Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Well at least the Twins are a constant in this chaotic world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

rickiep00h posted:

I'm glad it's not just the Twins fans bemoaning this bullshit playoff format.

The Twins had home field advantage (such as it is right now but they didn't have to travel) against a sub-.500 team and didn't win a game. What format tweaks can you possibly want?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yes I grant that the Astros shouldn't be in the playoffs and I do not want this format to continue, to be clear. I am just specifically saying the Twins shouldn't be complaining because the format put them in the best possible situation within that format.

e: Like under another format they'd have been playing, what, the Indians? Still going out I'm guessing (although I guess that series would be a curse-off)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Dear Baseball Goons,

I'm glad everything is ok so far and my fingers are crossed for you and your family

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's extremely reasonable to hate the Rays for that stadium but otherwise I see no reason to dislike them personally

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Right and as a fan would you rather be the team that would never, ever let a Jeter or Rivera walk for money or a team that if they developed one you knew for certain they'd be playing somewhere else just as soon as their cheap years ran out or sooner

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

23 year old with 12.1 IP at the major league level

Not the first Luis Garcia that comes up when you google

Speaking of the first x that comes up when you google I laughed when I learned the name of the reliever who gave up Correa's walkoff

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
No I just find it kind of amazing/funny that there are now two Nick Andersons who had bad outings against a Houston team in the playoffs

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Charlie Morton is currently trending because Astros fans are wishing very minor disappointments on him

https://twitter.com/DelRaz09/status/1317521336051314689

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be fair if we had won they'd have had to see us play a world series in their stadium so I can give them this one

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Relegate the Rays imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Real talk about 3rd time through order stuff. Not to go full old man, but pitchers went 3 times through all the time back in the day and no one gave a poo poo. Was there a 3rd order effect 20,30,40 years ago and troglydyte management never realized it, or have hitters gotten exceptionally better in the last 10 years or so?

I don't really think it's troglodyte for people not to have realized it since they wouldn't have had access to the data as easily, but there's a lot of poo poo that was done back in the day that analytics came along and said "actually that's wrong." This article uses data from 1999-2002 to show a third time through the order penalty so it didn't just pop up in the last 10 years either. Interestingly it also says this about back in the day pitching decisions:

quote:

Another thing you can clearly see is that most pitchers make it through the order at least three times, which is actually something of a modern trend. In the past, starting pitchers pitched many more complete games, but they were also taken out earlier when they were getting shelled.

so your initial assumption might not even be correct