Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am perfectly fine with the Cubs losing because their offense is garbage this year and they only have to starting pitchers worth a drat, but when it happens I'd like to happen to a team that is not the Cardinals, Reds, or Brewers.

Also gently caress the Astros.

Otherwise whatever. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bauer has been salty about the pine tar rules for a while now, remember a year or two ago he decided to prove the Astros were cheating with it by suddenly having one start out of the blue where all his spin rates were way up. He's presumably trying to make a point that the ban on foreign substances for pitchers as it currently exists and is enforced is bad.

Personally I think it should disqualify him from the 2020 Cy Young. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Same reason why the Cubs are ahead of the Marlins. Not sure why the Cards didn't have to play a doubleheader to sort out the final seeding, but I guess it's because it wouldn't change the eight teams who are in on the NL side.

Yeah the only thing that could happen is they could lose two which would put them behind the Reds, but both they and the Reds are in the postseason anyway so I guess MLB doesn't care.

Also :lol: the Phillies, just had to win one more game to squeak into the wild card, and they couldn't do it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

i know it won't happen because of veteran presence and really because he's been pretty decent against non-White Sox teams but i'd be curious to see Alzolay start a Game 3 over Lester.

they can pull Alzolay early and put in Lester.

:same:

I get that Lester has ~postseason experience~ but he's also beyond washed up, he is at best 5th starter material at this point and I'm sick of the Cubs treating him like he's still a front of the rotation guy. Q is presumably going to be in the pen as well so set the rotation as Yu, Hendricks, Alzolay, and have an amorphous combo of Lester/Q/Mills piggyback as needed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Red Sox fired their manager apparently, wonder if they're just going to rehire Cora once his suspension is served.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/faridyu/status/1310646869710823428

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Whatever happened to Puig? I know he caught the rona near the start of the season, but presumably he's long since over it? I'm surprised zero teams tried to roll the dice on him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can't even be all that mad about the Cardinals this year, they've had a ton of injuries and Flaherty turned into a pumpkin. The fact that despite these they still managed to navigate an incredibly brutal schedule as MLB tried to pack in all their COVID makeups and come in second for the division is impressive as hell.

That said I would appreciate it if they lost in the first round.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs confirm Kyle for Game 1, Yu for Game 2, Lester for a potential Game 3.

Please dear god don't let it go to a Game 3.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The fact that there were still blackouts this year when in-market fans couldn't even attend the loving games was asinine. gently caress MLB, gently caress broadcasting companies.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Quick way to lose $20 imo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Let's go the motherfucking A's!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shiroc posted:

We started with 7 Central Division teams in the playoffs and we might end tomorrow with zero.

Inshallah

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

more falafel please posted:

It's not even that, they figured that out in 2017, and then he figured out that they're gonna hang them occasionally and he can just sit on those and put divots on Waveland. He's swinging through FBs now. He apparently really depended on looking at film on the ipad in the dugout, and they don't let you do that anymore. Basically gently caress the astros

That smacks of a poor excuse, not convinced Javy watching footage of himself swinging through three straight up and in fastballs was going to help him next AB.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine actually giving up a baserunner to throw at somebody in a loving postseason game over unwritten rules poo poo. Acuna barely even flipped the loving bat, get over yourself Alcantara.

...Oh who am I kidding that was entirely ordered by Don "No fun allowed, particularly if your skin is black or brown" Mattingly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jjcoop36/status/1313908895769919493

:rip:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/FoolishBB/status/1314309113988419584
https://twitter.com/mdthompFWFB/status/1314314097496817664

lmao we live in the dumbest possible timeline.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Trevor Bauer sucks more cause he's a weird internet creep who internet stalked a woman who said he wasn't as good as Alex Bregman and had his Twitter followers harass her.

He has bad opinions but is also just a genuine creep.

