rear end (and not just "lol, just shittalking between bros, man") for him to start the process of removing his head offa his rear end, and even then he does relapse (like with that episode where he stalks Chizuru and the handsome boy). His VA (Shun Horie, who also voiced very good boy Linhardt in FE: Three Houses) was good enough to accentuate how sorta pathetic he can be a lot of the time, too.
  • You know someone like Mami. She's someone who, at first sight, seems to be, like, totally the best, you guys. Here in Mexico--and at least parts of Colombia and Ecuador, where I've also heard it-- there's a manner of speech called "de los dientes para afuera", which perfectly encapsulates Mami (the closest English equivalents would be like a bastard child of the phrases "skin deep" and "paying lip-service"), which really works well. Also, probably the 2nd best casting choice of the bunch: Aoi Yuuki absolutely knocked it out of the park when portraying all of Mami's sides.
  • As FilthyImp previously posted, Ruka has that familiar "big dumb energy" most people have as a high-school aged person. Nao Toyama's casting as her was a no-brainer: Even if she has demonstrated a good range with some of her previous voices, if this were the 90's and we were talking about cute girls with a plucky streak as if they were sick Death Metal solos, Nao Toyama is like the James Murphy of cute and plucky girls.
  • I actually see a really good friend of mine in the way Chizuru carries herself. And again, while not usually my favorite type of character, the way Sora Amamiya portrayed all her facets was what ended up gaining me over real fast. While not as varied/with as much range as either of the two previous actresses, Sora Amamiya has really come a long way, and Chizuru is a really good demonstration of that.
As a bonus, I appreciated how the line/whatsapp-type convos the guys had were crude and shittalky in a somewhat realistic way. Like, I've had dumbass convos with friends that were on that ballpark. Kinda in the middle of contemplating if I should just buckle the gently caress up and check the manga or if I should wait for season 2 (especially since it seems likely to be a sooner rather than later type of deal).