Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
bawfuls check your pms :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1318769333108011008

V:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pekjorkins/status/1318708796915671041?s=21

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Can you all help me out? Months (maybe years?) ago Effectively Wild talked about the guy that pretty much invented modern fielding. As in, first guy to field the ball and throw it in one fluid motion. Anyone remember/know who that is?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I like Kershaw a lot but the hat is very bad. My Cubs World Series 5950 is like 1/10 that bad and I wore that poo poo almost every day for like a year, and now I don't wear it anymore because it's gross

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As someone who watched Craig Biggio's helmet get increasingly dirty over the course of every season, I think it's kinda cool

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Well that went about as well on all fronts as it could have, so I'm looking forward to losing 8-1 tomorrow

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов

He's gonna have to go to Julio to bail him out again and then after Buehler game three on an extra day's rest, May to open game 4? Unless he also goes a couple of high stress innings game 2 to bridge the gap between Gonsolin and Urias. I wouldn't be completely surprised if in an ideal world tomorrow they want 3 from Gonsolin, 2 from May, cross your fingers that the relievers of the moment are on their game in the 6th-7th, and Julio to lock it down the rest of the way. Seems like they want to push the true bullpen game that they're gonna eventually have to run out there to game 4 if they can. Gonsolin just hasn't had a chance to get stretched out since he had so many days off, only pitching twice since September 26, now on 2 days rest lol.

On a bad day they waste all three starters and take the L, using a ton of relievers (or just Alex Wood if you have to).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I have to expect they'd like to save Julio for Game 4 if they can get away with it tomorrow. Hopefully the offense stays hot and they don't burn all 3 in a loss.

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
Regarding Kershaw hat hygiene I have a hunch, unproven, that he's only ever had one postseason hat

2017 hat:

2018 hat:

2019 hat:

2020 hat:

Idk he seems to wear only one to start the year until it gets gross, then he changes more regularly through the season.

But only one postseason hat it seems

that hat has seen such horrors

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the poor clubbie who has to take off the patches every series :gonk:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I would guess Julio starts game 4 as well. Gonsolin and May are just going to have to be reliable tomorrow

Also, gently caress it, new av

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that is a great one, not enough Piazza love these days!

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
This seems to be his hat in his last regular season start this year:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

that is a great one, not enough Piazza love these days!

:hfive: my favorite player growing up for sure (no doubt I'm not alone there)

Signing Mookie was some nice redemption after the way the team handled his and Beltre's situations

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
Piazza was my first love, from the ages of ~7-12 until Fox traded him away for Sheffield, he was hands down my absolute favorite player. He was the Pizza Man to me lol.

Then there were the dark years. Nobody quite as captivating for a long period of time. Brief flashes in the pan. nobody lasted long

And then Clayton came along and stole my heart forever.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fuuuck keeping the expanded playoffs and extra innings rules. Manfred shut up

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm ok with a 16 team playoff if the league(s) expand to 32 teams. gently caress the extra innings rule though. If you have the sense to realize you shouldn't do it in the postseason you shouldn't do it in the regular season (covid notwithstanding)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If they keep the extra innings rule there is 100% going to be a >9 inning perfect game loss and we already have enough meaningless poo poo to argue about

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
have the extra innings rule be AL only

boroda
Jul 26, 2007

нет усов
Return to the 9 game World Series, last featured 1919 - 1921

NO OFF DAYS

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My whole thing about the new playoff format is, OK it’s fine for this bizarre season I guess but for the most part the playoffs are iffy enough as it is. Any team that gets in can win it all. It’s a matter of who has players getting hot at the right time.

You build a great team if possible, to jockey for position and hopefully get a high seeding and avoid the single-elimination wild card game, and hopefully to get last ups more often that your opponent because you have home field advantage, but still, it’s a crapshoot.

Now if they are going to allow half the teams in the league into the playoffs and have all these short series at the beginning, why bother trying to build a team to do better than say, 90-72, 88-74?

Unless, that’s exactly what MLB wants?!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MrMojok posted:

Now if they are going to allow half the teams in the league into the playoffs and have all these short series at the beginning, why bother trying to build a team to do better than say, 90-72, 88-74?

Unless, that’s exactly what MLB wants?!

This is exactly what they want, and why they want it.

It might end up helping some mid-tier free agents, but would absolutely crater the top end. Everyone agrees the playoffs are a crapshoot, why pay for wins 85 to 100 when there’s no added value?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Big brained owners expanding the playoffs so they don't have to spend as much money on payroll, ensuring that fans have no reason to get invested in the insanely long 162-game regular season that defines the sport

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The two best teams made the World Series though, and one of them just gave out the biggest contract in baseball history.

I'm not a fan of expanded playoffs either but I'm not convinced it would destroy free agency somehow.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Expanded playoffs for a 162 game season is garbage

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing with the expanded playoffs that I feel like no one is discussing is they only "worked" this year because of the no days off. And that only "worked" because of the neutral/full time home field. And that only "worked" because of covid.

