Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Padres/Twins for maximum fun factor imo.

Won't get either, but it's nice to dream.

Can't wait til we get a normal season again, because this is far too many playoff games.

Edit: I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually prefer the ridiculous five-team format we had compared to this insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Johnny Bravo posted:

The Cubs winning in another election year is the thing nightmares are made of

What, it's not like Donald Trump is runn--oh. Oh no. :smith:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm glad it's not just the Twins fans bemoaning this bullshit playoff format. 16 teams is too loving many and now that it's done for us I'm probably out for the rest of it and this aberration of a season.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Major League Baseball 2029: each game shall begin tied 3-3 in the 10th inning. EVERY DAY IS AN EXTRA INNING THRILLER!

You'll know it's the 10th inning because the bases start out loaded.

Only one game is played per team per season. The World Series game is chosen by lottery ball. All other games are the playoffs. All games start at the same time on the same day. Three games are randomly interleague. The World Series game is not guaranteed interleague.

The Marlins have a 9-season World Series win streak by pure dumb luck.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Not to be rude, but if such a thing as a benevolent God did exist, why would the Minnesota Twins be allowed to exist?

Because despite abject failures in the postseason that they've been since 1991, and despite some of the worst seasons in the long history of baseball in the last decade, they are fun. I absolutely love the fact that we had weirdos like Bert Blyleven and Lew Ford and Max Kepler and Nick Punto. Genuinely good people like Harmon Killebrew and Joe Mauer and Jim Thome. Great players like Kirby Puckett (the man himself less great), Johan Santana, and Rod Carew. We have one of the best ballparks in the league, easily the best mascot (I will fight you), and some pretty drat good announcers. We are a drat fine, proud team.

We just can't win a GODDAMN SERIES in the POSTSEASON. We have some of greatest single games in the sport, one of the best-ever World Series. I don't get it. I just. I don't get it.

We'd be the Mariners if the Mariners weren't the Mariners.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

You don't have to stretch at all. Twins are Mondale or Humphrey.

I mean they played in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome forever.

But yeah. It's the futility of the whole thing. Everyone knows that they'll try really hard and might make some strides, but ultimately not get anywhere.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

STAC Goat posted:

The thing about baseball is 100 years from now some dude's grandkid is gonna be yelling at the Robot Astros that they're dirty cheaters.

As well they should. Never trust a robot.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrMojok posted:

What happened to Pancakes?

I've been curious about this, too, but I figure he'll come back when there's a real season (or less of a pandemic (or both.))

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Of all the ridiculous poo poo that HOTLANTA MAN posts, this is the the one that catches a probation? C'mon now.

Also, go the Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles. I would like Kershaw to get a ring and then ride into the the sunset before we have to watch his spine tear from his body on live television.

Also many rings for many other Good Dudes.

Failing that, go the Tampa Bay Devil Rays of St. Petersburg. May your terrible dome last a thousand years.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bregor posted:

Hockey is constant but baseball gives you time to ponder your own inescapable dread and the utter meaninglessness of it all

Der Meister posted:

I hate and love baseball

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Me and a buddy were right outside Wrigley Field for game 7, made it down there just in time before police closed off the entire surrounding few blocks. Thousands of people all huddled in the streets, you could hear a pin drop after Rajai Davis hit the home run off Chapman to tie the game. One of the more surreal experiences when they won, people crying on the sidewalk and losing their minds and as we were leaving shortly afterward thousands more people were flooding in towards Wrigley.The streets were completely packed with people for many blocks around it took us almost an hour of pushing and shoving to get out. Probably will never experience anything quite like that again.

I'm so glad I didn't move to Chicago til 2017, and closer to Wrigley til 2018. My sister-in-law was in Wrigleyville for the win, and by all accounts was the most insane thing she'd ever witnessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think this is only the second time I've watched that video in full. I think I only watch the intro to The Show once, literally the first time I play that year.

I wonder how many guys on those rosters are still playing, because I'm still in that "Oh 2005 was like last month" phase of life.