Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sometime in the mid 80-s I found a biography of him in the elementary school library and it included some old family photos and there was one of Gibson in some full on Poindexter Coke bottle glasses.

Funner Fact: Bob Gibson played for the Harlem Globetrotters before making the majors.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/just-because-bob-gibson-basketball-star/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

Hate Every Team But Your Team

But doctor, I hate my team more.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Poque posted:

there is literally no way any team is offering $400M to any player ever again after 2020 and the threat of 2021

Now is the winter of our discontent at the number of one year deals being offered, and probably accepted.

Between cost cutting, fear of the new CBA, and unknowns for 2021 in general it’s going to be a bloodbath this winter.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Intruder posted:

Well I'm avoiding this thread until the relitigation of whether or not the Astros cheated is over with

You could get a few people together to monitor the thread in real time, figure out what's going on, and have them signal you when it's safe to post.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

MrMojok posted:

Now if they are going to allow half the teams in the league into the playoffs and have all these short series at the beginning, why bother trying to build a team to do better than say, 90-72, 88-74?

Unless, that’s exactly what MLB wants?!

This is exactly what they want, and why they want it.

It might end up helping some mid-tier free agents, but would absolutely crater the top end. Everyone agrees the playoffs are a crapshoot, why pay for wins 85 to 100 when there’s no added value?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Also front loading the playoffs with a short series is really annoying if a 105 win team is now two hung sliders from gone.

Owners won’t stop swinging till the golden goose is paste.

The downward salary pressure is the goal here- tv money is the cherry on top. We’re talking billions of dollars compared to a few hundred million on top for the other round. In 5-10 years when nobody except the degenerates cares about the regular season (Which leads to less investment in the post-season, which leads to...) that’ll be the next guys problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Contract two teams, move to a fully balanced schedule (27 opponents * 6 games each = 162 games) and play the World Series between the top two teams each year :doit:

Alternatively, expand to 32, fully balanced schedule with no interleague (15 opponents * 10 games each = 150 games). Play 5 game series and you'd also reduce travel.

Once things are back to “normal” MLB is going to expand ASAP if for no other reason than the quick infusion of cash. They’ll want to keep some form of interleague though, for the rivalry bullshit at least.