Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs

bookmarked. I used to make flash games back in the day and recently I’ve picked up Game Maker Studio to get back into the hobby. I’ve been remaking an older game of mine lately. will post a video of what I have in a day or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs

blaise rascal posted:

Yay! Best of luck. What kind of game is it?

well it’s very easy at this stage but here’s what I’ve got: https://youtu.be/aNQc-CyybD4

it’s a maze type game where the character moves towards your mouse and you have to keep it from hitting walls. there are obstacles and such along the way and you have to find keys and unlock doors to progress. in this video there are some doors messily laid about but that’s just because I’m trying to make all the assets work at this stage. in a few days I’ll have some proper levels to show and that should give a better idea of what I’m working towards here

Chrs

Been thinking about power ups and obstacles in games. Any tips on how to instantly have the player recognise whether an object is something to collect or avoid?

Chrs

nut posted:

can i make a game that is just writing its the only thing i can do

yo could make a text-based walking simulator

Chrs

blaise rascal posted:

I'd say there're probably multiple correct ways to do this! A carefully-selected color palette can work wonders, but it also helps if the objects make narrative sense (I would expect a spike not to be a powerup, for instance).

In hollow knight, the mask shards are floating white objects with a faint white glow. White and blue seem to be the main colors of powerups in that game (which, notably, is also the color of your life bar in your HUD)

Meanwhile, in ori and the blind forest, the powerups are often yellow balls (but occasionally light blue, as in the energy cells) (and also there are those light green cabbage things)

For comparison's sake, here are some environmental hazards in both games:

So yeah, multiple techniques work here, but the trend seems to be: light glowy things are powerups, spikey dark things are obstacles, and BOTH are more saturated than the background.

I'm curious; is there a specific example you're wondering about?

e: I just realized that binding of isaac breaks the trend of "powerups are bright glowy things", as shown by the following image (the powerup is the heart in the bottom right). Meaning, again, there are many ways to do this

e2: Here are two of my absolute favorite powerups: the coins from donkey kong country, and the strawberries from celeste. Both of these things are so juicy and fun to collect. Not really sure why, but in the celeste case, it helps that the strawberry has an amazing lil animation when you grab it

Thanks this is really useful. I'm currently drawing objects for my game and in my game the enemies can one-hit kill you, so I wanted to make sure the player was always confident that they could collect the power ups the first time they encounter them. I'll post what I have soon.

Fruit and things like that seem to be a common theme so maybe I go with something like that

Chrs

done some more on my game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Jheci5ZEQ

the game has some sound now but the screen recorder I used doesn't seem to pick it up

Chrs

nut posted:

drat did you make all the textures of the floors and especially those trees? I am a huge fan

I should clarify that I can’t take credit for the trees. the trees I got from iStock because I had credits left over from work. everything else is me though

Chrs

I’m in no rush to release my game so I’ll probably spend a long time tinkering with it. I might end up drawing my own trees as you say :)

Chrs

blaise rascal posted:

looking really good! the main mechanic reminds me of the feather from celeste. which is a very good thing! that feather is awesome! i bet your game feels really good to play. and i bet it would control well on mobile, if you ever felt like bothering with that.

what do the red pentagons do? and the yellow down arrow?

Thanks!

The red pentagons are a place holder graphic for an enemy. I actually have the enemy graphic in now. The yellow down arrow shrinks you so that you can go through tight tunnels and later there will be an up arrow which makes you bigger and allows you to break through rocks you couldn't when you were small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrs

https://chrsgr.itch.io/escapedash

I finally published a game guys