Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

who are the other two for this year?

https://www.mlb.com/news/big-league-debuts-in-postseason

Astros and Rays also have debut players on their playoff rosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Not GDT

Jay Johnstone died of Corona.

I'm just old enough to kinda sorta remember him as a player, but definitely old enough to know that Jay Johnstone had a kick rear end 1984 Fleer card.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

Why? The Twins haven't won a playoff game since I became old enough to legally drink, which I suppose is lucky timing for me.

Shiiiiiit. The M's last won a playoff series on my 30th birthday and I turn 49 in two weeks.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d rather see the Yanks bounced by the Rays for maximum schadenfreude.

Can it be on what would be a series winning hit by Judge as he pulls up lame unable to reach 1st in time while the Rays announcers giggle?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

someone at some point did a breakdown of his at bats in the WS and he was absolutely putrid in any of them that mattered

There's a number of articles about it, but it's basically true. Hit .375 with no errors, but also didn't hit well in the games that were thrown or only after the game was out of hand, and apparently played unusually lazy defense, allowing runners to advance, etc.

Leads you to wonder just how drat good he was to be able to turn it on and off like that, but it's all moot to me.

It's well known that he accepted money. Whether he threw a single play or not, one talk with one single reporter could have blown the whole thing wide open. gently caress him just as hard as Pete Rose.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lou Brock, Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, and now Ford.

These four all in the last 33 days. 2020, stop it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Red posted:

Is or was there a baseball card thread?

Intruder posted:

I think there was at one point but it's lost to the sands of time so just start one?

There was. I used to half follow it but eventually unbookmarked it when it hit something like 2 years without a post. Jeffersonlives used to post in it a ton.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

more falafel please posted:

That's like, 5 since August, right? Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford, Joe Morgan?

Brock died September 6th. This is absurd. And not just HOFers (not that it matters), but Gibson, Seaver and Morgan are just absurd upper level HOFers at their positions.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

Kershaw is going to asplode his spine in an effort to win the useless plague cup

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Rays all the way for sure, but if not - I'll be happy.

Mookie/Kershaw get rings? Cool.
Acuña /Albies get rings? Cool. (If the Braves win I will absolutely pretend that Felix made the team, didn't opt out of the season, and got a ring as well.)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This is wonderful and I want to see runners getting doubled off bases with it. 3 run homer turned into a triple play, please.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Can I get a lil' happy 19th birthday to the M's last post season game?

It's all grown up and excited to vote in the upcoming election. Might even head up to Canada to drink legally.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bregor posted:

I remember a remix of that video with anime music and bad graphics of the Earth imploding and for the life of me I can't find it on Youtube. :smith:

I thought that was the Rivera home run clip but could be misremembering. Has a name in Kanji (I think) and unless you bookmark it - it's impossible to find.

Well drat. I'd swear there's a version of his HR off Rivera as well. With some scene of an apocalyptic movie or something?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

From 2012 (the movie) I think.

I used to have it favorited on youtube but it got deleted at some point :(

Yeah - I came up with the movie name but no amount of googling found it for me. Doesn't help that you get a ton of results for the home run itself.

I can even hear the silly rear end music they dubbed in on the video.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bewbies posted:

Dimaggio's '41 season is still maybe my favorite baseball season of all time. Dude was using a loving log for a bat and only struck out 13 times.

He has an absurd as Hell record 7 seasons where he hit more HRs than he had strike outs. (20 HR min.)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The play last night was so nuts my non baseball watching (other than what I force her to) wife just asked if Jomboy had a video up for it yet.

Side note - my wife likes Jomboy breakdown vids in part cause she thinks he sounds like the guy that played Nick on "New Girl" and I can never not hear that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I noticed that last night when they were showing the replay and was pretty shocked that Smoltz didn't say anything about it

(It's a mug full of Smoltz's tears.)