Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Minter starting game 5 lol

Did not see that coming but him as opener makes as much sense as anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

the Braves knocked out the Astros three times ('97, '99, '01) but the Astros won back-to-back revenge series in '04 and '05 culminating in that 18th-inning grand slam that was the last the Braves would sniff of the postseason for 5 years, I think that debt is paid

You've made me remember Joey Devine and now I'm really sad.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

elentar posted:

Did not see that coming but him as opener makes as much sense as anything

Roberts seems to stress R/L matchups so opening with a lefty seems like an okay strategy?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Also - is there some corner of the internet or media outlet that is nice to the Astros somewhere that I'm missing?
literally every national tv broadcast that mentions them

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spoeank posted:

I'm glad to see you fly through the stages of grief before the series is over because while it's funny to watch the Dodgers eat poo poo year after year, I'm starting to feel for ya bud. Just get one and get the monkey off your back.
I mean this is the reason 2017 sticks in my craw so much. There is no way not to feel like that was The Year and it was taken by cheating.

Maybe some day I'll be cynical and bitter enough to blame Kershaw for not being as paranoid about signs in Game 5 as Alex Wood was in Game 4.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Dodgers and Astros both staging miraculous comebacks only for the Astros to win the WS again would be insanely funny

And by god that’s what I want to see

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Same, even with the sign stealing.

Also - is there some corner of the internet or media outlet that is nice to the Astros somewhere that I'm missing?

I think people legitimately expect the color commentary of Astros games to be nothing but badmouthing them

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I think people legitimately expect the color commentary of Astros games to be nothing but badmouthing them
False. We expect that IF the commentators are going to make reference to their systematic cheating and it's revelation, they not frame the whole saga as "adversity" the Astros had to "overcome".

They could do this while still being upbeat about the team this year! Say stuff like "the baseball world is angry at the Astros for what they did, and this team is now on a mission to prove they are good and can win without stealing signs"

But that is decidedly not how the conversations on national broadcasts have gone.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Team went to the World Series and was a bad Greinke pull away from winning it all again without sign stealing. Pretty sure they've already proven they're good.

and you have to be watching different broadcasts than I am - they've called the Astros joyless, talk about the dark cloud of cheating and on and on and on.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

Dodgers and Astros both staging miraculous comebacks only for the Astros to win the WS again would be insanely funny

And by god that’s what I want to see

I ... agree with a GA post? :thunk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

I ... agree with a GA post? :thunk:

I've also fallen into agreeing with GA on replay. The endless replays in Texas/OU last week brought me around

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The obvious Yankees-Dodgers matchup turning into the Braves-Astros is pretty funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think calling them a "media darling" is a bit much but there's definitely been an odd little thing where in not wanting to directly reference what the Astros actually did announcers have talked about them in the language of underdogs and adversity. Its been weird and no fun.

Sab0921 posted:

Team went to the World Series and was a bad Greinke pull away from winning it all again without sign stealing. Pretty sure they've already proven they're good.
This is also odd because they definitely cheated outside the narrow window their specific form of cheating was identified. The report clearly stated that.

They're still a talented bunch of guys. But they also cheated to win.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
It didn't say that - and nothing has been identified that they did anything other than the trash can thing which the report said was abandoned in early 2018.

The only other thing is Jomboy and a fake Beltran niece talking about buzzers. The Astros definitely didn't earn the benefit of the doubt, but to me, it's nonsense (however, given their actions in 2017 - I get why you and the rest of the universe think otherwise).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alright I laughed at this

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1317215469233950720?s=20

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sab0921 posted:

It didn't say that - and nothing has been identified that they did anything other than the trash can thing which the report said was abandoned in early 2018.

The only other thing is Jomboy and a fake Beltran niece talking about buzzers. The Astros definitely didn't earn the benefit of the doubt, but to me, it's nonsense (however, given their actions in 2017 - I get why you and the rest of the universe think otherwise).

