Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
I can't believe literally all of society was gaslighting me. They tried to pass Charlie Chaplin off as Hitler, all these years. They even made fake documentaries and made up this whole narrative about Chaplin satirizing Hitler in his films, all so I wouldn't question it.

Well, now I know the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Ah, intelligence agencies. Very expensive for smaller countries, and their effects are a bit subtle compared to just building more military factories. In my experience, their most valuable contribution is the actual intel on the enemy: Knowing what they produce, what their division templates look like, where their fleets are stationed and so on is impossible to get anywhere else, and highly valuable if a bit difficult to quantify.

My usual order for upgrades is Cryptology Deparment first, since that takes a while to take effect and I want to get working on that straight away. Next comes a bit passive defense, followed by intel stuff and then whatever (usually cryptology upgrades).

As for spy operations, Intel networks are quite useful on their own even without any other operations. As a warmongering nation like Germany, building up Collaberation during the early game in countries you inted to capitulate early like Poland and France can save you tons of equipment and manpower later on by indirectly reducing the resistance there much more efficiently than directly placing spies for that purpose. You'll still probably have to do so though as Germany, due to the sheer volume of occupied territory. Stealing blueprints is nice as a way to boost your research but I almost never use it myself.

NGDBSS posted:

Who gets access to Garbo, aka Alaric, aka Juan Pujol García on their spies list? It would be funny for both Britain and Germany to get access but hard to make him both historical and a viable choice for the Germans.

He's a spy for Britain in-game, but has both British and German nationality (helping him blend in better in those countries) and the "Double Agent" trait.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 12, 2020

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Both Hoi3 and Hoi4 (which is what I assume you meant to ask) have nukes, and they work mostly the same way in both games. They do a massive amount of damage to units and buildings, and also makes the target lose national unity/war support. Curiously, it doesn't do any damage to the civilian population in vanilla. The game's timescale isn't really long enough for any radiation-related issues to come up.

It doesn't have much of an impact on relations either, though Japan does have a decision to surrender after getting nuked twice which the AI is scripted to do.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

My heart broke when you mentioned doing the hidden path for the Empire. How could you do that to the poor boy?

This mod does have a truly staggering amount of content. To illustrate: In addition to nearly every country having its own focus tree (including secret paths for some nations), many of those small "irrelevant" countries have interesting internal narratives. Generally, the smaller countries that don't go conquering things left and right have internal mechanics to make things more interesting.

Vedina, the country only described as having "something about a marriage" in the video, is all about grooming the crown princess in your favoured direction - she'll be your leader in the end, but you decide how she turns out. Austurland has a somewhat similar "CYOA" ruler background.

Barrad, the tiny Supremacist (the mod's equivalent to fascism) country south of the riverlands, is a conclave of five unscrupulous magic experts who only occasionally cooperate.

One obscure path requires you to trigger a civil war in Equestria, then play as a breakaway state in the four-way thunderdome in the southeast, win, and then tear down the regime you just built from the inside.

The Great Equestrian War has a notable amount of post-war content in the event of a changeling victory. It's almost all narrative events, but it's pretty compelling. Or you could play as the pony resistance and liberate the country after a long, hard-fought struggle.

And yet, despite all this, the funniest thing is that Griffonstone - The only country in Griffonia to actually exist in the show's canon - has no content at all in the current version of the mod as far as I'm aware.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 23, 2021

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

This is all written to the mod, yes. It has had years of development. The only real lore the show had for Griffonia was the Idol of Boreas being a symbol of unity, then being lost leading to a collapse of the old monarchy. There is one "fanon" country (sort of) in the form of the Lunar Empire, which is similar to an old fan country called the New Lunar Republic (the in-game tag is actually NLR) but it's diverged a fair bit.

Outside of Equestria itself, pretty much everything is unique to the mod, and there's still a third continent (Zebrica, an Africa+Asia analogue) on the way. The most recent update actually includes some bits that will tie into that in Wingbardy's focus tree, but is currently unimplemented. I poked around in the files a bit and found a bunch of commented-out events.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

The mod developers run a fanfic writing contest once a year, in fact. The last one just ended.