Wasn't he also the one who had the weird incel-vibes dating checklist or am I thinking about somebody else?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Brosseau hitting the go ahead HR to win the ALDS for the Rays off Chapman after Champman intentionally threw at his head is :discourse:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1315749396970041344

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

wtf Tommy Pham was stabbed in San Diego last night

https://twitter.com/sdut/status/1315794765372219392

those boys really opened pandora's box with that hype video

https://twitter.com/atf13atf/status/1315797917622505474

What the gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I get the bit he's doing but man Bauer is not looking great in these "looks like [insert playoff team] needs some pitching eh :smug:" tweets.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

boroda posted:

O Kershaw, my Kershaw.

Taking him off the roster means he still would be out if they make the next round, right?

Alex Wood, game 5 4 starter?

Maybe just call up Mitch White and call the series.

Oh hey I forgot the Dodgers re-signed Wood, I wonder how he pitched this yea-... oh.

Yeah maybe call up White.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/THEREAL_DV/status/1316080095510003713
This implies the issue is mild enough he will start tomorrow or maybe Thursday, as he usually does this work the day before a start. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn it isn't that mild and he starts game 3 or 4 despite being in significant pain.

Kershaw is absolutely the guy who just shows up in the pen in full uniform to get his work in after being told in no uncertain terms to stay home and loving rest because he needs to rest his back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1316418249316335616

:lol::lol::lol: Jerry is actually going to hire this loving boob because they're friends even though he's a poo poo manager who's been out of the gig for a decade. They kicked out Renteria for this.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao how are the sox interviewing la russa how is this real

Jerry is a hack who's more interested in getting his old friend on payroll than he is actually letting the FO do it's job and find somebody who will actually nurture and take advantage of the Sox young and fun core.

I'm still in shock he let the new Bulls FO fire Boylen. Jerry seems to be a sucker for the cantankerous tough guy coach routine.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

So Manfred hasn't decided yet if the NL will use the DH next year? Would be nice to know that before free agency starts...

If he wants it then he'll get it, outside of a couple pitchers who think they can hit the DH seems to be popular with players, and of course the union would love for there to be more slots for big beefy guys who can't field. I'd be very surprised if the universal DH was a one and done.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

MrMidnight posted:

I heard Jomboy say the Yanks won't spend any money at all this off-season. Probably will be the case for a lot of teams.

Yeah I think a lot of teams are going to cry poor this offseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Lmao why are people glad my cheating team got owned on national television? Pwease wike the astwos, we wewen't banging twash cans this yeaw 🥺👉👈

:hmmyes:

quote:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:hmmno:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Vernacular posted:

I think it will depend on how well things go in the first few innings. If we can get a lead together early then yes I'd guess Gonsolin will do the heavy lifting, but if not I'd imagine it's Julio.

Roberts is gonna put Kershaw in on short rest to get the save and you know it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

more falafel please posted:

If the dodgers win, we can put the Kershaw playoff narrative to bed probably

Only if Kershaw himself pitches well in the WS. Otherwise the narrative will be that the Dodgers finally won a WS "in spite" of Kershaw.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hope the Dodgers win because my LA sports fan roommate is going through the worst loving family medical bullshit on the planet in addition to 2020 being 2020, so him getting to see both the Lakers and Dodgers win it all this year would hopefully be a much needed source of joy for him.

Also while the Rays are young and fun I'm annoyed at their team philosophy of "never spend money on players, ever." Meanwhile the Dodgers handed Mookie a gigantic extension in the middle of a pandemic despite basically every other team crying poor.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/status/1318579296823332864

quote:

“I didn’t know we were cheating. I had no idea. I wasn’t involved. Major League Baseball’s report stated that I didn’t know anything about the trash can banging scheme. They stated I might have known something about the video decoding scheme and not paid it much attention. But there was really no credible evidence of that claim. I didn’t know. I didn’t know about either of them. And it felt like, on that day, that I was getting punished for something that I didn’t do. And it didn’t feel right.”

