Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s a 2 year old thinkpad E480. It black-screened suddenly.

Behavior when plugged in and charging: powering it on, the power button blinks three times and then lights up as if it’s turned on. Fans don’t spin up and no power to lcd. No beeps.

Behaviour when unplugged: the same except the power button doesn’t blink 3 times.

Charging port LED is green, fully charged.

Troubleshooting so far: depressed power button for 30 seconds while powered off to clear residual charge.
Reseated ram, battery and CMOS.
Internals look ok from a superficial inspection. Battery isn’t warped, no excessive dust build-up and no smell of burnt electronics or signs of spills.

Recent changes:
Replaced lost charger with a new Thinkpad branded charger 1 month ago, no issues.

Laptop was getting very warm in a heatwave this summer. showed a max cpu temp of 84 and throttling of the gpu. Got an external cooler and temps went down to the 60s under load, no issues after that.

Prior issues:
Occasional reboots if I carry the laptop awkwardly in one hand- I think a loose connection possibly? Solution: Stopped carrying the laptop like an idiot.

I think I lost the documentation in a move, so if y’all have advice on dealing with Lenovo support I would also be grateful for that. Found it- 4 months past warranty :smith:

Edit: I’m wondering if the fan failed, seeing as it doesn’t spin up and there were previous overheating issues, which could have been due to it slowly dying. Could that stop it from posting?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Edit: I’m wondering if the fan failed, seeing as it doesn’t spin up and there were previous overheating issues, which could have been due to it slowly dying. Could that stop it from posting?

Yeah, it's possible some part of the laptop got too hot and got damaged. And is now unable to POST.

You could try taking some of the RAM out of the laptop to see if that changes anything. A bad RAM stick can also cause failure to POST.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Only one ram stick and I don’t have a spare that’s compatible unfortunately. So had to skip that step.

I think I’m out of troubleshooting steps, so I’ll copy the ssd to an old laptop and take it in to be serviced.