I don't care about the silly buzzer stuff but unless I'm misremembering it the report clearly said that they continued to cheat beyond what was identified. It just seems silly to suggest that they just stopped cheating after having great success and without being caught. Especially when I'm pretty sure the report says otherwise. They stopped banging on trash cans to signal the hitters. They didn't stop signaling the hitters.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The report said they stopped decoding signs in 2018 because they thought it became ineffective (e.g., teams figured it out and coded their signs)

Relevant language.

However, the Astros’ replay review room
staff continued, at least for part of the 2018 season, to decode signs using the live center
field camera feed, and to transmit the signs to the dugout through in-person
communication. At some point during the 2018 season, the Astros stopped using the replay
review room to decode signs because the players no longer believed it was effective.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is not the defense you may think it is.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well I'm avoiding this thread until the relitigation of whether or not the Astros cheated is over with

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Well I'm avoiding this thread until the relitigation of whether or not the Astros cheated is over with

smh at this inability to overcome adversity

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm torn somewhere very weird between feeling bad because I really like Intruder and the Astros fans here and feel bad I brought it back up, and feeling kind of silly that bawfuls is apparently right and we've all kind of bought into the narrative that its adversity to the Astros and not just holding them accountable for their actions.

I should probably just tap out of baseball discussions for awhile. I'm not actually having any fun and that results in no fun posting.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 16, 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Squall posted:

The Dodgers have won postseason games and even postseason series in the past 15 years.

Yeah that's what the massive payroll does

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm torn somewhere very weird between feeling bad because I really like Intruder and the Astros fans here and feel bad I brought it back up, and feeling kind of silly that bawfuls is apparently right and we've all kind of bought into the narrative that its adversity to the Astros and not just holding them accountable for their actions.

I should probably just tap out of baseball discussions for awhile. I'm not actually having any fun and that results in no fun posting.

It’s not you or bawfuls, it’s a select group of Astrosposters who refuse to accept the reality of what happened and have decided to become full heels and just continually argue in bad faith for some reason.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Massive payroll: enough to get you to Game 7 of the World Series but not enough to win it

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Intruder posted:

You could get a few people together to monitor the thread in real time, figure out what's going on, and have them signal you when it's safe to post.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
In non-Astros news:

https://twitter.com/nathanfenno/status/1317140536726147072

:yikes:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Move over Yankees, you’re about to have company.

poo poo sucks so bad, I would have rather the Rays been swept. If the Astros pull it off, I will be rooting for them to win it all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s something horribly funny about potentially having the only two championships in franchise history both marred by legitimate asterisks for completely different reasons.

It’s some serious monkey’s paw poo poo.

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You could get a few people together to monitor the thread in real time, figure out what's going on, and have them signal you when it's safe to post.

Lmbo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Manfred really taught those Astros a lesson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Gosh if only

This is the first time all season I'm seriously beginning to 'what if' JV's and Yordan's injuries

e: not Osuna's though, gently caress that guy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

Manfred really taught those Astros a lesson.

Its no big deal. Its just a piece of metal.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Intruder posted:

Gosh if only

This is the first time all season I'm seriously beginning to 'what if' JV's and Yordan's injuries

e: not Osuna's though, gently caress that guy

You don’t need to wonder what if. Astros are taking it all.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

seriously though did Kershaw really do that bad last night? Got into the 6th and left the game down 2 runs. He can't control the bullpen.

Maybe my Angels fandom has lowered my expectations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

seriously though did Kershaw really do that bad last night? Got into the 6th and left the game down 2 runs. He can't control the bullpen.

Maybe my Angels fandom has lowered my expectations.

it doesn't matter, if he gives up any runs or anything it's time to own kershaw

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If I was Clayton Kershaw and I didn't want the bullpen to blow up my ERA because of inherited runners I would simply not permit runners on base

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There's probably some angle where if you're chasing Kershaw with runners on base you are like by definition hitting well but still

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Where can you look up inherited runner rate? I'm curious about something

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s on baseball ref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
E: wrong thread