Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Planet X posted:

If you cook anything, a thermapen is great. Tells you the temp of the meat inside instantly. Can also be used for cakes and other things that require specific temps or ranges. I use mine all the time and stuff comes out perfect

I used to be big into home brewing. I don't have a Thermapen but I do have a slightly cheaper thermometer from Thermoworks and it helped make many many bottles and kegs of beer and cider over here. If I ever got back into brewing again, I'd probably snag a Thermapen in an instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

My first-gen Honda CR-V. I've been driving that car for literally 20 years now, from Massachusetts to Florida. It's held up to everything, I still have no plans to replace it.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

My first-gen Honda CR-V. I've been driving that car for literally 20 years now, from Massachusetts to Florida. It's held up to everything, I still have no plans to replace it.

I bought an 87 Honda Accord for $250, once. It got like 42mpg on the highway somehow and ran as smoothly as a sewing machine until the water pump detonated. A $75 fix later and it was good as new. No other problems with it EVER. Years later, I ended up selling it back to the person I bought it from for $250 because she wanted a cheap car for her daughter's first one. That thing was a champ and a half.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
https://www.thetileapp.com/en-us/

These loving things changed my life. So long as you can find your wallet, your keys or your phone you can find the other two items.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Chacos. Best hiking sandals ever. Better than most hiking boots or shoes I’ve had. I used mine for 6 weeks out in the deserts and mountains of Utah for my geology field work course. Slick rock, steep mountains. They work for everything and also give you a weird tan line that’s fun to look at in winter. $100 or so and they last forever.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I bought a cheap rice cooker (I think Aroma brand?) at a grocery store in 2006 for my first apartment, and over a decade later, it still makes good rice. I'm sure more expensive ones are nicer and have more options, but that thing is a workhorse for my very basic rice-cooking needs.

Shout-out also to the cheap pizza cutter I bought at the same time, still dutifully cutting pizzas

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Folding hand saw/pruning saw.
https://www.rei.com/product/120670/...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Um, can't seem to get to imgur /images at the moment... but anyways...

If you plan to live in a forest, travel forest roads extensively, get an awesome pruning saw. Collapsible, fits in the pocket, and is my favorite and most used tool for hanging out in the woods.
Notice the double serration. It can cut through a 4" tree in less than a minute. 6" tree may take 3-4 minutes. Trying to get to work or town the day after a wind storm and trees are down? You probably won't need a chain saw, just your pruning saw. Seriously useful tool if you are hanging in a forested area.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

These loving things changed my life. So long as you can find your wallet, your keys or your phone you can find the other two items.

Seconding this. I have ADD and terrible memory issues and it's been worth every penny.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

I am extremely interested in this and will do some research first but I think you just caused me to purchase something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I bought a 15 foot phone charger cable and I love it. There's nowhere in my living room or my bedroom it can't go. It's great for staying in cheap hotel rooms where the outlets might be lacking or in weird places. Only cost me $9.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I have some new balance flip flops that are absurdly comfortable and still going strong after like I don't even remember how long but at least 7 years. The sole is gonna be flat eventually and it will be deeply saddening that they aren't made anymore (I checked a couple years ago because I wanted to get an extra pair).

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

I have memory issues thanks to cancer, so I'm going to check this poo poo out. Thanks!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Rebel Blob posted:

bought an 05 Corolla a couple of years ago and I'm hoping it will hold up like that. It's needed less maintenance than anything else I've driven, by a long shot 🤞

I've been using the same Korg metronome + tuner combo for almost 15 years and it still works perfectly. It must've counted 1 million measures by now, probably years ago.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

bought an 05 Corolla a couple of years ago and I'm hoping it will hold up like that. It's needed less maintenance than anything else I've driven, by a long shot 🤞

I've been using the same Korg metronome + tuner combo for almost 15 years and it still works perfectly. It must've counted 1 million measures by now, probably years ago.

Oh god, I can't tell you how many Korg products are within arm's reach of me right now. I know this isn't a synth discussion but my MS-20 will be with me forever.

e: and their Korg Volca Bass. I don't think enough people have yet realized what a monster that thing secretly is. For an instrument you can pick up used for ~$100, you could do worse

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Catastrophe posted:

e: and their Korg Volca Bass. I don't think enough people have yet realized what a monster that thing secretly is. For an instrument you can pick up used for ~$100, you could do worse

I’ve had bass since they were new but never liked it, extremely limited and meh dry sound. 3part sequencer was cool.
However, the sample and fm (with unofficial firmwares) are hands down the best cheap synth poo poo I’ve ever bought.