"There had been some rumors in 2018, and in fact at two points in time, someone from MLB told me either in a casual conversation or called me, and said there had been rumors of the Astros sign-stealing in 2017. But, I wasn’t asked to follow-up on it, they weren’t asking me to do anything. It was sort of a heads-up, and I didn’t think we were doing anything so I didn’t pursue it."

"I asked Rob Manfred for a meeting in New York, and I put together a binder. It’s about 150 pages long. It’s 14 different tabs. And I refuted, with facts, with emails, with documents, with testimony, each and every single allegation that was in that charging document. I sent it to him ahead of him, and I went through it with him there in person. I also looked at him and I told him “I would like to take a lie detector test,” because it essentially came down to one person’s word that I might have known against my word.

Q: Why would Rob Manfred say ‘no’ to you taking a lie detector test? Why would he not call your references? Why would he not want that?

“Major League Baseball had to deliver a punishment that was perceived as severe to the other clubs. The Dodgers, and other clubs, but I know the Dodgers for sure, were adamant about some big punishments. And they wanted the manager, and they wanted the general manager to go down in this scandal. And they got it. And I think the investigation was not attempting to really uncover who did what, and who was really responsible. The goal of the investigation was to deliver punishments that Rob could feel good about and that would calm the panic. There was a drumbeat for punishments and so they weren’t going to punish Jim, like I said, they weren’t going to punish the players. I didn’t have an assistant GM; we have a very thin front office in terms of layers, so there wasn’t too many places to go. So they had to create a case they felt good enough about in order to punish me.”

Emphasis mine. lol at "MLB literally told me twice they knew our team cheated, but I didn't think we did so I just didn't do anything about it." Even if you believe that crock of poo poo doesn't exactly paint him as an incredible organizational leader.

Also gotta love "IT WAS A DODGERS-LEAD WITCH HUNT! I'M INNOCENT, I EVEN OFFERED TO TAKE A POLYGRAPH TEST AND THEY SAID NO!!!!" :qq:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:discourse:

Intruder posted:

I can't believe you didn't highlight this part

because literally everyone from front offices to players to fans thinks the Astros got away with it scot free. There's no way this could be perceived as severe to other clubs

lol completely missed that, yeah buddy they passed over the players to punish you in order to be severe.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/sdutKevinAcee/status/1318625546809479168

He had about 3 or so ounces of weed on him, cops pulled him over late at night and found it in his car. No details on why he was pulled over but considering Campusano is a person of color I'm going to default to "gently caress the police" until I hear otherwise.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah there's zero incentive to win your division in the current expanded format. You get zero edge besides better seeding, but the thing is this isn't basketball and seeding isn't the be all end all because better teams do not consistently beat worse teams: the playoffs are just as much of a crapshot about who is hot. So if anything winning your division could actually gently caress you over because it puts you against a team that has suddenly gotten hot in the last week and roared into third place in their division for a playoff spot. And then you get steamrolled.

I get that Manfred can only see dollar signs but this format is garbage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I don't mind the idea of expanded playoffs period, I just dislike this current format which offers functionally zero incentive to winning your division. The best team in baseball and the worst-record playoff team both get dumped into a best of three series in the first round, so why sweat winning the division if you can comfortably grab one of the five billion WC spots? If the format was tweaked so that, for example, division winners got a bye in the first round and the wild cards had to weed themselves down a bit before playing the division winners, then fine whatever have fun expanding the playoffs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

The only rule change that I am a hard no on is the stupid extra-innings runner on second rule. Where did they even come up with that?

My guess is that MLB was getting poo poo from networks about how it's annoying to program around MLB games, which is why you have Manfred crusading about game length and trying to artificially limit the amount of extra innings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bregor posted:

https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal/status/1319334510580944901

oh cool the only actual good rule change is on the chopping block

Now that the players have gotten a taste Manfred is gonna dangle it as a bargaining chip during the CBA negotiations. Universal DH is like, one of the few rule changes the union actually likes, so of course they're not getting it for free.