Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm obligated to root for me team and all but I'm secretly rooting for the Marlins for the lols and to justify that cap I bought a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really hate the idea of the Astros winning in part on account of this whole thing being silly but also because like the Astros sneaking into the playoffs with a below .500 record while their whole offense "slumped" and then chaos balling a win so the fanbase and players can pretend that somehow vindicates them would be kind of hilariously pathetic and make me feel a lot better as a Yankee fan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is all true but it would also make a whole lotta people mad, which is funny. :shrug:

I think the key for me is that like I might be a little salty and feel weird about that but then Correa or Bregman would say something obnoxious as gently caress and it would all feel right again. I have faith.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You guys started this and I will not accept the "maybe a second blow to the head will fix things" strategy. Nope, sorry. Not rooting for the Cubs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its the fundamental problem with 16 team playoff formats. A bad team sneaking in and going over a team that played better all season in a short series.

It just happened to happen immediately, with the perfect team who were below .500 in a 3 game series, so its like super super focused.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yes I grant that the Astros shouldn't be in the playoffs and I do not want this format to continue, to be clear. I am just specifically saying the Twins shouldn't be complaining because the format put them in the best possible situation within that format.

I mean... they got to bat last. They didn't even like get to stay at home and keep their routine, did they? Isn't everyone in the bubble?

It might be the one advantage they could have in a broken format but that's not really saying a lot.

Obviously poo poo happens. Baseball is chaotic. Short series do this. Twins are cursed. But like, its just the absolutely perfect scenario for people to be salty about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Johnny Bravo posted:

Nah, first round is actual home field advantage in home ballparks

Yeah but I mean if they're staying in hotels and not keeping their routine and maybe not being with family or the people they're close with then we're basically talking a more comfortable clubhouse and more used to the field dimensions. I dunno. I tend to think home field advantage is kind of overrated in and of itself but it seems diminished for whatever psychological affect it has.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its weird because the answer to "What do you say now?" is clearly "That you're a below .500 team that snuck into the playoffs because of a stupid playoff system, got a higher seed because of a stupid playoff system, and then won a series in 2 games because of a stupid playoff system."

Then again assholes be assholes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now I'm genuinely tempted to buy a Mookie Betts Red Sox Funko Pop figure. I'm not sure why but for $4 I'm sure I can come up with something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The fun part about the Astros is its barely even about the cheating. Its about the smugness, the misogyny, the rear end in a top hat behavior, the complete lack of consequences, the defamation of reporters, the celebration of domestic abuse, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You know Bauer's just busy yelling at his teammates for being failures and not taking advantage of his stellar performance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I am so happy the team I've owned a hat for for years and am not in any way bandwagoning no sir bob won!

Also that Schwarber lost. Moron.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Derek Jeter and Don Mattingly fix the world my inner child is gonna be real smug.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

I would like to note that the Astros started having success the second Trump and all 40 of his favorite aides were diagnosed with COVID

This team could be the anti-2016 Cubs, ushering him out instead of ushering him in

Ok, you're veering back into "Patriots Fan" territory here. Just a head's up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cheaters. Check.
Proud misogynists. Check.
"Fake News!" Check.
Smug antagonistic victim complex. Check.
Racism. Check.
A complete lack of consequences. Check.
Backing into success despite losing more than winning. Check.

I dunno.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

This is deeply wrong but I think I'll take it.

Yeah, we're definitely the Biden here. We might be the better option but you don't gotta feel good about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jeb Bush? Someone sad and kinda pathetic who failed to stop the orange monster even though they really should have. I guess they could be Hillary? I dunno.

Maybe they're just the collective disappointment of reality.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it landed. I assume they know how far away the place it landed is from home plate and 100 feet is a big difference.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah that seems like a huge financial loser and I doubt a lot of teams would be happy about giving up a lot of the aspects of home field advantage as well as the revenue of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I greatly dislike Altuve but that was gross and weird and stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People giving Altuve the Shoeless Joe narrative DOES entertain me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

Didn't it turn out Shoeless Joe did in fact get paid off

As far as I know he received money, yeah. His defenders claim he either didn't know what it was for or that rejected it and the mob forced it on him or he just took it and played well anyway. Hence the "narrative" it seems like people are trying to form around Altuve that he was complicit but personally innocent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Altuve is a midget

Its good of you to counter if anyone might be feeling like getting on the Braves bandwagon and forgetting what the fanbase is like without constant racist chants.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Squall posted:

all fanbases are bad, op

This is a fair and valid point.