In a season where there are crowds and making the playoffs means making a ton of money there's no way teams want to give up that to the neutral home fields. And without that a 16 team playoff even at 3-5-7-7 game rounds like this season will either take us well into November or require a shortened season.

That's why I'm not sure what comes of the playoffs. It doesn't seem fully thought out and I'm not exactly sure where the business positions will lie. Yes, the commissioner's office wants it because it means higher ratings. Yes, owners might want it in general since it lessens the need to spend. But that's a big reason for players to oppose it, as is the no off days. And when it comes down to "owners, do you want to lose home field playoff revenue?" I think it gets more complicated. And the commish serves at the will of the owners.

Also 16 team playoffs suck because more teams make it who don't and it makes a long season a giant run on a treadmill.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Yeah just because the two best teams made the World Series doesn’t mean the process isn’t flawed, or completely at odds with baseball’s history of valuing the importance of winning the pennant or division outright.

The owners want more teams in the playoffs for TV money. Giving mediocre teams an excuse to not spend big in free agency is just icing on the cake.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

having a witcher on your team seems kinda unfair tbh

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Three batter rule is stupid, extra innings rule is stupid, and the expanded playoffs are stupid.

I genuinely think MLB wants to have office excitement around brackets a la March Madness and that's why they're doing it. They're just stupid and copying something else.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

A best of three that division winners have to take part in is extremely stupid for sure

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

The two best teams made the World Series though, and one of them just gave out the biggest contract in baseball history.

I'm not a fan of expanded playoffs either but I'm not convinced it would destroy free agency somehow.
It's not going to change things overnight but expanding the postseason to include half the league will absolutely reduce the incentive to build superteams and put downward pressure on FA salaries in the long run

But "fall rear end backwards into the last postseason spot and then get hot" is the SF formula so I wouldn't expect their fans to object.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Intruder posted:

A best of three that division winners have to take part in is extremely stupid for sure

Ya expanded playoffs are dumb but if they are going to do it they should make the series 5/7/7/7.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

It's not going to change things overnight but expanding the postseason to include half the league will absolutely reduce the incentive to build superteams and put downward pressure on FA salaries in the long run

But "fall rear end backwards into the last postseason spot and then get hot" is the SF formula so I wouldn't expect their fans to object.

The Giants won the NL West in 2010 and 2012

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah there's zero incentive to win your division in the current expanded format. You get zero edge besides better seeding, but the thing is this isn't basketball and seeding isn't the be all end all because better teams do not consistently beat worse teams: the playoffs are just as much of a crapshot about who is hot. So if anything winning your division could actually gently caress you over because it puts you against a team that has suddenly gotten hot in the last week and roared into third place in their division for a playoff spot. And then you get steamrolled.

I get that Manfred can only see dollar signs but this format is garbage.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint to the con expanded playoffs argument:

Right now, MLB has swung pretty extreme towards the "all in or all out" approach. The handful of super wealthy teams are pretty consistently all in, but the rest of the league basically decides either in preseason or by May if they're going to try for a playoff spot, or bail on the season. Just muddling through a .500 season is no longer really a valid way to run a team: if you decide you're not playoff material, you tank, and tank hard. While this is a prudent approach considering the way the current CBA works -- everyone's figured out that a top quality farm system is the best way to win a WS -- I personally don't think it is good for the game/league as a whole long-term when as many as half of the league's teams are actively tanking every year.

If you expand the number of playoff spots, you give more teams a chance at that lottery, and incentivize more teams to spend in the near term. This should reduce the incentive to go all in with the tank, and should make those mid-career above-average players who are getting so screwed right now much more attractive.

edit -- I'm more or less ambivalent to the playoff format, but I am in favor of anything that encourages less tanking

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also front loading the playoffs with a short series is really annoying if a 105 win team is now two hung sliders from gone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Also front loading the playoffs with a short series is really annoying if a 105 win team is now two hung sliders from gone.

Tbh when you put it that way it's really funny and sort of rules.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I don't mind the idea of expanded playoffs period, I just dislike this current format which offers functionally zero incentive to winning your division. The best team in baseball and the worst-record playoff team both get dumped into a best of three series in the first round, so why sweat winning the division if you can comfortably grab one of the five billion WC spots? If the format was tweaked so that, for example, division winners got a bye in the first round and the wild cards had to weed themselves down a bit before playing the division winners, then fine whatever have fun expanding the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bip Roberts posted:

Owners won’t stop swinging till the golden goose is paste.

The downward salary pressure is the goal here- tv money is the cherry on top. We’re talking billions of dollars compared to a few hundred million on top for the other round. In 5-10 years when nobody except the degenerates cares about the regular season (Which leads to less investment in the post-season, which leads to...) that’ll be the next guys problem.