Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does Rivers rank higher than Romo all time? I know a lot of people don't think Romo is HoF worthy, and I think he's a better QB than Rivers.

Romo had a much shorter career than Rivers, but had a better peak and was way more fun to watch.

But Romo is not getting into the HOF either unless it's as a "contributor" in 50 years for his broadcast career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
He and Matt Ryan will have the same career of had a lot of games, lot of stats, no rings, no hall

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Rivers is not close to a HoFer. The story of the NFL can easily be told without him, he has never done anything of note in the postseason, and is a serial choker. Being the 5th best QB at best in the league in your prime is nice but not HoF

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Matt Ryan is a better player than Philip Rivers. Matt Ryan has repeatedly been let down in huge spots by his teammates, his defense and his coaches meanwhile Philip Rivers has routinely created new and innovative ways to lose games his entire career.

Ishvara
Dec 10, 2009

When I die, I hope to go to Heaven, whatever the Hell that is.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Matt Ryan is a better player than Philip Rivers. Matt Ryan has repeatedly been let down in huge spots by his teammates, his defense and his coaches meanwhile Philip Rivers has routinely created new and innovative ways to lose games his entire career.

Matt Ryan blew a 28-3 lead

Nov 6, 2002

Mostly not his fault.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mostly not his fault.

It's absolutely his fault

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
New question: if Philip Rivers is a hall of famer should Matt Ryan be a hall of famer?

Based solely on comparative merit, ignore the idea that one bad decision doesn't mean you need to make another.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Hes gonna retire top 5 in every important passing statistic. He's going to get in and if this place is still around by then, I look forward to people being mad about it

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
Romo = Ryan = Rivers = Roethlisberger

in that order

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

a neat cape posted:

Hes gonna retire top 5 in every important passing statistic. He's going to get in and if this place is still around by then, I look forward to people being mad about it

I agree with this. At some point, individual statistics matter, even without a Super Bowl ring. Dan Fouts is an example of putting up superb numbers over a career and being inducted to the HoF without a single championship.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

matt ryan won mvp. they will both get in. i ddon't care

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Cavauro posted:

matt ryan won mvp. they will both get in. i ddon't care

The only person I actually care about getting in is Don Coryell because I've been beating that drum way too long.

Rivers and Gates will get in and then no Chargers ever again so whatever

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wins and awards are a matter of specific circumstances, but there's no denying how insanely consistent Rivers was pretty much every single season of his career.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AndrewP posted:

wins and awards are a matter of specific circumstances, but there's no denying how insanely consistent Rivers was pretty much every single season of his career.

Consistently afraid to do a QB sneak.

Nov 6, 2002

Consistently threw 4th quarter interceptions.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Quiet Feet posted:

Rivers belongs in the Vinny Testaverde Hall of "Hey (I Remember that Guy Wasn't he Good?)!"

Rivers had a way better career than Testaverde. I think Rivers should be at least in the discussion and has a good chance of getting in just because of the way the NFL hall of fame works. So on a year with a worse set of guys he can be one of the five who has to get in. But on baseball rules he wouldn't make it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
When Rivers wins the superbowl over Tom Brady this year you all will be I knew he was good. (spoiler, he is not good)

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
if bernie kosar isn't in the hall of fame than rivers definitely isn't getting in *pulls up garbage bag over his head, oozes back down into the sewer*

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does Rivers rank higher than Romo all time? I know a lot of people don't think Romo is HoF worthy, and I think he's a better QB than Rivers.

They both are

e: both are way better than eli manning too, who will get in because rings and nothing else

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Romo probably isn't either. I'm not saying he wasn't a talented guy or what have you but his career does not warrant HoF induction, no.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Romo might get in for his broadcast career in 30 years

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Definitely, he definitely deserves it if he actually won anything ever lol

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Didn't Kurt Warner get in last year?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Didn't Kurt Warner get in last year?

Kurt Warner won one and played in three SBs(probably would have won two without Patriots cheating), was a league and SB MVP of a record setting offense, and was pretty much best in NFL from 99-01. Guys who were at the absolute top of their position for a shorter period of time are more qualified than guys who were good over a long period. That's how I look at it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Rivers was a good QB.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

fartknocker posted:

Rivers was a good QB.

RIP,

Rivers Interceptions Plentiful

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Honestly, if Rivers gets in, I just hope he’d bring his buddy Rick to introduce him

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Rivers overtook Hall of Famer Dan Marino in career passing yards in tonight's game.

Dan Marino, inducted at Canton in 2005 without ever having won a Super Bowl.

Philip Rivers knocking on the door to the HOF.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CocoaNuts posted:

Rivers overtook Hall of Famer Dan Marino in career passing yards in tonight's game.

Dan Marino, inducted at Canton in 2005 without ever having won a Super Bowl.

Philip Rivers knocking on the door to the HOF.

Marino did it with pre-2006 rules. The raw numbers don't matter. He's not that impressive compared to his peers, where Marino was head and shoulders above anyone else.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marino did it with pre-2006 rules. The raw numbers don't matter. He's not that impressive compared to his peers, where Marino was head and shoulders above anyone else.

The raw numbers absolutely matter to the people voting for the hall of fame

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Tell that to all the receivers who had to wait to get in?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Tell that to all the receivers who had to wait to get in?

Receivers were at a logjam because they stupidly only let in like 4 or 5 people a year

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a neat cape posted:

Marino got in because his stats were unworldly compared to his peers which made up for his lack of rings. Rivers does not have the former to make up for this lack of the latter.

I still chuck at poo poo taco, as well.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Marino got in because his stats were unworldly compared to his peers which made up for his lack of rings. Rivers does not have the former to make up for this lack of the latter.

I still chuck at poo poo taco, as well.

He's gonna get in lol

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is my argument against Frank Gore.

Hm.

I seem to have argued against myself.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Phil Rivers will make it in as one of those "eventually" kinda guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Quiet Feet posted:

Phil Rivers will make it in as one of those "eventually" kinda guys

If Rivers gets in without a ring, Romo should get into the hall as well.