But also, you know... not all fanbases have synchronized racist chants with team provided props and musical accompaniment. That's unfortunate.

But then again my fanbase has Rudy Giuliani so glass houses.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

more falafel please posted:

They definitely weren't trying to get away from it when they built their new ballpark

They did seem to pull back a little last October when the fans targeted a Native American pitcher and it caused a stir. I was skeptical if that would stick but then Covid happened so who knows?

Of course since then we've had the Redskins change their name but not and other teams "think about" doing things so who knows where we're at?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Part of me wants the Yanks to lose so I can ditch out on the whole thing. Especially since its now "fun" to toss around slurs in the baseball threads.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

Imagine being shocked that one of the biggest metro areas in the country votes blue

Look at all of this red on my map and tell me how its possible everyone's not a Republican!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm cool with Greinke. He wasn't one of the cheaters and Astros fans are weirdly mean to him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well like "heel" implies acting. So like some people "turn heel" and lean in. But some people are just assholes. But then like any trolling or "ironic" act do it long enough or hard enough and art becomes reality.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And thus returns my "please don't sign Trevor Bauer" watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dear Baseball Goons,

Yesterday I was kind of an antagonistic dick. I'm sorry. I was going through some poo poo. My mother was headed into surgery this morning and without realizing it my anxiety had worked itself up so much that I found myself crying while saying mean stuff about the Astros. I apologized in the game thread and everyone was so kind and understanding that it really helped me in a way I needed. I'm happy to say that she's out of surgery and doing well. Surgery turned out to not have to be as invasive as thought. Things sound really good. Knock on wood.

I want to thank you again for being so good and decent in a moment I needed it and might not have deserved it. Maybe this is silly. Maybe this is self indulgent. I apologize for it being off topic. But my wonderful mom once told me you should never pass on a chance to tell someone what they meant to you or thank them for what they did for you. You guys really helped me in a way I can't really fully verbalize. And again, I'm sorry i lost myself in the anxiety.

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Yankees/status/1314594254807879681

too bad a whole generation only knew him through whitey wackers
This was one of my mom's favorite players and really hosed with me when it crossed the screen as I was watchingESPN to distract myself. Not looking forward to telling her when she gets home. Knock on wood.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rays real good.

Series was great. Helped me out a lot. I had a lot of fun and am bummed but not upset.

Pulling HARD for Tampa Bay to keep taking down their villains. I might be more invested in Tampa/Houston then I was in this series.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrMidnight posted:

What's the reason for no off days again?

I think its a combination of needing no travel days and trying to fit the extra round in without going into November. It royally fucks with the teams and their staffs and fatigue, but its the 2020 season so asterisk it up I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dislike that their stadium sucks in a really spectacular way, they have one really loud fan, and they're mired in a blood feud with my team.

But they're fun and not evil so Go Rays.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Man, the wind feels like its deflating a bit from the two series. I mean, I definitely think a series isn't over at 1 game and I don't want to see the Astros win one to make things interesting. But momentum is a motherfucker.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t give two shits if Trevor Bauer occasionally posts interesting poo poo about pitching, he’s still a giant racist piece of poo poo who’s prone to harassing women, so he can just go gently caress himself and languish in permanent free agency for all I care.

:amen:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not a Dodgers fan but boy I'm satisfied I bailed before that 9th and didn't watch through the tease.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ted Cruz firmly on the side of the "lean into the villainy" Astro fan strategy. A predictable and yet tragic turn of events.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing about baseball is 100 years from now some dude's grandkid is gonna be yelling at the Robot Astros that they're dirty cheaters.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing that sucks about Playoff Posters is them showing up out of nowhere to be dicks and then bailing when it goes wrong. Its just an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat because that's who they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Literally drive-by shitposting, only in this case it’s explicitly at the expense of another poster’s personal investment in a team.

If you’re gonna talk poo poo in here you gotta put the hours in, cowards.

I have a very simple rule about sports fandom. If I'm gonna wear the hat after a win I gotta wear the hat after a loss.

I'm a Jets fan who has had a lot of sad conversations because of my hat.