Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I think the Astros are good actually and I don't care about sign stealing (things I also don't care about: Bonds juicing (really anyone), deflategate, Spygate, Lance Armstrong's RBC)

They will probably be tossed from the playoffs this time next week, for now I'm enjoying the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

STAC Goat posted:

The fun part about the Astros is its barely even about the cheating. Its about the smugness, the misogyny, the rear end in a top hat behavior, the complete lack of consequences, the defamation of reporters, the celebration of domestic abuse, etc.

I do care about that! Brandon Taubman and signing Osuna were far worse than the sign stealing scandal to me.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Oakland losing to Houston would be infuriating but of course that is what is going to happen

I dont think it will happen, but think that would be good actually.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Get your CSPAM analogies straight - the Lunhow era Astros were the real enemy, the DNC, relentlessly data focused, they built a doom machine while rigging the game to ensure that more deserving clubs didn't have a shot.

The Yankees are Bernie Sanders I guess.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bewbies posted:

glad we agree he's a trash player and person

He didn't even use the trash can system lol.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bewbies posted:

consider me legitimately shocked to discover this is actually true. previous argument retracted.

that doesn't explain Houston fans comfort with cheating but I suppose it makes them mildly less repugnant

You're legitimately shocked that the 4th largest and most diverse City in the country votes Dem?

You likely aren't interested, but I'm not "fine" with cheating, I just don't care. The history of baseball is the history of cheating. A's fans don't disown the bash brothers teams because they were juiced to the gills, Red Sox fans aren't suddenly going to think 2004 loses luster because Manny and Ortiz were juicing and Curt Schilling is a bad person. No one cares that the shot heard round the world was from a sign stolen with a telescope. Baseball is what it is, and it's naive to think what the Astros did was the one thing beyond the pale. Is it good? no - it's frustrating because that team was stacked and didn't need it and has ruined the reputation of genuinely good people like Altuve (when that twitter guy did the deep dive on every at bat in 2017, Altuve and Reddick were the ones who didn't use the system, everyone else did regularly).

I have my own personal reasons for why the 2017 run was special (particularly Game 5 of the WS) and what it meant to me and some people angry on the internet questioning my moral character because of sports won't really change that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I wonder if the outrage about the Astros makes people understand boomer sportswriters who grew up with Hank Aaron that are MAF at steroids users.

Prob not though.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Glasnow on 2 days is nuts.

Rematch of last year's ALDS Game 5!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Whatever you gotta do to convince yourself everyone from the same geographic region as the Astros is bad too.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

lol all of a sudden SAS thinks Bauer’s whole “2000’s era Internet contrarian/troll” shtick is hilarious

I thought we had better taste than that now

I dunno - we're back to calling people midgets and retards and what not so everything old is new again.

Ron Paul 2024.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

lol what if the Astros had a novel sign stealing system in their back pocket all year which they rolled out for the DS?

we should wildly speculate about the integrity of any offensive success they have at this point

They just never found the cameras they put in Dodger stadium in 2017, like riding a bike that is loud and notifies you when a breaking ball is coming.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

Brosseau hitting the go ahead HR to win the ALDS for the Rays off Chapman after Champman intentionally threw at his head is :discourse:

It was also one of the best AB's I've ever seen - amazing in every way.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kirios posted:

I don't think Aaron Boone's the guy to lead the Yankees. I feel like he isn't maximizing their talent.

AJ Hinch is available

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

chamois posted:

I'm a big fan of any rationale where cheating to win a world series is not as bad as winning with guys on cheap contracts. Anyway go NL.

At the time, the Astros cheated to win a World Series all with guys on cheap contracts except Verlander and Yuli Gurriel - best of both worlds!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The new take of actually the Yankees and Dodgers having huge payrolls is good is odd.

Do they just pay their guys and not do service time shenanigans? Are Judge, Torres, Bellinger, Seager etc... on better contracts than the Rays young talent?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

fast cars loose anus posted:

Right and as a fan would you rather be the team that would never, ever let a Jeter or Rivera walk for money or a team that if they developed one you knew for certain they'd be playing somewhere else just as soon as their cheap years ran out or sooner

Part of if is that they're Tampa and players will bolt for bigger and better markets regardless of whether Tampa offered them the moon. For the Astros, it was the Beltran situation after 2004, they offered him an enormous contract, but nothing was going to stop him from going to NY.

