Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamn that is bizarre and interesting.

You're getting into some rarified air with these old rifles.

What was the military service like for these? Why weren't they adopted more widely? I'm guessing cost was prohibitive compared to your typical muzzle loader? Who ended up carrying them?

That breech - do you load it with powder and ball like it's a revolver or something (kind of like how you fill the cylinder's chambers?) How do you ram the ball in? Did they ever try a paper cartridge for it? How good is the seal with the barrel - any complaints about fouling spitting back at the user etc?

How about use in the field? Is fouling an issue beyond normal "yep it's a BP gun" poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've read similar stuff about other types of early BP breach loaders, so that tracks. The Dreyse apparently had issue with leakage when brand new. That's one of the grounds that the Brits used to poo poo on it, although all things being equal it was probably a worthwhile trade-of.

Metallic cartridges start making a lot more sense when you think of them as disposable seals for breaches. You can do most of the other fun cartridge poo poo like not carrying loose powder everywhere with paper, but having one shot breach seals really makes for a better user experience.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

McNally posted:

My reference materials don't go into any great details on the Hall and Hall-specific books are both expensive and out of print, so at the moment these aren't questions I have all the answers to.

What are the go-to materials on these guns? Which books etc? I can poke around in a few corners and see what I can dig up

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I don't know what the deal is with ILL ~in these uncertain times~ but worldcat is showing about a dozen copies in libraries across the US, and your better public libraries usually know how to handle ILL.