Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Rorobb posted:

I haven’t really been following the league that much outside of the Rays this year but is this analysis legit? https://reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/j1cdwg/trevor_bauer_thinks_trevor_bauer_is_probably/

Lol is Trevor Bauer just blatantly cheating to troll manfred? Sorry if this is old news

Yes, and they effectively can't call him on it, because "everyone does it" or at least a large enough percentage of pitchers do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That's a weird way to seed when all the teams involved are the lower seeds (though there's no homefield advantage to make that matter much) but OK, I guess that makes sense. Messed up seeding is a baseball wild card tradition.

The first round series is hosted at the higher seed's ballpark, so home field is very much real.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

in addition to how great he has been pitching, i should point out that yu darvish has incredible hair this season

Fly Young is a lock

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

STAC Goat posted:

Now I'm genuinely tempted to buy a Mookie Betts Red Sox Funko Pop figure. I'm not sure why but for $4 I'm sure I can come up with something.

If you have a Red Sox fan friend, $4 is a pretty cheap troll gift

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

A's/White Sox was such a good match up it's really lame they only had a 3 game series.

This. Same with TB/TOR.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://twitter.com/richardstaff/status/1311895308931149824?s=21

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

lovely headline, read the article

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lvh6NLqKRfs

I knew about bob Gibson before the bob emergency but I didn't Know About Bob Gibson before the Bob emergency

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Timby posted:

Teams finally realized that all you need to do is spam breaking balls low and away at him like you're playing The Show and he'll swing at them all day long.

It's not even that, they figured that out in 2017, and then he figured out that they're gonna hang them occasionally and he can just sit on those and put divots on Waveland. He's swinging through FBs now. He apparently really depended on looking at film on the ipad in the dugout, and they don't let you do that anymore. Basically gently caress the astros

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The Pussy Boss posted:

Thinking about the 2018 draft... it's funny how pissed Giants fans were about missing the #1 pick and not getting Mize. Dude had a lousy rookie year: 7 ERA, 1.48 WHIP and looked pretty hittable, to me. Then again, Joey Bart hit .233 with no dingers and a ton of strikeouts. I'm sure they will both be good players, just funny to think about.

Meanwhile, from that draft, Bohm and Madrigal are hitting up a storm so far. And uh, Kyler Murray ran for 78 yards last week :v:

Was that the year Sandoval hit a walkoff in game 162 to lose them the first draft pick

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

blossommirage posted:

To be fair, the Braves are trying pretty hard to get away from that it feels like. I really loved the Chop growing up, but I'll be glad when other fans take the hint and stop doing it.

They definitely weren't trying to get away from it when they built their new ballpark

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kirios posted:

How did the Cubs lose to the Marlins? They looked real bad every game against the Braves.

The Cubs have been "trying to put it together at the plate" since November 3, 2016. they're in a mediocre division and didn't win it the last two years before. Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras didn't hit this year at all. They have two starting pitchers, a guy who looks like he used to be a starting pitcher, and whatever an Alec Mills is. I honestly don't know who the fifth starter was this year and I follow this team. Was it Tyler chatwood? Was it adbert alzolay? Was it "bullpen game because St. Louis is a covid encrusted flat earth shithole and we have to play 12 games in 2 days?" The bullpen is Jeremy Jeffress, Craig Kimbrel except he's broken except sometimes he gets out of it because Veteran Experience, and 7 guys named Adam Kyle. No one can get a lefty out. Theo stopped giving a poo poo because his ticket to Cooperstown is booked. The Ricketts are too focused on the trump campaign to care about anything except bulldozing wrigleyville, and the games aren't on WGN anymore.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

God Hank Azaria's Vin Scully is dead on.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Inspector_666 posted:

Also they lost track of the count in two loving consecutive NLDS games, it's unbelievable.

In one of these it was the broadcast/stadium scoreboard that lost track of the count. The ump made no signal on a ball low and outside which was thrown to second to catch a runner stealing (I forget if they got him). The call was reviewed and for some reason the stadium, and subsequently the broadcast, had it as 0-1. The ump had never signaled a strike and eventually clarified that it was 1-0. Ump did nothing wrong.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

That's like, 5 since August, right? Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford, Joe Morgan?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Squall posted:

I think they can beat the Dodgers.

Dodgers are the favorites for sure but I believe in this team.

Yeah, I didn't think the Nats had any chance against the Dodgers last year (although that was a 5-game series).

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ugh, that loving sucks. I'm not a Dodger fan but anyone who doesn't like Kershaw doesn't like baseball.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

Nah, Rays all the way IMO

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If the dodgers win, we can put the Kershaw playoff narrative to bed probably, and avoid seeing endless takes about this stretch of dodger baseball being "fruitless" for decades to come, plus vin scully will probably make a speech and I'll cry about it even though I've never been a dodger fan, and they're the biggest obstacle to my team winning another World Series

But if the rays win Jeff Sullivan will be on Effectively Wild, so it's impossible to say who I should root for

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bip Roberts posted:

Vins gonna tell everyone in dodgerland to vote trump

oh no please don't tell me vin is a chud

Spoeank posted:

I am a lifelong Tampa Bay Rays fan now. I love Wade Boggs and James Shields and Carlos Peña and Manuel Margot

my brain is broke in all kinda ways but even remembering it happening I cannot process the concept of Wade Boggs, Tampa Bay (Devil) Ray

also bawfuls holy poo poo don't go to the World Series, can you just meet up with your dad and drink and watch the games with him?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I like Kershaw a lot but the hat is very bad. My Cubs World Series 5950 is like 1/10 that bad and I wore that poo poo almost every day for like a year, and now I don't wear it anymore because it's gross

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the poor clubbie who has to take off the patches every series :gonk:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm ok with a 16 team playoff if the league(s) expand to 32 teams. gently caress the extra innings rule though. If you have the sense to realize you shouldn't do it in the postseason you shouldn't do it in the regular season (covid notwithstanding)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If they keep the extra innings rule there is 100% going to be a >9 inning perfect game loss and we already have enough meaningless poo poo to argue about

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bregor posted:

https://twitter.com/LaVelleNeal/status/1319334510580944901

oh cool the only actual good rule change is on the chopping block

is this saying anything other than "the previous rule change was just for 2020, if they want to do a DH in the NL they'll need to agree to it again for 2021" because we already knew that

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The story I've always gotten about DiMaggio is that he was a great player, maybe not the best but inner circle level, and he got screwed by the war and his illness. So not held in as high regard as Cobb/Williams/Mays/Mantle/Ruth, but like the next level, and with a lot against him that was out of his control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GalacticAcid posted:

For years there have been way more dead weight tanking AL teams than NL, what the gently caress are you smoking

People think NL team records being clustered towards the middle means that all the 90 win teams are terrible, instead of that the 80 win teams are pretty good. Meanwhile in the AL, half the league is actively in the middle of a rebuild and the same people think teams that beat up on the tigers, royals, (pre-2020) White Sox, Orioles, rangers, and mariners are better