Did they make any sort of concerted effort to keep the 2008 WS team together? Evan Longoria played there forever, but I don't really know beyond that.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 11, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

i feel bad for our dodgers posters, this must suck to watch every year

at the same time lol at the dodgers

What sucks to watch? They're awesome and have been for like 8 years, they win 100+ games all the time, have won 2 pennants, have the greatest pitcher of the decade on their team and have the best hitter (non-Trout category) in MLB on their team.

They are absolutely stacked with young talent and are going to be awesome for 10 more years, they'll probably come back against the Braves then win it all this year because they're the best team I've seen since the late 90's Yankees.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I just went back and checked the game logs. Since this piece was published, Kershaw has exited postseason games with 8 total runners on (2 on four different times) and all 8 of them were allowed to score. Thus, over his career, the Dodgers bullpen has allowed 80% of inherrited Kershaw postseason runners to score.

The last time the Dodgers bullpen stranded a Kershaw runner in October was the 2015 NLDS, when they allowed 2 of 3 to score. The last time they didn't allow any of his runners to score was the 2009 NLCS vs PHI, where he left with 1 on.

This is absolutely insane - holy poo poo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Literally drive-by shitposting, only in this case it’s explicitly at the expense of another poster’s personal investment in a team.

If you’re gonna talk poo poo in here you gotta put the hours in, cowards.

Nah - the idea of a posting threshold is dumb

Anyway, cant wait for Springer to be signed for a bazillion dollars by the Dodgers to have these guys suddenly rationalize away their prior position that anyone who stole signs electronically should be banned from baseball and fastballs to the head should be encouraged.

It was great with Mookie, it is loving fantastic with folk hero Joe Kelly, when they sign a 2017 Astro it will make my heart sing.

All of this because down 3-1, the Dodgers aren't even loving eliminated. Teams come down from 3-1 all the time, and seems like the best baseball team constructed in the last 20 years may be able to win 3 loving games in a row.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 16, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Although it would be funny, I have a suspicion the Dodgers won't be signing a RF

Springer largely plays CF - an OF of Betts, Bellinger, and Springer seems ok.

Only 2 of the 3 confirmed horrible horrendous piece of poo poo human beings who don't respect the game.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Poque posted:

I no longer need anything in life, can confirm

Same, even with the sign stealing.

Also - is there some corner of the internet or media outlet that is nice to the Astros somewhere that I'm missing?

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 16, 2020

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Team went to the World Series and was a bad Greinke pull away from winning it all again without sign stealing. Pretty sure they've already proven they're good.

and you have to be watching different broadcasts than I am - they've called the Astros joyless, talk about the dark cloud of cheating and on and on and on.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

It didn't say that - and nothing has been identified that they did anything other than the trash can thing which the report said was abandoned in early 2018.

The only other thing is Jomboy and a fake Beltran niece talking about buzzers. The Astros definitely didn't earn the benefit of the doubt, but to me, it's nonsense (however, given their actions in 2017 - I get why you and the rest of the universe think otherwise).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The report said they stopped decoding signs in 2018 because they thought it became ineffective (e.g., teams figured it out and coded their signs)

Relevant language.

However, the Astros’ replay review room
staff continued, at least for part of the 2018 season, to decode signs using the live center
field camera feed, and to transmit the signs to the dugout through in-person
communication. At some point during the 2018 season, the Astros stopped using the replay
review room to decode signs because the players no longer believed it was effective.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This sure is something. Capitalism is a hell of a drug.

https://twitter.com/Jomboy_/status/1317229598678130688?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This playoff run was a ton of fun.

Losing to Charlie Morton, the greatest big game pitcher of all time and perfect human, is a beautiful way to go. The baseball equivalent of passing away peacefully at home at 95 surrounded by friends and family.

Looking forward to being back at MMP next year in the regular seats if our country can get its poo poo together on COVID. With the emergence of Framber, Javier, and Urquiddy - I am very excited about the future.

I will also cry like a baby if Springer signs anywhere else.